Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been wanting to weigh it since we first got it in December. But I'm lazy and never went to a scale. The gas-station off the 99 had a CAT scale. How much? What do I do? Cool. I'm in. That was easy.

Wish I'd weighed it empty. This is full fuel tank (~180lbs) and full internal water tank (~160lbs) and two of us in the rig (~250 total) plus various stuff like bikes and gear. No way to accurately guess all the gear... probably less than ~200lbs? So new "base weight" in low 8,000s? Basically about a ton over stock?

I don't know what weight I expected. This is 2020 EB AWD HR-Ext Cargo with windows. So as heavy as a Cargo gets; but lighter than the Passenger to start. Stock Passenger EB AWD HR-Ext is ~7200lbs. Guessing this was in the ~6000+lbs range. Pretty sure the "Base Curb Weight" is supposed to be a mostly-full fuel tank... FWIW... so probably low 6,000s (windows weighing more than steel sides).

Still yet to add another ~150lbs of water underneath the rig, a shower module, OBA system, and miscellaneous heater and stuff. Another ~500 pounds? Pushing that rear axle limit, I think. No wonder the AirRide has made things better. It's beefed up the rear suspension a bit, I'm sure.

Definitely going to weigh it again after the final stuff is installed.

Registered
2020 Transit Cargo LWB AWD 350
I weighed my 2020 AWD HR LWB (non-extended) cargo and the build added 2800 lbs based on a 50% full fuel tank and 25% full FW tank (25 gal cap.) It's a 3/4" ply build (flooring, carpentry), with a few panels at 1/4" (walls, ceiling, cabinet backing). a/c was 85 lbs, lithium was 138 lbs, Aluminess rack, 110v appliances, chargers, converters, Murphy bed. It was a 9500 lb GVWR order, so there's a bit to spare for light towing needs.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow. ~2800? So my ~2,000 added is looking good! :LOL:

But I'm not finished yet... 馃

Registered
So.....my take away is that wherever possible we should be watching the weight of the build carefully?

Registered
2017 Transit T250 3.7L. 148wb magnetic
So.....my take away is that wherever possible we should be watching the weight of the build carefully?
You got that right who wants to drive a tank? , more money for fuel and more wear and tear on the van.
Take care of the van and hopefully the van will take care of us.

Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
What kind of gas mileage are you guys getting? I'm getting near the end of my build so I won't be adding much more weight and I'm getting 18 mpg but i just added an AC unit on the roof so I'm guessing it'll go down. I have a 2020 AWD medium roof.

Premium Member
Good reason to buy a dual rear wheel set up.

Registered
My van (in sig) weighs 6,300 pounds with me and my tools/parts/shelving inside. I know this because I have to get weighed (in and out) at the dump.

Registered
I'm fairly sure before adding any of my conversion build, I weighed in at 1440+1180=2620 kg (5776 lbs).

After conversion and with my provisions reasonably full, I've gone through a scale about three times and seen a similar number: 1670+1820=3490 kg (7694 lbs).

Both are with fuel close to full. My build is somewhat minimalist, with a focus on lightweight materials where possible.

Someone tell me if these numbers seem out of whack, but that's what the scale said. I was the only occupant, weighing in around 100kg (220 lbs)

Reactions: Timetogo

Registered
I would say that most builds are close to overloaded with any kind of interior. the build i just finished weighed 2600lbs more than stock with gear and full tanks. thats a lot. gear is probably close to 500 lbs. Wanted to weigh before loading but spaced it.

Registered
Not too worried about it, I always wanted a early 1980s custom van with a queen bed and a refrigerator and that is what I have. Build weight 800 pounds and half of that is wood.

The first year started out as a full conversion after getting caught up in what everyone else was doing at that time, But I have been down sizing every since since most of that was unneeded for my use.

Registered
2015 high roof not extended with full gas tank and no passengers weighed 5520 lbs empty. GVWR rating of 9000 lbs.

Conversion with all gear weighs 7616 lbs with full 24 gallon water tank and full fuel tank. I added 2096 lbs. Ended up 1384 lbs under the GVWR.

No need for a dual rear wheels.

Registered
2015 high roof not extended with full gas tank and no passengers weighed 5520 lbs empty. GVWR rating of 9000 lbs.

Conversion with all gear weighs 7616 lbs with full 24 gallon water tank and full fuel tank. I added 2096 lbs. Ended up 1384 lbs under the GVWR.

Nice to see confirmation of similar numbers.

Premium Member

Yes Dave, but yours is:
  • standard vs extended
  • 2 seats vs Crew type with 4 or 5 seats
  • Minimalist electrical system
  • standard vs larger fuel tank
  • Very - very weight optimized build

(5520) + (2100) = nearly 8000 lbs on a "light weight / engineered build".

Add just a few more features and throw in towing a trailer of any kind and 9000 lb GVWR is going to come up short.

It is easy to hit 1000 lbs just in passengers and a little luggage.

Registered
Yes Dave, but yours is:
  • standard vs extended
  • 2 seats vs Crew type with 4 or 5 seats
  • Minimalist electrical system
  • standard vs larger fuel tank
  • Very - very weight optimized build

(5520) + (2100) = nearly 8000 lbs on a "light weight / engineered build".

Add just a few more features and throw in towing a trailer of any kind and 9000 lb GVWR is going to come up short.

It is easy to hit 1000 lbs just in passengers and a little luggage.
Correct.

Vehicle purchase specifications must cover the expected weight of the conversion or passenger seats/people. Usually weight is either a conversion or many seats and passengers. Not both.

My conversion is not very light even though I did try to limit the weight. Many other conversions weigh less than mine.

Pretty easy to exceed the GVWR rating if no thought is put to limiting conversion weight.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What kind of gas mileage are you guys getting? I'm getting near the end of my build so I won't be adding much more weight and I'm getting 18 mpg but i just added an AC unit on the roof so I'm guessing it'll go down. I have a 2020 AWD medium roof.
Average ~13.5mpg calculated. The overly-large solar panel setup was the hit there. Though I can't be sure how much the weight versus the roof situation since they happened simultaneously. But went from ~17-18mpg down to ~13.5 currently after the basics of the build (not far from where we are now). I need to put a wind faring on the front... might help a bit? Of course, it's an extended high-roof, so... 馃

All that said, I try not to let my lead foot get out of control... but I'm not good at that. At ~72mph, we're closer to 14.5mpg steady (flat ground). That was the magic number for ~16-17mpg on the Sprinter. Most commonly, I'm driving ~80+ in the Transit, so... ~13mpg.

Registered
Not too worried about it, I always wanted a early 1980s custom van with a queen bed and a refrigerator and that is what I have. Build weight 800 pounds and half of that is wood.

The first year started out as a full conversion after getting caught up in what everyone else was doing at that time, But I have been down sizing every since since most of that was unneeded for my use.
What no water Bed?

Registered
I think this speaks to the lack of planning people do in their builds. Everyone goes with wood "cause thats what the guy on youtube had . . ." without realizing that wood weighs a ton. I like the builds that use something like 80/20 because it gives you the same function at a fraction of the weight.

Registered
So this is why I have questioned the benefits of adding a full floor, extra batteries + solar + power electronics, wooden cabinetry, etc. We are really not that minimalist but I'm only at ~1,800lb for our build. We really don't think we miss anything (apart form the weight) in our 2 1/2 years of adventuring and I have capacity to spare to haul track toys, boats etc., when I want to.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think this speaks to the lack of planning people do in their builds. Everyone goes with wood "cause thats what the guy on youtube had . . ." without realizing that wood weighs a ton. I like the builds that use something like 80/20 because it gives you the same function at a fraction of the weight.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I know... I need to have a build thread and a link... but this is an aluminum build - in fact, using hollow-core 30mm extrusions instead of solid-core and/or 1.5-inch. But each little luxury adds weight. The four 200w panels on the roof aren't all that heavy; but the way we mounted them - with the intent to tilt - added dozens of pounds. And the raise/lower bed added nearly a hundred pounds. Each little luxury: water heater, water storage, oven, slide-out tray, etc. If you look at the interior, it looks downright Spartan.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts