Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone! After my 07' Tacoma with 400k miles blew out its second wheel bearing on the freeway this week, my lovely lady told me I'm not allowed to go to the races anymore until I get a new rig!

4 days ago, I would have sworn I was gonna get a Sprinter 4x4. But after doing research, I'm Ford all the way!

Here's my needs:

• This is going to be a somewhat daily driver for me with lots of freeway time and long commutes.
  • I will use it in enough off-road(ish) situations where I'll need AWD.
  • Moto Hauler
  • Baja surf/camp/moto rig
  • Eventually a mild overland build (of the modular type) for camping with the lady and pooches. (a sink, water tank and cabinets would be nice) but none of this overbuilt "look at me.....and my associated hefty credit card debt" van life chit.
  • enough power to run a compressor and refrigerator.... and space heater for cold, desert nights.

My main questions are with specific options, and/or what I might be missing or haven't thunk' of when ordering from the Ford site:

* 250 series vs 350 series? Which I'm assuming dovetails with my other related question of 9070 GVWR vs 9500 GVWR? Whats the difference equipment-wise and perhaps MPG-wise between the two?
- I most likely won't tow anything of substantial consequence, but my theoretical biggest loads would be 2 bikes in the van, one on the hitch and a van full of supplies and water and my mild overland build. Which has me thinking I might want to get the highest GVWR rating without getting a dually

* Heavy Duty tow package vs Tow Haul mode with provisions.
- Whats the difference?

* Upfitter Package?...Worth it?

* Is load area protection worth it?
- I plan on using a lot of T- Rail throughout the van to keep my layout of cabinets (from Moto cabinets and different camping cabinets modular)

* Are the different auxiliary heat/cool packages worth it?

* Factory Dual alternators?
- sounds like a no-brainer but is it needed?

* Is the dual-battery option both the same kind of batteries? Or is one a deep cycle?
- on that same note, if I wanted a separate battery for the house....would it be more advantageous to do it myself?

* Are the auxiliary factory power outlets worth the price tag?

____ As for me, I'm a pretty capable guy who can figure out how to do a lot of different things. But like most of us who are busy, my time is worth something too. I'm not against spending extra money on factory options if its worth the money.

THANKS FOR ALL RESPONSES AND ADVICE!!!!! I'm beyond stoked to start this process!!

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
1,987 Posts
Keep in mind that the AWD isn't going to do well in Baja. It's not really designed for off pavement, except the occasional gravel road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Duly noted. If I'm being honest, the ONLY time I ever used 4wd on my Tacoma in the past 14 years was in the snow and/or on icy roads while in the mountains, or while I'm in the desert at a race and the staging location is down a road that is a bit sandy. I don't do any true off-roading of any sort. Nor am I looking to. Besides, I'm still gonna keep my truck if I ever feel like I'm going to go somewhere where I need a more conventional 4x4.

Hoping some 2021 ordering info comes up. I got the money, I got the permission (most important!)....and I've got any itchy trigger finger! Been dreaming of finally being able to make this happen for a few years now!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Duly noted. If I'm being honest, the ONLY time I ever used 4wd on my Tacoma in the past 14 years was in the snow and/or on icy roads while in the mountains, or while I'm in the desert at a race and the staging location is down a road that is a bit sandy. I don't do any true off-roading of any sort. Nor am I looking to. Besides, I'm still gonna keep my truck if I ever feel like I'm going to go somewhere where I need a more conventional 4x4.

Hoping some 2021 ordering info comes up. I got the money, I got the permission (most important!)....and I've got any itchy trigger finger to purchase something. Been dreaming of finally being able to make this happen for a few years now!
Im in the same boat sorta. Have the funds and permission just need the ordering system to open up already

·
Registered
12 Posts
From what i know (not alot) is the Dual alternator doesnt kick on unless the first one is overloaded, more suited for things like ambulances, etc.

