Ford Transit USA Forum banner
101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
In my sarcastic opinion, most people don't give a hoot about "the environment" or "Merkuh First"
MADA - Make America Dirty Again ... there oughtta' be a hat.

Interesting what happened to the EV tax credit in the IRA bill that was just passed by Congress.
The credits are dependent on US content and those %'s will increase over time (also max price which in a counterproductive move is higher for SUV's than cars). The vast majority of vehicles will not qualify for any credit. Some will qualify for 1/2 credit. Apparently the Tesla 3 RWD may be the only one that meet price/content for full credit (not sure how they meet the mineral threshold?) I could see Musk disabling all kinds of features to meet the price threshold and then offering them as after sale OTA upgrades.

Sure looks America First legislation (as opposed to rhetoric). Now, how did these content thresholds make it into the law? Seems like this may have been a compromise to get Manchin aboard. Can you imagine political compromise in this age? Gotta give Manchin credit on this one, he's gunna (well should) be despised by the left for kneecapping "progress" and by the right for passing the bill. Still quite confusing though as to why Joe wouldn't want more EV's. I thought electricity is made from coal. There I go, injecting reason into politics. So, regardless of how it came about, it seems like a good law to me. (Well other than the SUV price allowance)

Now we will have to see if the US Auto industry can find a way to make this incentive pay off for them. Of course it already seem like they are focussing on lobbying to somehow have the laws "fixed". IIRC Ford just fired a bunch of "obsolete" engineers, so they should now have plenty of headcount to take on some more lawyers.

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
Any time I think of getting an EV Van, I watch this video. Gas for me please.
yeah, but that just means you're not an idiot. Only a numbskull would get an EV truck with current technology if they tow stuff all the time. Check back in 5-10 years, though.

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
Yep. That's what they said five and ten years ago.
Major manufacturers were making EV trucks 5-10 years ago? I don't get out very often. They must have been horrible, looking at what's being touted as "able to tow" today.

One thing that often gets forgotten is HOW LONG it takes to bring a model to market, despite the drivetrain. Unless they are just modifying the body and electronics, it takes several years of R&D, and a few more of testing and official third-party testing to pass regulation requirements. Which is probably why Ford sticks to the same base chassis and engine formats for a decade or more; those tests cost a lot of money.

A lot of the press releases about some new engine or feature, or battery tech like the Sodium-Potassium or Lithium-Sulphur, are YEARS from being available in consumer products. So, don't hold your breath and put off buying a new truck because you're waiting for that new tech/feature to become available. Just get what's available, and you can always sell or trade it in when something better eventually comes along. The used car market even with "obsolete" features like dumb cruise control or non-digital gauges is hotter than ever.

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
I would possibly consider leasing a EV150, but I would never purchase one.
That might soon be the only way to get one, or any vehicle. Manufacturers are playing with the idea of ONLY offering all-inclusive leases and not selling any vehicles for private ownership. They'll test it out and see if people like it. What I've read is that it includes insurance, all maintenance, and even all repairs (the mandatory insurance covers that). There are people who LIKE not having to buy and take care of stuff, people who LIKE rental homes, so it might be great for "some people". A lot of people lease cars now, so it's not a big leap of concept. I think there'd be a backlash if ALL models were only offered as leases, but some models, like commuter cars and minivans, may do very well with this format.

101 - 111 of 111 Posts