Ford Transit USA Forum banner
81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
Growing pains. There were a lot of fires when natural gas started being pumped into homes for cooking and heating. I'm glad there are zero fires related to using gasoline anymore. Next up on the fire safety dilemma is Hydrogen.

·
Registered
2019 250 148 mr
775 Posts
just use the EV as your solar battery storage
Two problems with that:

1 severely limits the use of the vehicle for any long trips, especially during the day.

2 most of the driving will be during daylight hours, when the system should be charging. The house battery bank allows for maximum power from the sun, giving you more driving range on a day to day basis, and allows for weather conditions that might inhibit solar potential.

With a house based battery bank, you have much more stored potential, and much greater convenience.

·
Registered
26 Posts
An all electric van would not work for me, since my main goal is for a 4-season overland camper, where most of the places that I camp (or plan to camp) are too remote to have charging stations. I'm also concerned at how well an all electric vehicle would work when the temperature is much below freezing. My guess is that, at the very least, the range would decrease quite a bit.And I'm guessing that you would not be able to charge you house batteries off the alternator. Plus you would need to use propane for heat while camping, unless you carried a separate fuel tank for a gas or diesel heater.

I would be more interested in a hybrid van.
A hybrid would be perfect. I don’t know why no one is working on one that I’ve seen.

·
Registered
nothing yet, but planning on an EV van
241 Posts
This is essentially what I do, when extended camping. The vehicle serves as my big battery, powering all electric devices.
It's actually not a bad idea, as your car battery is the biggest battery you may own. I would keep household energy requirement to a minimum (winter heating, water heating, and cooking with wood/gas, and I would use DC for electronics and all appliances with motors to save inverter losses). Maybe a small backup battery to serve when the car is not colocated with home, to keep the fridge compressor happy. 1600W of panels is more than enough to run everything, and could theoretically go mounted to the vehicle. Maybe up-size it a little, but I've not checked the math with an EV. Now power goes where you go, just not too far (it's a grocery getter anyway).
if every house was covered in solar panels and everyone had an EV plugged into the grid and allowed for 20%-30% of your battery to be used for 1/2 to 4 hours a day [a staggered schedule would need to be worked out, 1/2 hour for peak, 1, normal, 4 hour of peak [nighttime] ] we wouldn't need any power plants for residential use and would not have electric bills*

*if a state/national agency is not created to monitor and repair the grid then we would have a small fee, however, we could have an option to donate more power instead of paying fees.

this could be extend to industry as well but it might require some additional power storage options, however, some/all of these additional power storage options might be right under our noses. if all school busses were electric, then we could use those to meet peak power in the summer and part of the winter. also if fleet vehicles had staggered company wide vacations then we could use those as battery banks, etc...

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yeah, I am Xi and the CCP will be more than happy to supply us with the resources to do this.
As a nation we have proven to be reluctant to have the dirty industries to accomplish this ideal.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Where does everybody think that 'clean' electricity comes from? Typically coal fired power plants which are much cleaner than in the past. However, unless we want a blight of bird killing windmills in our deserts and coastlines or solar panels the size of Rhode Island across the country, we've got to get the electricity from somewhere. And fossil fuels are where we get it, and the US has a lot of it. Getting it and processing it just has to be made cleaner to satisfy the "oil bad" fanatics, if that is possible at all.

·
Registered
nothing yet, but planning on an EV van
241 Posts
Where does everybody think that 'clean' electricity comes from? Typically coal fired power plants which are much cleaner than in the past. However, unless we want a blight of bird killing windmills in our deserts and coastlines or solar panels the size of Rhode Island across the country, we've got to get the electricity from somewhere. And fossil fuels are where we get it, and the US has a lot of it. Getting it and processing it just has to be made cleaner to satisfy the "oil bad" fanatics, if that is possible at all.
the future is brighter than you think, the newer windmills now kill less birds than the pollution from the newer coal plants but birds have greater threats, the number one bird killer is buildings, followed by loss of habitat, then cats, ...

and you are right it will take a solar panel area of about Rhode Island to meet our power needs, however, it would be better to spread out those solar panels. let me make it easier to visualize: i'm 100% electric at my house [heating, cooking, everything] and i'm 100% electric for my transportation [eg EV]. i have 1/6 of roof covered in solar panels and those panels produce more electricity in a year than i can use in a year. thus we already have a great place to put these solar panels. if i needed more power, i could add more solar panels, i have room. if the country needs more power i could add more solar panels.

let me try to address some of the "but what about..." questions to avoid missing my point. since i don't have a battery storage system yet, that means i'm drawing power from grid when i'm not getting enough, or any, power from my solar panels. once i have a battery system or plug my EV into my house then i will not need any possible 'dirty' power from the grid, however, in the mean time i'm actually offsetting fossil fuels. let me explain: since i'm grid tied solar, i obviously have an account with the power company. lucky in my area you can pay a little extra and choose to be in the 'blue sky' program. that means 90% of the electricity i get from the grid is from wind power, the remaining 10% is a mix of the other power types in the area which is coal [80%] and nuke [20%], so if i'm getting power from the grid then 8% of it is from coal. for simplicity lets assume i get 75% of my power from panels and 25% from the grid. that means 2% of the power i use from coal. most of the time when the sun is shining i'm making more power can i use so that is going back into the grid, which means my neighbors are getting solar power instead of grid power. so at least one neighbor is getting 25% solar and 75% grid, that means my neighbor's coal use is reduced from 80% to 60%. so i'm using 2% coal but my neighbor is using -20% coal, thus i'm reducing coal use overall even without a battery system.

·
Registered
75 Posts
the future is brighter than you think, the newer windmills now kill less birds than the pollution from the newer coal plants but birds have greater threats, the number one bird killer is buildings, followed by loss of habitat, then cats, ...

and you are right it will take a solar panel area of about Rhode Island to meet our power needs, however, it would be better to spread out those solar panels. let me make it easier to visualize: i'm 100% electric at my house [heating, cooking, everything] and i'm 100% electric for my transportation [eg EV]. i have 1/6 of roof covered in solar panels and those panels produce more electricity in a year than i can use in a year. thus we already have a great place to put these solar panels. if i needed more power, i could add more solar panels, i have room. if the country needs more power i could add more solar panels.

let me try to address some of the "but what about..." questions to avoid missing my point. since i don't have a battery storage system yet, that means i'm drawing power from grid when i'm not getting enough, or any, power from my solar panels. once i have a battery system or plug my EV into my house then i will not need any possible 'dirty' power from the grid, however, in the mean time i'm actually offsetting fossil fuels. let me explain: since i'm grid tied solar, i obviously have an account with the power company. lucky in my area you can pay a little extra and choose to be in the 'blue sky' program. that means 90% of the electricity i get from the grid is from wind power, the remaining 10% is a mix of the other power types in the area which is coal [80%] and nuke [20%], so if i'm getting power from the grid then 8% of it is from coal. for simplicity lets assume i get 75% of my power from panels and 25% from the grid. that means 2% of the power i use from coal. most of the time when the sun is shining i'm making more power can i use so that is going back into the grid, which means my neighbors are getting solar power instead of grid power. so at least one neighbor is getting 25% solar and 75% grid, that means my neighbor's coal use is reduced from 80% to 60%. so i'm using 2% coal but my neighbor is using -20% coal, thus i'm reducing coal use overall even without a battery system.
Interesting but let's not forget the amount of energy and resources it takes to manufacture, ship, install, maintain and then dispose of (or recycle) windmills, solar panels, batteries and the like. That all has to be factored into the overall picture. I personally believe all this "the sky is falling" anti fossil fuel hysteria is a bit overblown (a LOT overblown), ditto for the perceived benefits of "going green". One man's opinion.

·
Registered
22 148 Cargo M Roof AWD Oxford white .
410 Posts
The math and engineering has been done, its not feasible or even close to supply
Earth growing energy needs by green or fossil fuels, solution Nuclear and lots of it
all the anti nay sayers need to pull their heads out their A*ses and realize you cant
have your cake with frosting and eat it too.
New technology has proven we can safely recycle nuclear by product or waste
and the new reactor designs very safe, look to France for good example they are
not mercy to Russias energy play game.

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
Interesting but let's not forget the amount of energy and resources it takes to manufacture, ship, install, maintain and then dispose of (or recycle) windmills, solar panels, batteries and the like. That all has to be factored into the overall picture. I personally believe all this "the sky is falling" anti fossil fuel hysteria is a bit overblown (a LOT overblown), ditto for the perceived benefits of "going green". One man's opinion.
The economy works by getting us to buy stuff. Ad agencies and marketing departments have ALWAYS "oversold" the need to buy something. They are capitalizing on the war on culture and playing to people's fears and hopes as a way to get them to buy stuff. I think if you throw out the fringe of the Bell Curve of EV haters and lovers and the statements they make, you get a more rational view.

In my sarcastic opinion, most people don't give a hoot about "the environment" or "Merkuh First" deep down, but those are excuses for buying what they want to buy, which is almost always the most affordable for their income level, and secondly the group who use a vehicle as some sort of status symbol or social group signifier. I know RW fanatics with Teslas, and also dirty hippies with diesel pickups. What you choose to drive shouldn't be part of the war on culture, but the manipulators have moved EVERYTHING into that war.
Tableware Cartoon Fruit Bird Dishware

For some, the words are scrambled, and they think it says
"Don't Give A Hoot, Pollute!"

• Love
Reactions: pbethel

·
Registered
64 Posts
We should take a lesson from France. They seem to have their nuclear power system figured out.

81 - 100 of 111 Posts