Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last few days I flip-flopped about what to do. I was sure I'll go with Transit, then I visited couple of Mercedes dealers and saw a beautiful Mercedes with 10 inch nav screen, then someone bought it. Later I test drove Mercedes and it remained me of old Żuk van I drove in Poland in the seventies. Every pothole, every rough surface rattled the body panels. I know, it would go away after putting insulation on it, but still... Then I went to Ford dealer and test drove a Transit with the EcoBoost engine - and... Wow! Suddenly I knew it will be my next van. That thing flies! And is solid as a brick, even when I drive it over rough RR crossing. I am ordering mine this Tuesday.

I can use some help from you with the configuration thou. So far I think I'll go with:

Base MSRP $43,075
Total of Options $5,585
Destination Charges $1,695
Total MSRP $51,775

Cargo Van, XL, Transit Long EL 250, High Roof, 148", 3.5L EcoBoost V6 Engine, 10-Speed Automatic Overdrive with SelectShift® Auxiliary, Transmission Oil Cooler Limited Slip Axle $43,075
Paint Ingot Silver $200
Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow Package $485
Power Sliding Door $995
Running Boards – Extended Length $655
Keys – Two (2) Additional $75
Keyless Entry Keypad $95
Spare Tire and Wheel with Four-Ton Jack $0
Heavy-Duty Front Axle $315
Extended Range Fuel Tank $285
Reverse Sensing System $0
Side Sensing System $475
AGM Batteries – Dual $0
Exterior Lighting – Autolamp $35
Exterior Lighting – Front Fog Lamps $0
Windows – Fixed Glass, Rear-Door and Passenger-Side Cargo Door $250
Short Arm Power Adjusting, Manual-Folding Mirrors $0
16" Silver Steel Wheel with Exposed Lug Nuts-Heavy-Duty $0
235/65R16C 121/119 R BSW All-Season Tires $0
Dark Palazzo Gray Cloth, 10-Way Power Driver and 10-Way Power Passenger Seats $990
Vehicle Maintenance Monitor $45
Floor Covering – Front Carpet Floor Mats $30
Floor Covering – Front Carpet $35
Cruise Control with Adjustable Speed Limiting Device (ASLD) $325
Horn – Dual Note $20
Dual Alternator $845
Six (6) Speaker $25
Powerpoint Outlet – 12V$15
Auxiliary Fuse Panel with High Spec Interface Connector $0
Audio Pack #22: AM/FM Stereo with Bluetooth and HD SiriusXM®, Audio Input Jack, SYNC® 3, and 8" Colored Multi-Function Touch Screen $650

Not sure if I should go with 3.31 or 3.73 axle? If that calculator is right, at 70 mph it would be either 1750 or 1970 RPM (Gearing Calculator | RPM and Tire Diameter to km/h - mph with Shift Tracer)

I am also not sure if I should go with 9070 lbs T250 or 9500 lbs T350. The price difference is about $1300, for gain of 430 lbs. I think it's not worth it.

And what about seats? Is the basic seat good enough? For $990 I can have "heated 10-way power seats with lumbar and armrest"?

Do I need "Heavy-Duty front axle with a 4,630 lb. FGAWR"? For $315 sims like a reasonable option.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Over the last few days I flip-flopped about what to do. I was sure I'll go with Transit, then I visited couple of Mercedes dealers and saw a beautiful Mercedes with 10 inch nav screen, then someone bought it. Later I test drove Mercedes and it remained me of old Żuk van I drove in Poland in the seventies. Every pothole, every rough surface rattled the body panels. I know, it would go away after putting insulation on it, but still... Then I went to Ford dealer and test drove a Transit with the EcoBoost engine - and... Wow! Suddenly I knew it will be my next van. That thing flies! And is solid as a brick, even when I drive it over rough RR crossing. I am ordering mine this Tuesday.

I can use some help from you with the configuration thou. So far I think I'll go with:

Base MSRP $43,075
Total of Options $5,585
Destination Charges $1,695
Total MSRP $51,775

Cargo Van, XL, Transit Long EL 250, High Roof, 148", 3.5L EcoBoost V6 Engine, 10-Speed Automatic Overdrive with SelectShift® Auxiliary, Transmission Oil Cooler Limited Slip Axle $43,075
Paint Ingot Silver $200
Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow Package $485
Power Sliding Door $995
Running Boards – Extended Length $655
Keys – Two (2) Additional $75
Keyless Entry Keypad $95
Spare Tire and Wheel with Four-Ton Jack $0
Heavy-Duty Front Axle $315
Extended Range Fuel Tank $285
Reverse Sensing System $0
Side Sensing System $475
AGM Batteries – Dual $0
Exterior Lighting – Autolamp $35
Exterior Lighting – Front Fog Lamps $0
Windows – Fixed Glass, Rear-Door and Passenger-Side Cargo Door $250
Short Arm Power Adjusting, Manual-Folding Mirrors $0
16" Silver Steel Wheel with Exposed Lug Nuts-Heavy-Duty $0
235/65R16C 121/119 R BSW All-Season Tires $0
Dark Palazzo Gray Cloth, 10-Way Power Driver and 10-Way Power Passenger Seats $990
Vehicle Maintenance Monitor $45
Floor Covering – Front Carpet Floor Mats $30
Floor Covering – Front Carpet $35
Cruise Control with Adjustable Speed Limiting Device (ASLD) $325
Horn – Dual Note $20
Dual Alternator $845
Six (6) Speaker $25
Powerpoint Outlet – 12V$15
Auxiliary Fuse Panel with High Spec Interface Connector $0
Audio Pack #22: AM/FM Stereo with Bluetooth and HD SiriusXM®, Audio Input Jack, SYNC® 3, and 8" Colored Multi-Function Touch Screen $650

Not sure if I should go with 3.31 or 3.73 axle? If that calculator is right, at 70 mph it would be either 1750 or 1970 RPM (Gearing Calculator | RPM and Tire Diameter to km/h - mph with Shift Tracer)

I am also not sure if I should go with 9070 lbs T250 or 9500 lbs T350. The price difference is about $1300, for gain of 430 lbs. I think it's not worth it.

And what about seats? Is the basic seat good enough? For $990 I can have "heated 10-way power seats with lumbar and armrest"?

Do I need "Heavy-Duty front axle with a 4,630 lb. FGAWR"? For $315 sims like a reasonable option.
I have a 2015 Ecoboost with the 3.31 axle with a 2000 lb. conversion. IMO no need for the 3.73.

The options I bought for a conversion:

Would not change the options if I did another. I realize that 2015 options may have changed for the 2020.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have this exact vehicle but AWD, and no power sliding doors. Base Seats are Great, I dont think having electric on it will help it at all its extra money for no gain, Especially if you want to put a swivel on it. My van came with a 150w 120vac plugin Im kinda regreting it now but we will see if I will be keeping it. Is this a 2020 model.?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thx for your thoughts. It is always better to learn upfront from others then to make regrettable mistakes myself.

I have a 2015 Ecoboost with the 3.31 axle with a 2000 lb. conversion. IMO no need for the 3.73.

The options I bought for a conversion:

Would not change the options if I did another. I realize that 2015 options may have changed for the 2020.
Quite similar vehicle. Did you weighted it "before" and "after"? How much weight conversion actually adds? Mine will be extended. I don't think there is a big difference on parking lot in front of the WalMart between those two, but extended gives us room for additional sitting area. Here is rough sketch of what we are planning. Draw is for a short version, so we can add a cabinet on driver site and turn the shower "long ways" and have "bigger kitchen" on passenger site.

I have this exact vehicle but AWD, and no power sliding doors. Base Seats are Great, I dont think having electric on it will help it at all its extra money for no gain, Especially if you want to put a swivel on it. My van came with a 150w 120vac plugin Im kinda regreting it now but we will see if I will be keeping it. Is this a 2020 model.?
Yes, It is 2020. Next year models can be ordered after October 2nd and production will start in January. For 2020 if I order now, I can have it delivered for Christmas, unless there will be some kind of delay. I could wait for 2021, we are going to build it for 2 years, so no rush. We'll retire in 2022. Besides, I don't think 2021 will be any different and may be little more expensive.
We think we'll do passenger swivel seat only. I don't care about electric seat operation, my concern is the lack of adjustments in the base seat. I need a good lumbar support for my back. It's not a problem in most of the passenger cars, so basic seat maybe OK, but if I take a flight in the airplane economy class I suffer from the pain from the moment I take my seat. Maybe they have these terrible seats for a reason? So passengers would upgrade to "economy plus" and pay bigger fare? :D

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Would not have a problem ordering this Transit van other than the Power Sliding Side Door option. It has been holding up a lot of orders with the option and it may get built on some of the last 2020 models sometime in September.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did weigh the van before and after so 2000 lbs is about right.

I think you will regret having a fixed table blocking the aisle. How about having a table on slides that pulls out from under the bed platform?
It will not be a fixed table. It will be something like that:

That video shows other solutions:

If we go with passenger swivel seat we may end up with another small table, in front of the van.

Would not have a problem ordering this Transit van other than the Power Sliding Side Door option. It has been holding up a lot of orders with the option and it may get built on some of the last 2020 models sometime in September.
Local dealer told me that it is 4 months waiting time regardless of options plus another month or so for delivery of the high roof models. In Kansas probably you can pick them up personally from the factory, but here they have to come on a flatbed truck.

I couldn't care less about power door, but my wife wants it. Especially when the van parks on the incline it could be for her difficult to close it manually.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is ordered. It will not have power doors, but it won't be delivered before Christmas anyway. Build time is 12-14 weeks plus 6-8 weeks for the delivery of "HR" option.

·
Registered
75 Posts
One thought. You may wish to modify the fixed glass passenger window if you can at this point. There are a lot of after market windows you can install in the sliding door that can open or at least have part of the window open to allow for some air flow. Since many folks install a kitchen area near the sliding door, it is nice to have that window open. We took that advice from others, although we haven't had the opportunity to install anything yet as we are still awaiting arrival of our van.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The second video is what I had in mind but have it slide out from under the bed platform. That would provide a table for the two bench seats you show in your sketch.
Only reason we think swivel table is better is when someone wants to stand up and go, without cleaning everything on the table. However that table had to be above mattress, so seats had to be raised too, which is OK - we can have extra storage under them, sort of step, platform, which also would help us to go to the bed.

One thought. You may wish to modify the fixed glass passenger window if you can at this point. There are a lot of after market windows you can install in the sliding door that can open or at least have part of the window open to allow for some air flow. Since many folks install a kitchen area near the sliding door, it is nice to have that window open. We took that advice from others, although we haven't had the opportunity to install anything yet as we are still awaiting arrival of our van.
We were thinking about that too - either in door or next to it, in side of the van. We also want to make small window by the bed, on driver side.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
FYI, the electrical system that you have been talking about on this forum and the other(s) will take up roughly the size of under your seat shown.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FYI, the electrical system that you have been talking about on this forum and the other(s) will take up roughly the size of under your seat shown.
I don't even know what I am talking about. 😕 However I understand you are talking about controlers/B2B/whatever is necessarily but id doesn't include 10 LiFePo4 batteries, right?

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
I don't even know what I am talking about. 😕 However I understand you are talking about controlers/B2B/whatever is necessarily but id doesn't include 10 LiFePo4 batteries, right?
For some reason I thought that your goal was 4 x 100 amp-hr LiFe batteries. Yes, 10 will take up a bit more room.

Usually these types of systems work best in sets of 4, so 4, 8, or 12 if that can work for you.

The usual size package that I build is 18 x 30 x 18 inches tall. That holds 4 batteries, the inverter, etc. 2 packages like that would be needed for an 8 battery system and all of the charging that you have in mind.

Harry

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am going to install the new wheels and tires. I had to trim the wheel well little bit, so the BF Goodrich ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2 LT245/70R17 on MOTO METAL® - MO970 Gloss Black with Machined Face (17" x 8", +50 Offset, 5x114.3-160 Bolt Pattern, 72.6-110.5mm Hub) would fit. I went for 17 inch rims, because I couldn't find those wheels in 16 inch size. Total diameter of those tires is 30.5 inch, about 1/4 inch to big to fit, but after little bit of trimming it was OK. To do the job I used pipe wrench, hummer and RUST BULLET Automotive - Rust Preventive Protective Coating from Amazon, to protect the bare metal from rusting. Some pictures.

1. Wheel before trimming

Pipe wrench and hummer:

Clearance now:

After painting:

I'll have all 4 wheels mounted today, so I'll check for clearance driving in uneven terrain with wheels turned.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like there is about 1/4 inch space between the wheel and the van's body. I didn't noticed any scraping, nor rubbing. I am very happy with that setup.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When the wheels are straight, I have 1 1/2 inch space, when steering wheel is turned 270 degrees, or 3/4 turns, there is a 1/4 inch of space between the tire and the body of the van.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts