Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Order Price Increase

2283 65
I need some advice. I did a custom order 2023 Transit and my preview order, that I signed at the dealership, has one MSRP and my window sticker has a MSRP that’s $1500 higher. I preemptively asked my sales guy about this and his said my price was locked in and I have that in a text message. Now he is saying it’s all Ford and there’s nothing he can do.

Anyone else deal with this? What are my options here aside from walking away from the order?
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

· Registered
7,675 Posts
I need some advice. I did a custom order 2023 Transit and my preview order, that I signed at the dealership, has one MSRP and my window sticker has a MSRP that’s $1500 higher. I preemptively asked my sales guy about this and his said my price was locked in and I have that in a text message. Now he is saying it’s all Ford and there’s nothing he can do.

Anyone else deal with this? What are my options here aside from walking away from the order?
Did your dealer get a signed copy of your preview order along with a copy of your driver's license AND submit to Ford for the COVP confirmation? The COVP confirmation is what gets you the price protection.

· Registered
2023 Ford Transit | AWD 3.5L Ecoboost | 148" extended length, high roof
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you dealer get a signed copy of your preview order along with a copy of your driver's license AND submit to Ford for the COVP confirmation? The COVP confirmation is what gets you the price protection.
Yes I have a signed preview order and it has a sales code on it so assuming that’s all legitimate. This is all happening as my Transit is set to arrive next week … :/

· Registered
323 Posts
My dealership (Price Ford Simi Valley, CA) attempted to refuse to give me my $6,000 private offer so once they finally agreed to that, they really did not want to honor the original and signed order with the original MSRP (prices went up $1,500 in September so that's what your window sticker will show).

In my opinion, all you can do is demand that they honor your original price at the price level that you agreed to when you signed the order. You can threaten to report them to Ford corporate. You can threaten to report them to the better business burea. You can threaten to post your experience here on our forum.

Remember though that they want you to walk away. They want to sell your van to someone else with their additional mark up on top of the window sticker.

The price that they paid for the van correlates to the price that you agreed to pay when you signed the order. If you don't get them to deduct the $1,500 then they get to keep that and give their sad and oppressed employees a pizza party at the end of the year as a Christmas bonus.

These dealer practices are pathetic.

Please see my next post so that you can see how my dealership wrote up the $1,500 as a line-item "discount."

Best of luck with this. Please keep us posted and please post the name of the dealership.

Have you shown them the screenshot of the text when they agreed? Not that it matters - they'll just say that whoever sent that was misinformed....

· Registered
323 Posts
Talk to the dealership general manager. If that doesn't work go to the owner(s). You can bring up going to the better business bureau, local news station, Google reviews, etc.
This is solid advice.

Do not let them tell you that it "doesn't work like that."

If they didn't take your drivers license or they didn't submit it through COVP that is their problem. Not yours. If they didn't process your order correctly, that needs to be brought to their GM's attention.

You're entitled to pay the price that you agreed to when you placed your order.

· Registered
2021 W2X High Roof Cargo T350, 148", EcoB, AWD, Avalanche Grey
889 Posts
If your window sticker is green then your van is a custom order in your name. Ford corporate expects you'll pay the price on your order preview at the time of deposit. Ford corporate also expects the dealership to sell it to you, unless you sign off so the dealership can sell it. Ford needs to know if your dealership doesn't see it this way.

Ford's data systems only show current pricing. The price code locks your deal price. If your dealer says otherwise, don't accept it. If your dealer plays hardball, don't walk. You might have to escalate but you have enough info in this thread to push back for your original deal. Good luck.

· Registered
323 Posts
@Sams stock van nailed it.

Hang in there.

Don't be hesitant to escalate things if-needed. Go and sit at the dealership until they get Ford corporate on the phone to explain to you - on speaker phone in front of the GM and the dealership owner - why you're going to pay an extra $1,500.

These people aren't your friend and they do not want what's best for you or your financial situation.

They want to bully you into walking away.

· Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for all the advice everyone, I feel better prepared with all this intel. I’m going to fight this and I’ll let ya’ll know WHEN I win :)
I just went through the same thing this past weekend while picking up my van. Thankfully I learned so much on this forum that I went in assuming to fight but knew what to say. I pulled out my copy of the COVP order that we did along with the private offer code I had to beat out of the Ford marketing people.
Long story short I got the original price (after changing body codes and to a 2023) and the $6000 private offer.

· Registered
2022 XLT Low-Roof Passenger (ordered Oct 2021, received May 2022)
327 Posts

Make sure that you get a sales order signed by both you and your salesperson or the sales manager that has an out-the-door price (preferred) or at least a price plus taxes and government-imposed fees. If you are getting an X Plan discount or any other sort of discount, it needs to specify the exact discount amount on the sales order. This is essential to ensuring that, after you wait months for your van to arrive and it arrives after the order bank is closed for the model year, your dealer doesn't try to change the price on you. It also protects you against future price increases (MSRP went up about $4,000 during the 2022 model year) and also ensures that, if they are giving you X Plan pricing if you are eligible, that they do it because dealerships are not obligated to take X Plan. The only thing that should change regarding pricing from when you place your order to when you take delivery is if government-imposed taxes and fees change (so if your state or county sales tax rate goes up 0.5% or your county/state raises the tag or title fee by $50 between when you order and when you take delivery, you will have to pay the higher tax/fee). This is a lot less important now because there are currently zero incentives on a Transit except for things like first responder discounts, but also have your sales order specify that manufacturer incentives available at the time of delivery go to you, the customer (so if Ford offers $500 cash back, it goes to you and not to your dealer as additional profit). This is important because, along with your deposit and signed order preview sheet, you have a written contract with your dealership that can be legally enforced should they refuse to honor it. IF THEY WON'T GIVE YOU A SIGNED SALES ORDER WITH AN OUT-THE-DOOR PRICE OR AT LEAST A PRICE BEFORE TAXES AND GOVERNMENT FEES, WALK AWAY!!!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts