Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post so go easy on me. I'm considering ordering an AWD passenger LR 130 WB and trying to figure out the ordering process to get HID lights. It seems if you get an XLT, which includes the exterior upgrade kit, you can option HID but its not on the website build your own. My dealer is clueless and I do not trust their answer. Anybody know if I have this right? How much do HID lights cost?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
You can get the HID lamps on the CrewVan and Passenger van only. Wasting your time with the Ford Online Transit build as it is missing so many available options you can get on the 2020 Transit. That is why Matt Ford has a program called..Matt Ford 2020 B-O-B Transit Service so you can get the best information about ordering a Transit using the 2020 Ford Transit Order Guide, a Transit Build sheet to go along with the order guide to build your own order, MSRP pricing sheets so you know prices for each available option, and then submit it for a preview order generated from the Ford order system and ending with a price quote.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The current order guide (01/02/20) seems a little contradictory. The 91A HID headlights are shown as N/A on page 10 for the cargo van, but optional for all other configurations except Chassis Cab and Cutaway with the 3.5L PFDI.

However, the Exterior Upgrade package-SRW 18D on page 41 covers the Cargo Van and shows the HID's as an Upgradable Feature and doesn't list any restrictions.

I don't know which would take precedence. With all of the demand for the HID's it seems odd that Ford would exclude the Cargo Van. Especially since fitment is not an issue. Maybe something in the wiring harness, but that seems like a really small issue. Ford is having some well documented corporate issues and some discussions about their possibly filing bankruptcy are becoming more frequent. So management decisions appear to be affecting more that just Transits.

·
Super Moderator
1,439 Posts
My first post so go easy on me.
Welcome Dan,

Where are you located? For what it is worth, your experience with your local dealer is the same that many people on this forum have had with their local dealers as well. Most dealers have experience ordering a white van with vinyl seats and the base motor, to be used for fleet or commercial use. Anything outside of that envelope and they just don't know or just don't care. I wanted a T350HD with dual sliding doors. My local dealer said a sliding door on the drivers side was not available "for legal reasons, as passengers would be exiting into traffic". I asked him how 4 door sedans, minivans, and every single car with a drivers door got around that and he stared off into the distance thinking up his next lie. The simple fact is that most salespeople at a dealer want to sell you what is on the lot that day so they can get their commission, because they may not be employed there anymore in a few months when your special order van comes in.

I ended up ordering my Transit from Ed Bowers at Matt Ford in Buckner, MO a suburb of Kansas City. Ed is on here as CrewVanMan and he posted above. He has quite a lot of experience ordering every variation of van you can imagine, and they are a high volume Transit dealer so they have the allocations to order what you need. The other issue is the roof height. If you are considering a high roof, they take longer to ship to your local dealer as they do not fit on a standard rail car. There are some rail cars that can accommodate the taller Transit, but not as many as are needed. Even a Low roof or Mid roof can take a month or more to get to your local dealer as it makes its way from one regional rail depot to another, gets loaded and unloaded, and eventually makes it to a distribution center that supplies your dealer area where a truck transport then takes it to your local dealer. Matt Ford is 23 miles from the Transit factory, so the vans are delivered on a flat bed trailer. There are many horror stories of people on this forum getting news that their van has been built, then waiting weeks and even months to have it delivered to their local dealer.

My van was built on a Tuesday and delivered to Matt Ford on Friday. There are quite a few people on here who did the same thing as me. I bought from Matt Ford, who completely understands option codes, requirements, restrictions, etc. so I was assured that I would get exactly what I ordered. Many others have done this as well then either plane, train, or automobile to Buckner to get the van and enjoy a road trip home. Some people flew in and drove home, some showed up on motorcycles and loaded them up to go home. I was out of the country on business so my wife flew up to Kansas, and Matt Ford picked her up at the airport. She could have been home in one long day but took back roads and made it a leisurely two day trip.

Either way, it is worth consideration unless your local dealer is truly up to speed on Transit ordering.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome Dan,

Where are you located? For what it is worth, your experience with your local dealer is the same that many people on this forum have had with their local dealers as well. Most dealers have experience ordering a white van with vinyl seats and the base motor, to be used for fleet or commercial use. Anything outside of that envelope and they just don't know or just don't care. I wanted a T350HD with dual sliding doors. My local dealer said a sliding door on the drivers side was not available "for legal reasons, as passengers would be exiting into traffic". I asked him how 4 door sedans, minivans, and every single car with a drivers door got around that and he stared off into the distance thinking up his next lie. The simple fact is that most salespeople at a dealer want to sell you what is on the lot that day so they can get their commission, because they may not be employed there anymore in a few months when your special order van comes in.

I ended up ordering my Transit from Ed Bowers at Matt Ford in Buckner, MO a suburb of Kansas City. Ed is on here as CrewVanMan and he posted above. He has quite a lot of experience ordering every variation of van you can imagine, and they are a high volume Transit dealer so they have the allocations to order what you need. The other issue is the roof height. If you are considering a high roof, they take longer to ship to your local dealer as they do not fit on a standard rail car. There are some rail cars that can accommodate the taller Transit, but not as many as are needed. Even a Low roof or Mid roof can take a month or more to get to your local dealer as it makes its way from one regional rail depot to another, gets loaded and unloaded, and eventually makes it to a distribution center that supplies your dealer area where a truck transport then takes it to your local dealer. Matt Ford is 23 miles from the Transit factory, so the vans are delivered on a flat bed trailer. There are many horror stories of people on this forum getting news that their van has been built, then waiting weeks and even months to have it delivered to their local dealer.

My van was built on a Tuesday and delivered to Matt Ford on Friday. There are quite a few people on here who did the same thing as me. I bought from Matt Ford, who completely understands option codes, requirements, restrictions, etc. so I was assured that I would get exactly what I ordered. Many others have done this as well then either plane, train, or automobile to Buckner to get the van and enjoy a road trip home. Some people flew in and drove home, some showed up on motorcycles and loaded them up to go home. I was out of the country on business so my wife flew up to Kansas, and Matt Ford picked her up at the airport. She could have been home in one long day but took back roads and made it a leisurely two day trip.

Either way, it is worth consideration unless your local dealer is truly up to speed on Transit ordering.
I'm a hillbilly in West Virginia. A loaded passenger came in to a dealer 50 miles away so I'm gonna go look at that. That way I can drive it at least.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Going with a LR passenger van with the 130" WB, you will be missing one particular option most buyers want and that is the 3.5L EcoBoost engine. Starting on the 2020 model, that body style can only get the 3.5L PFDI V-6 engine. If you decide you want to go with the larger 148" WB, I have a stock ordered one that may fit you needs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may wait for 2021 to see if they offer the eco Boost in the LR 130. The fact that they cut the power down on it on AWD makes it somewhat less desirable anyway.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
How many seats would you need for passengers? You could get a LR 130" WB AWD CrewVan that would have the 5 passenger seating and you could get the 3.5L EcoBoost engine with that model.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How many seats would you need for passengers? You could get a LR 130" WB AWD CrewVan that would have the 5 passenger seating and you could get the 3.5L EcoBoost engine with that model.
I want 8 passenger seating and a fully carpeted/finished van. I need to remove the second row seats and use the third row as a divider between tools in the rear and toys in the middle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts