Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have opinions or experiences with Ford's extended service plans? I ordered a 2016 Transit 350 ext. DRW I5 3.2 for a family hauler for 8 kids and heavy use - I am considering getting the "extended warranty" to give myself some peace of mind. We drive a lot for non commercial use (about 20,000 a year) and want to protect the investment. This will the first new vehicle we have ever bought. For 5 years or 125,000 miles of 'PremiumCARE' we are looking at about $3,000 for the warranty from Ford.

Any experiences or opinions on Ford's extended warranty will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Won't say yeah or nay for the actual purchase, but the price of the warranty is negotiable, and you can buy from any Ford dealer, not just the selling dealer. If they tell you the price is set in stone, they are lying....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The price from the dealership that you showed me gives me a $0.00 deductible for same term and milage for $2,600. So going through a different dealership I see I can already save $400. Thanks for the information.

What about using the ESP? Has anyone used it for a repair, and if so what was your experience?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
DeemTime,

Had you entered "Ford Maintainence programs" into the SEARCH box above right, you would have found a whole thread on the costs etc. I'm bringing my post over here to show you how much markup there is and what I got and for what price. When you enter the Lombard sight, there is a question about a discount. Give them the information and they will e-mail you a offer code and a discount dollar amount. You can go to any dealer, like I did and do what I did. You might want to check out the previous Thread about the programs. Discount was $185.00, believe it is more now. Just explain to your dealer that he will be doing the work no matter who you buy the extended plan from, so he might as well make a little profit rather than none if you buy from someone else.

Semper Fi

Was able to pick up a Ford ESP, 6 year, 60,000 mile, $0.00 deductible warranty along with a 6 year, 75,000 mile or 10 visit , $0.00 deductible Ford maintainence warranty, both for a total of $1,960.00.

Selling dealer's general mgr, met the prices I could find on-line after I explained that his dealership would be doing the work, anyway, why not get some profit rather than none.

I don't drive many miles per year, but unable to do the work myself. In 5 years, I will probably have about 25-30K on the vehicle. Figure the up-front cost will help with resale on the back end. Purchaser will be completly covered for at least a year or more.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
666 Posts
Does anyone have opinions or experiences with Ford's extended service plans? I ordered a 2016 Transit 350 ext. DRW I5 3.2 for a family hauler for 8 kids and heavy use - I am considering getting the "extended warranty" to give myself some peace of mind. We drive a lot for non commercial use (about 20,000 a year) and want to protect the investment. This will the first new vehicle we have ever bought. For 5 years or 125,000 miles of 'PremiumCARE' we are looking at about $3,000 for the warranty from Ford.

Any experiences or opinions on Ford's extended warranty will be appreciated.

There is a lot of wiggle room in the price of the extended warranty that the dealers sell. Mine was deeply discounted because I expressed hesitation due to the twin turbo and the intake problem at #2 cylinder.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
There is a lot of wiggle room because there is a lot of profit because there is a dearth of value. Add in the fact a dealer mechanic has to do the work and you're looking at one seriously bad investment.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I'm bringing my post over here to show you how much markup there is and what I got and for what price. When you enter the Lombard sight, there is a question about a discount. Give them the information and they will e-mail you a offer code and a discount dollar amount. You can go to any dealer, like I did and do what I did. You might want to check out the previous Thread about the programs. Discount was $185.00, believe it is more now. Just explain to your dealer that he will be doing the work no matter who you buy the extended plan from, so he might as well make a little profit rather than none if you buy from someone else.

Semper Fi

Reviving this for those interested in an extended service plan (ESP).
Received an e-mail from Lombard Ford that the discount is now $233.00 and the name has changed. Now called "Ford Protect" and it is available for up to 150,000 miles. I used their quotes to get the same at my local dealer when I purchased my Transit. ( ESP - 6 yrs 60K & Extended Warrenty 6 yr 75K, $0 deductable, both for $1960.00 )

Semper Fi

·
Registered
410 Posts
A heads up for 4WD Transit owners: we are ineligible for the Ford Extended Service Plans as well as most Maintenance Plans ... .

I just spoke with someone at http://www.lombardfordwarrantys.com/. Very helpful. This is one of the sites you can shop for quotes before you go to your dealer to purchase the van, or you can buy the plans from them and have the van serviced at any dealer.

It says it on the website when you get a quote, but I asked him innocently and any vehicle modified from 2WD is not eligible for:
any of the Ford Protect Extended Service Plans
and the Ford Protect Premium Maintenance Plan

It's in the manual for the plans ... .

Other options: third party extended warranty, or the more limited and less interesting Ford maintenance plans (limited, basic, engine).

Mine will be Quigley but same thing probably applies to QuadVan.

"Ineligible Vehicles & Usages:
Ineligible vehicles and usages: Taxi, Livery, Shuttle, Foose F-150, GT, Mustang Cobra R, All Roush performance modified vehicles (except Stage 1 and Stage 2), Shelby GT 350, Shelby GT 500 KR, GTS and Supersnake, All Saleen modified vehicles, Fuel Cell vehicles, Transit Connect Electric, 4x2-equipped vehicles modified with 4x4/AWD capabilities, E/F-450 and higher vehicles. Vehicles used for Competitive driving, Racing, Off - road use, Vehicles with a voided warranty, branded or salvaged title. Incomplete Ford vehicles that have the first 3 VIN positions of 1FC, 1FD (except body types E14, E24, E31, E34, S31, S34 or S24) 1F6,1MH, 2FC, 2FD, 2MH, 3FC, 3FD, 3FE, 3FR. Please call for pricing for incomplete vehicles."

I wasn't sure I wanted an extended plan anyway, but thought I'd get a quote to bring in with me to the dealer when purchasing. Now I don't need to worry about it. :)

Anyone with a 4WD Transit actually able to buy one?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
People considering a Quigley mod should factor in the money they save by not getting hosed on a worthless extended warranty.

·
Registered
26 Posts

I just got my new FORD PROTECT offer. I read through the posts on this and another thread and I followed/looked into the Lombard links. I didn’t see an offer for an extended warranty in either Ford’s mailer or Lombard’s link although they both allude to it’s existence.

Is FORD PROTECT an option or a replacement for an extended warranty?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts