Ford Transit USA Forum banner

381 - 400 of 400 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
After that I worked on the "Fuel delivery module". The DEF fill tube had arrived and I modified it so it will work with my auxiliary diesel fuel tank. I cut the entire bottom section off the unit because it was very stiff and difficult to route. Instead I bought some flexible fuel lines for the filler tube and air vent and connected it to the upper portion. One "Fuel Delivery Module" completed.

Where did you source the larger fuel tubing? The DEF filler hose is 7/8" ID but the barb seems big enough for 1" ID.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #382
Where did you source the larger fuel tubing? The DEF filler hose is 7/8" ID but the barb seems big enough for 1" ID.
The hose in the picture was a temporary hose that wasn't rated for diesel fuel. I found a diesel transfer hose at a local farm store (Wilco). They have diesel transfer hoses of different lengths and diameters with fittings on both ends.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Regarding the fuel tank , I have 3 questions

1 : in the upper rear left of the picture , what is the black thing with the hose that circles back around to itself?

2: how come the vent tube has a hose that tees off and goes down to the bottom of the tank?

3: when you ordered the tank did you have to specify where and how many holes , or do all tanks just come like yours with 2 holes in the top and 1 hole on the bottom?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
That's one of Boyd Welding's standard universal tanks. https://www.fueltankparts.com. You can order a custom tank with variety of fittings. Cost is reasonable, at least relative to the entire van conversion enterprise ;). I didn't like the unnecessary 2" filler neck on the universal tank and got a tank made with a fitting for a sending unit instead. http://moellermarine.com/moeller-marine/fuel-accessories/reed-switch-fuel-sending-unit-6-inch-tank-depth-035773-10/
Tank drawing attached - 2.5 gallons. My original thought was to tuck it up in the first space aft of the filler neck, but now that I'm working under there, I find the corner of the perforated angle framing would be uncomfortably close to the gasoline filler hose. I've moved to hang it further aft and under the beams similar to HDH, so in the end, the tank could have been larger. Also, the DEF filler neck hose is 1" ID - I could have gotten that size NPT fitting in the tank instead of 3/4". But it was winter, and I didn't spend enough time under the van when planning, so....oops, making do. edit - 3/4" NPT fitting is ok - 3/4 male pipe thread to 1" hose barb elbow is available - for example: https://www.hardwareworld.com/pgjxhn4/1x3-4mip-Elbow

Attachments

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
You could consider having your local welding shop make you a tank. That way you can have whatever dimensions you want and the half couplings the size and location where you want them. Make the tank out of cardboard with the holes to show them what you want.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #386 (Edited)
Regarding the fuel tank , I have 3 questions

1 : in the upper rear left of the picture , what is the black thing with the hose that circles back around to itself?

2: how come the vent tube has a hose that tees off and goes down to the bottom of the tank?

3: when you ordered the tank did you have to specify where and how many holes , or do all tanks just come like yours with 2 holes in the top and 1 hole on the bottom?

Thanks
1: This is the fuel supply pump for the Espar heater. I decided to mount it on the tank so there is a very short suction line, which makes priming a breeze. The heater installation kit came with a pump bracket where the pump has the correct angle.

2: this is my "high tech" fuel gauge.

3: I picked from one of their stock tanks. I could make it work and for $89 I would make it work.

As Perchancetodream mentioned, Boyd Welding can build whatever you want.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #388 (Edited)
Vancouver Island.

Spent the night in Skagitstan country last night. Parked the van in an RV resort on the Fidalgo Bay in Anacortes, Washington. They call it a resort, which is a fancy name for parking lot, so they can charge more. We planned to take the early morning ferry to Sidney on Vancouver Island, so the overpriced parking lot was convenient.
It was a beautiful ferry ride via Friday Harbor on San Juan island. We're now exploring the island and staying mostly in Provincial parks. These parks have spacious and clean campsites, which we prefer over the "resort" parking lots. This is our 2nd camping trip in Canada this year. We love Canada!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
The electrical panel is a temporary set-up until I get some house batteries. This panel will eventually turn into a box, which will house the additional batteries as well. See earlier posts for details regarding mounting of the cabinets.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #390
The electrical panel is a temporary set-up until I get some house batteries. This panel will eventually turn into a box, which will house the additional batteries as well. See earlier posts for details regarding mounting of the cabinets.
?:|

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I do still have to install a vent in the cap to prevent pulling a vacuum when the level in the tank drops. Not sure how Ford does this with the diesel DEF tank. The original cap and DEF filler tube have no outside vent, just the vent line back into the top of the filler neck. There must be a vent valve on the DEF tank.

What did you end up doing for the vent?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #392
What did you end up doing for the vent?
Researched it a bit and was either going to install a small spring loaded vacuum breaker (check valve) or purchase a vented DEF cap. Not sure if there is one available with the same thread.
Until now I have been loosening the cap a little when I ran the heater. Hadn't really used the heater all summer until this past week. We went to the most Northern point of Vancouver Island where it was a little chilly at night.

I just read your post about the "Vented DEF Cap" and will have look to see if that's the solution for my situation. Thanks!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #393
Vancouver Island.

Made it to the Northern part of Vancouver Island last week. Great place to explore in the campervan. Went to Port Hardy, Port Alice and Telegraph Cove for some whale watching.

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #395
Ready for the next conversion.

We've had our Transit T250 MR EB now for over 3 years and still love it, but I'm ready for the next build.

The Transit is great and our conversion works very well. This year we've taken it on long trips to Canada twice and we camped many weekends on the NW Pacific coast and in the Cascade Mountains.

In August I bought an enclosed trailer to haul my motorcycle(s) and converted it into a Toy hauler/camper. I love the fact that I can actually stand up straight in it without rubbing my head on the ceiling. However taking the trailer is much more of a hassle than just taking the van. With just the van we're parking and ready to relax. When bringing the trailer we're stressing about getting a camping site large enough to fit the van and trailer and than we have to hook it up to water, power and level it with stabilizer jacks. It's great when traveling with the bikes and setting up for a week or longer but it's a major PITA when just doing it for 1 or 2 nights.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looks like you are living the good life. We hope to get up there this next year.

So does that mean your getting a new Transit?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
Looks like you are living the good life. We hope to get up there this next year.

So does that mean your getting a new Transit?
Thinking about getting a tall extended Transit. Need to move first to a place with a big shop because I won't do a conversion in my driveway again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I hear you on the indoor shop. Trying to finish a home made rack for my rocket box in 20 degree snow flurries.

I hope things go forward as I would really enjoy seeing your next build.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #400
Updates:

There is still a TO DO list of small items that I need to work on, but I got a little tired of the build and we've just been using the van as it is. Everything works great.

At the moment there are only 27.5k miles on the van, which is very low considering that I bought it new in July of 2015.
This week I went under the van to make sure that the auxiliary diesel tank and hoses were all tight and in good shape. All was perfect, but I did notice that the drive shaft guibo was showing some cracks. I had called and asked the dealer several times before to replace the guibo for the new improved version, but they didn't want to do it since the vehicle had less than 30k miles.
This time the dealer agreed to replace the guibo since there were some cracks. The service advisor called me while they were working on the van to inform me that the rear brake pads needed to be replaced, the brake discs were still in good shape. I normally do all the maintenance myself including the brakes, but since they had it on the bridge I decided to let them do it. I'm a little disappointed that the brake pads only lasted 27k miles but I guess I can live with that.

381 - 400 of 400 Posts