Insurance will be considerably less on the 250 over the 350. Due to the GVWR. My bank quoted me $110 a month for a 250 (9070#), and ~$150 a month for the 9500#
I believe tow/haul mode is everything needed to tow MINUS the actual Hitch, (wiring, software, etc)

If you dont plan on insulating, or changing the floor into something, and youre putting bikes and other toys in the back id for sure go with the upgraded floor.
Aux heat will allow you to use fuel from the tank to heat your cabin, pre installed hardware that syphon gas from the tank.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
If you are waiting for the Ford online ordering system for the 2021 model, don't expect it before January 2021. Ford uses Ford dealer inventories as part of that program where you build out the Transit and then they refer a similar vehicle via your local ford dealer. The first Transits will not arrive on Ford dealer lots until late January or February so that will be the time they will activate the program.

If you build out a 2020 model online, it is going to refer you to a local dealer who has a similar vehicle to your build.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Am I able to go down to a dealer and just order what I want without the online system I have available to me? Starting to get a good idea of what I want

·
Registered
2020 148 HR AWD on order
98 Posts
I’ve had 4 years with a 4wd Tacoma and almost 40 years with various 4wd pickups and SUV’s before that, for context. Pretty experienced with moderate off-roading in the Sierras and SoCal deserts. Did the Rubicon Trail a few times, but now just interested in finding good remote camp spots and bike (MTB) and hiking trailheads.

Two months now with an AWD Transit 148 T250 with high roof and EcoBoost. Ordered it from our local dealer commercial sales manager, going through every option on her system and saying yes/no after doing my homework but also with her input. Haven’t been to Baja yet with the van, but did go a few years ago in the Taco and I think the van would do fine. Based on the two trips we’ve taken in the van so far, with short but fairly rough off-pavement excursions in the Sierras to find camp spots, the AWD system in mud and ruts mode crawls very well even without low range. Traction (on dry, but loose surfaces) was excellent even with OEM tires at dealer pressures. The two weaknesses of the van are ground clearance and size. If you’re not going to tow, make sure you order the narrower power folding mirrors, which I didn’t do ☹. I played around with tow/haul mode (which is included with the tow package, which I got in case I need to tow rental equipment or even just for a hitch bike rack) in high elevation mountains at highway speeds and it did provide better control, but honestly the EcoBoost and ten speed with the +/- shift toggle are so superior to the Taco’s powertrain (3rd gen V6 automatic in my case) that it’s a moot point.

Did not get dual alternators; at 250A with the single it seems like charging should be OK and one less thing to fail, but did get dual batteries with the swivel seats. Also didn’t get the cargo liner package, but kinda wish I had just to hide insulation until we complete a more finished panelled build-out. It’s pretty lightweight but cheaper than most aftermarket liners. Bedrug makes a great floor liner, available either with a plastic mat or carpet surface though it may be too squishy for a dirt bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A fun time to be ordering a van- best of luck. Here are my comments (I have 2020 350 AWD Passenger)

If you are going to tow anything I would get the tow package. Adding it after is nearly impossible and much more expensive. I believe the factory tow controller is coordinated with the vehicle stability / sway system and looks way better than aftermarket. The tow mode just makes the transmission hold gear better.

I'd skip the upfitter package. Actually connecting to the switches requires a pigtail for each and is complicated. Unless you have heavy loads that must run from the vehicle system, I'd focus on house batt system.
Same for the dual alternators. Neat to have but really meant for running a lift or heavy duty load demands when vehicle is running.

I'd leave the dual batt for vehicle along and add a house batt.
The factory inverter / ac outlet below the e-brake is meh, but ok in a pinch and not much to add cost wise.

Go for the electric door.
Larger Fuel tank for sure
Factory Rack
If budget allows;
Go for the wheel upgrade, very expensive on open market and lower unsprung weight.
Adaptive Cruise

The park assist is atrious

I would seriously consider going with a passenger model. The heat /cooling and finish inside will be way better until you get time to customize.

good luck,
g

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A fun time to be ordering a van- best of luck. Here are my comments (I have 2020 350 AWD Passenger)

If you are going to tow anything I would get the tow package. Adding it after is nearly impossible and much more expensive. I believe the factory tow controller is coordinated with the vehicle stability / sway system and looks way better than aftermarket. The tow mode just makes the transmission hold gear better.

I'd skip the upfitter package. Actually connecting to the switches requires a pigtail for each and is complicated. Unless you have heavy loads that must run from the vehicle system, I'd focus on house batt system.
Same for the dual alternators. Neat to have but really meant for running a lift or heavy duty load demands when vehicle is running.

I'd leave the dual batt for vehicle along and add a house batt.
The factory inverter / ac outlet below the e-brake is meh, but ok in a pinch and not much to add cost wise.

Go for the electric door.
Larger Fuel tank for sure
Factory Rack
If budget allows;
Go for the wheel upgrade, very expensive on open market and lower unsprung weight.
Adaptive Cruise

The park assist is atrious

I would seriously consider going with a passenger model. The heat /cooling and finish inside will be way better until you get time to customize.

good luck,
g

Thank you for the very detailed response! Looking back at past threads from previous years, it looks like you had the option to order your rig with a heavy duty alternator. Looking at the online tool that Ford provides us, the Heavy duty alternator option wasn't't there. I figured that they did away with that option in favor of dual alternators? Maybe someone in the know can chime in on that one.

I've read mixed reviews about the Upfitter package like you've eluded to. The only thing that I like about the option is the ability that I at least have the basics to wire stuff to, instead of figuring everything out myself. Of my many mediocre talents, electrical work is definitely my worst....which leads to my next query. Is it normal for the overlander and van life nerd types to run a refrigerator, water pump, and other accessories all off a deep cycle battery when the rig isn't on? And I do agree with you that dual alternators would mainly be useful for big loads like the kinds you mentioned while the engine is running.

What is the difference in the heating and cooling system with the passenger vs the Cargo?

Also, what made you go with the 350 as opposed to the 250?

Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think with the dual battery all get the heavy alt and there is the dual alt option.
It is nice to have the upfitter wiring inplace, but it is hard to use it without a lot of additional work.

The van vehicle batteries, in general, are different the the "house" batteries that run your constant load, like fridge etc. The house batteries can be charged when vehicle is running, by solar or by AC. With a house battery system it can switch between those sources. There are a lot of ways to go on electrical. I am not a full timer so I went with an easier system to install (Goal Zero yeti and two panels) and a Dometic fridge. Power was near 85% with fridge on all summer. I'm not sure how it does in winter as I brought the unit in from the van.

I had to pick an AWD from inventory in March and I did not get to option it. It seats 16 so it was the 350.
It is really about cargo load. If you plan to haul a lot or tow you may want to consider it. I am not an expert on the differences.
Passenger version comes with heating ducts and and additional AC compressor unit for the rear and the controls for it. It also has basic sound insulation and interior finish. I like the additional windows too, but it depends on you planned level of mod.

-g

·
Registered
2017, cargo, 130inch, mr, dbl sliders, 3.2 dsl, 3.31 rear end, used 13.5k mi.
50 Posts
all above suggestions seem like you will find what is most appropriate to order.......DOUBLE SLIDING DOORS may seem silly but it is okay to order something deemed inappropriate sometimes. Never have heard anyone regret having double sliders but many have stated wish they had ordered. 2 cents worth....

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
You are out of luck to order a 2021 Transit with the dual sliding doors as that option has been 'DELETED' for the model year. Was hoping Ford would look further into having a dual sliding door passenger van that would help sell a lot more Transits.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You are out of luck to order a 2021 Transit with the dual sliding doors as that option has been 'DELETED' for the model year. Was hoping Ford would look further into having a dual sliding door passenger van that would help sell a lot more Transits.
I would have loved doubled doors. I think it is a no go in the passenger models because of the entryway path, it would lose seating with exit space on both sides. Back in the day I think it was a wagoneer that only had rear door exit curb side or passenger (US) so kids would not get out into traffic.
Even with any loss of build space the access must be awesome.
-g

·
Registered
839 Posts
Get the extended length.
Very likely you will wish you had if you do not - unless you have a mean HOA or need to use dirty city garages.
Trailer brake controller too - just in case.
Standard alternator now is what used to be the heavy duty alternator, I think. I would still get the dual alternator in case the main one burns out so that you have the luxury of time to arrange a repair. Plus.... more power!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts