Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I test drove a 12 passenger T250 low roof wagon with the 3.7L and 3.73 gears last week. I was surprised that even the Long Wheelbase with 3.7L had good power and acceleration. We plan to tow a 4,000 lb aluminum travel trailer periodically, so I decided 4.10 LS with the 3.7L would be just right for our towing needs. We prefer the simplicity of the 3.7L to the 3.5L Ecoboost. We had previously driven the Nissan NV and wanted to wait and compare it to the Transit. I am glad we waited! We loved the Transit Wagon and decided that the 8 passenger T150 built for our needs will be perfect for our family. We have four little kids (8 months-5 1/2 years old), so this will be a big upgrade from our 2007 Expedition. Way more cargo space! Hopefully this new Transit Wagon will make our lives easier when it comes to moving our family around. Here is what I am ordering:

-T-150 XLT Wagon Regular Wheelbase, Low Roof Height
-3.7L with 4.10 Limited Slip
-Lunar Sky color
-8 passenger with leather seats and vinyl floors (perfect for our 4 kids!)
-Sliding door with running board (much better for getting the kids in and out)
-HD Tow Package with Trailer Brake Controller
-Privacy Glass
-4 Multi-Function Display with Rear View Camera
-Reverse Sensing System
-Aluminum 16" Wheels

I have one question. Do I have to order the keypad for the driver's door separately or does it come in one of the packages?

I will ask my dealer, but he may not know since he didn't even know Ford was making a new Transit until I showed up at his lot. He tried to sell me a Transit Connect:laugh:

·
Registered
184 Posts
52C is the keyless entry pad, it needs to be ordered and is not part of any option package. I would think long and hard about a 3.7L and a 4:11, that's going to be a gas hog and not very good for towing IMO. The 3.5L and the 3:73 gears would be better. If you can find the power curves for both engines you'll see why.

Epps

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the code to give the dealer.

The 3.5L Ecoboost is a great motor, but I am very impressed by the 3.7L and think it is sufficient. The 3.73 gears are probably best if you do not plan to tow much weight. The 4.10 gears will be better suited and keep me in higher RPMs. The 3.73s put the 3.7L at about 2400rpm at 75mph. The 4.10s will raise that to about 2500-2600rpms. That is my maximum traveling speed. I am comfortable with that.

I will say that the power seemed to really fall off at around 70mph when the air resistance slowed the big Transit down. The 4.10s will help with that, but so will going with the Regular Wheelbase. Also, I drove around in manual shift mode to test out the range of each gear. I felt like 1st gear with the 3.73s was fine for an empty vehicle, but would feel at little too tall when towing.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Also consider the width of your travel trailer. If it is wider than a Transit, you might want the "long" mirrors, which stick out two or three inches more than the "short" mirrors.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good thinking, Dale. I didn't even consider that.

I think the standard mirrors will work well for my purposes. The travel trailer is not too wide to tow with my Expedition with standard width mirrors, so it should work well with the Transit.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I towed a 25' Airstream Excella with my last Club Wagon with a 4.09 rear end (and much larger V-8), and was glad for the extra power leverage when needed. Locking out Overdrive did lower the MPG somewhat, but the new 6-speed transmission may help in this regard with a finer adjustment of exact gear to choose.

PB, what brand and model of trailer are you towing, and are you familiar with the ParkLiner out of North Carolina (under 3500 lb. max. loaded)? Thanks for any trailer feedback you might have.

http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/off-topic/3305-small-trailers.html

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not sure the model. My dad owns it and lets us use it whenever we want. It is a 26' all-aluminum with no slide out. Tows easily on flat ground, but hills will make the Expedition search for a gear unless I lock it out of overdrive. I am SO glad the Transit will have a manual shift mode. It was smooth and worked very well on the one I test drove.

4.10 gears should keep it from downshifting from 6th when going up hills unloaded. 6th gear was definitely only good for cruising. I locked it in 6th on manual mode and tried to accelerate.... and yeah, it was sluggish. But it only felt that way in 6th gear. Lower gears had great torque. The LWB 3.7L with 3.73s would definitely downshift at highway speed unless cruising on flat ground. 4.10 gears are not THAT much lower than 3.73s, but it should make the extra difference when towing. I doubt it will hurt gas mileage by anything more than maybe 1mpg. I guess I will find out!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For those interested, after adding the keypad option (52C) this is how the deal worked out:

Sticker Price: $39,715

Sale Price: $37,950

Invoice Price: $37,033

I am happy with the price we agreed upon and I think this is going to be a great family van. Now I just have to try to be very patient and wait, wait, wait...

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
For those interested, after adding the keypad option (52C) this is how the deal worked out:

Sticker Price: $39,715

Sale Price: $37,950

Invoice Price: $37,033

I am happy with the price we agreed upon and I think this is going to be a great family van. Now I just have to try to be very patient and wait, wait, wait...
Good luck! If down the road you discover problems in the build process, please consider posting in the following thread also, so that others waiting can compare notes. Thanks.

http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/purchasing-ordering/3594-tracking-build-dates.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts