Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well Finally officially started my build today on my 2020 AWD 130WB Passenger Van. I'm going for a very unique build that will allow me to carry 10 people, switch to a cargo van and even drop in a tail-gaiting style kitchen complete with hot water and an outdoor shower. Later I'll add a drop-in bed platform. The challenge will be making everything work and making it look very 'professional' in the process. I'm going to DIY as much as possible, including a roof rack and window coverings, not just to save $, but because I can!

Today I started removing ceiling panels and putting in Amazon Basics Car Sound Deadener, 9.8″ x 15.7, went well and it seems like a good quality product. So far I've only finished the ceiling leaving a spot for my MaxxAir Fan.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once I removed the headliner I could actually walk around the van without brushing my head. This got me thinking I want to make a large cutout in the headliner maybe 44 x 96 and put a custom panel it, which would work well because I want to change most of the lights and put spotlights in for my passenger too. Has anyone done this?

The cutout would still allow the airbags and vents to function properly.

I've sketched out what I think I can do. I would have to figure a way to close of the edge and trim it out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
@gdufour1 Another passenger build!! I think cutting that out would look pretty awesome! I added some puck lights and a fan in the ceiling of our passenger van!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I came up with my electrical system design for interior lighting. I wanted to have spotlights for the first two rows of passenger seats. I'll install switches for each of these. For the interior lights I added, I wanted the option to have them switch on when the doors open, or operate in camping mode where they can be turned on /off or dimmed. I decided to power all these new lights from the house battery. This ensures that I am not overloading the existing interior lighting wiring or fuses.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Flarespace posted this recently. thought it was pretty neat. Van build was done by AVC Rig. It seats 8 and they claim it sleep 5. Im pretty sure that bed lift is just a converted standing desk...

·
Registered
654 Posts
Interesting. I have another cross member in my 148" 2017 passenger van located about where shown in red lines. Mine is a 350HD extended. I don't have any areas in my roof with that long of an unsuppported area.

·
Registered
654 Posts
This is what my ceiling is looking like after sound deadening. All of the roof has a nice dull thumping sound when I hit any area.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting. I have another cross member in my 148" 2017 passenger van located about where shown in red lines. Mine is a 350HD extended. I don't have any areas in my roof with that long of an unsuppported area.
View attachment 148289
Hmm all the more reason to get my roof deck done. I don’t try to sit on my van

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: Still waiting on my order from Tnutz to finish my roof rack, with the cedar deck, so yesterday I removed the carpet and replaced it with vinyl. The carpet just held so much dirt and sand. It took a lot of pulling and a heat gun helped to get the old carpet out. I used it as a template to cut the floor out with a sharp utility knife. I did not use any glue because the glue that held the carpet down was still in place and very tacky, so it bonded well to the new floor. I'm very happy with how it turned out. The vinyl will be much easier to clean. Here's what I bought: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B076H88KX6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well Finally officially started my build today on my 2020 AWD 130WB Passenger Van. I'm going for a very unique build that will allow me to carry 10 people, switch to a cargo van and even drop in a tail-gaiting style kitchen complete with hot water and an outdoor shower. Later I'll add a drop-in bed platform. The challenge will be making everything work and making it look very 'professional' in the process. I'm going to DIY as much as possible, including a roof rack and window coverings, not just to save $, but because I can!

Today I started removing ceiling panels and putting in Amazon Basics Car Sound Deadener, 9.8″ x 15.7, went well and it seems like a good quality product. So far I've only finished the ceiling leaving a spot for my MaxxAir Fan. View attachment 147938
using a passenger Transit for both camping and passengers is just what I want to do. Is a 150 out of the question for this?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
using a passenger Transit for both camping and passengers is just what I want to do. Is a 150 out of the question for this?
I don't believe so. It's generally more limited, but we still plan on sleeping in a tent most of the time. Maybe only camping in the van when it's really cold out. My kitchen will also be a tailgate-style, so different than the traditional in the van kitchen.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Update: Still waiting on my order from Tnutz to finish my roof rack, with the cedar deck, so yesterday I removed the carpet and replaced it with vinyl.
I'm over the carpet too. It's a mess.

Those looks great. How does it feel on bare skin, tolerable? Any issues with smell?

I'm about to build my bed platform and starting to think I should tackle the floor. How long did the project take?

Thanks!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Took probably 45-60 mins to remove the old including pulling trim pieces out. Another 30 mins to cut and maybe 30 mins to get it to line up and smooth out. Feels nice on skin not slippery picks up dust easily but can be swept or wiped down really fast. I’m very happy with it.

feels fine on bare skin it may get a bit hot in direct sun, but I have tinted windows

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok after a long time working on this the bulk of my electrical system is done! I built a custom box to fit around the rear A/C while still allowing
me to have all the seats installed. This was not easy. I made sure to keep all the AC vents clear too and kept all the heat producing inverter and charge controller on the outside. I even installed some strip LEDs for looking at it in the dark.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts