Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody figured out how to open the 2020 glove box to access the aux fuses and cabin filter? It appears that the design has been changed for 2020 and it's not obvious how to open it. There's stops on both sides, I tried squeezing both sides of the glove box and using a screwdriver to press them in but it requires more force than I would expect. Any help is appreciated.

The OM and BEMM has not provided any help.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Has anybody figured out how to open the 2020 glove box to access the aux fuses and cabin filter?
LeakyTiki,

In the below video for up fitter switches on a 2019, he pulls down on 2 points at the back top of the glove box. Has the 2020 changed from that ?

Good Luck

Semper Fi

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LeakyTiki,

In the below video for up fitter switches on a 2019, he pulls down on 2 points at the back top of the glove box. Has the 2020 changed from that ?

Good Luck

Semper Fi

I've seen these videos and it appears to me that the 2020 does not have the simple tabs that the earlier models have.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Following are photos of the glove box. There are stops on both sides, I thought they might be spring loaded but they do not appear to move easily so I did not force them.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I ran mine over the the dealer (.5 miles from my doorstep) and a "confident" service guy looked at it puzzling for a moment and then really pushed hard on the side in order to clear the tops. The plastic looked like it had been stressed and he said, if you have any problem with it we'll replace it.

So.. after looking at the whole situation after it was popped out there appears to be no other less-stress provision for removing (opening fully) the glove box other than pressing in very hard toward the rear top of the box to get it past the stops on the side.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ran mine over the the dealer (.5 miles from my doorstep) and a "confident" service guy looked at it puzzling for a moment and then really pushed hard on the side in order to clear the tops. The plastic looked like it had been stressed and he said, if you have any problem with it we'll replace it.

So.. after looking at the whole situation after it was popped out there appears to be no other less-stress provision for removing (opening fully) the glove box other than pressing in very hard toward the rear top of the box to get it past the stops on the side.
Thanks for looking into it. When I took the van in to look at the swivel seat wiring I also asked about the glove box but the service tech did not look at it. The service writer looked at it and did not know how to open it. After your response I looked at it again and it would take a lot of force to open it with a good chance of breaking something. I also looked at the bottom to see if there might be a release which would allow the entire box to be removed but I did not see anything obvious.

I'll wait a little longer to see if somebody finds another easier way to open it. It looks like the glove box was easy to open on the 2015-2019 models so it's interesting that it's much harder on the 2020.

Reactions: Vanpackr

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally opened the glove box today. I used a trim removal tool to push both tabs in to clear the stops. I started by pressing in the left tab in until it cleared the stop and pulled the glove box out a little to hold the tab in place. Then I pressed the right tab in until it cleared the stop and then the glove box opened.

While it might be possible to open the glove box without a tool I think it might be necessary to use a tool to reduce the chance of breaking the glove box.

I checked the cabin air filter and there is one installed on ours. The upfitter switch plugs might be a challenge to access, removing the cup holder assembly on the right side of the glove box might improve access.

Following are photos of the opened glove box along with the trim removal tool.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I just tackled this -- and didn't have a trim tool (great idea) The right one can be pushed inward by reaching through the cup holder access -- it makes it quite easy to barely flex that side. The left (Drivers) I sort of carefully 'levered' with a very long / blunt screwdriver. No harm no foul...tabs weren't overly stressed...but it's a weak setup.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I've been away from this thread but saw it come back up. The trick I found was to remove the passenger side "cubby" just to the right of the glove box. It pops out by hand and reveals access to the tab on the right side of the glove box. No tools needed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got my glovebox down yesterday..thanks for the insight..needing to get to auxiliary upfitter switch harness and run wires to it. I removed cubby in right but need to remove piece that cubby was in..anyone proceeded this far? I removed two 7mm bolts and have pried it back some..something is still holding..not sure if you guys knew what to take off..dont need to remove upper section just bottom beside glove box..thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Accessing the cabin air filter behind the glove box on the 20MY and 21MY Transits.

From clues I got here, and studying the design on my 21MY Transit, this is how to access the area behind the glove box, including the cabin air filter.
  1. Remove the angled bottle holder insert located to the right of the glove box. It unsnaps, no tools required.
  2. Insert hand in void behind bottle holder and feel for the right catch on the open glove box so you know what it feels like.
  3. Use a flat plastic trim tool to gently pry the left glove box catch and pull the glove box towards you just far enough to release it on the left side.
  4. Insert hand in void behind bottle holder and push the right glove box catch with your finger to release it and pull the glove box towards you.
  5. It is now open, dumping anything you had in the glove box on the floor.
I confirmed that there is a cabin air filter element in my Transit. The was apparently not the case in some earlier years.

I also confirmed that Ford designers took what was a pretty easy operation in earlier years and made it unnecessarily difficult. Not impressed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anybody figured out how to open the 2020 glove box to access the aux fuses and cabin filter? It appears that the design has been changed for 2020 and it's not obvious how to open it. There's stops on both sides, I tried squeezing both sides of the glove box and using a screwdriver to press them in but it requires more force than I would expect. Any help is appreciated.

The OM and BEMM has not provided any help.
You need to remove the lower cover over the dashboard. Next squeeze on tabs to get the tabs past the stops. Next, using a mirror, remove the pins from the hinges for the glove box. Use a small screw driver to get them started and a large screwdriver to completely remove them then remove the glove box. Next disconnect the negative terminal on the battery where it is bolted to the chassis just to the right of the battery. Now remove the body control module which is the part with all the fuses and plugs. Now you can get to the cover for the cabin air filter which on the side of the blower housing for the heater. It's on the left of the BCM next to the firewall mounted vertically. Squeeze the handles to release the tabs. I just did this for the first time today.

·
Registered
2020 148 HR AWD
309 Posts
I just removed my glovebox to check on the cabin filter on my MY2020. Much easier than some of the recent posts suggest; I just needed to remove the passenger side angled “cup holder” as described by @Vanpackr (thanks!) and within 5 seconds of feeling around and squeezing with my aged fingers the glovebox just dropped down. I had trim tools handy but didn’t need them. As far as I can tell the shape, and hopefully the actual part for the filter are the same as what Amazon lists for 2015-19 but says may not fit 2020 and newer.

·
Registered
2020 148 HR AWD
309 Posts
Just following up, I replaced my cabin filter just now. And I didn’t even empty the glove box. The removed cup holder insert is stable enough and exactly the right height, to set on the floor and support the opened glovebox while still letting it pivot down enough to get full access to the filter. Coincidence, or brilliant serviceability engineering by Ford? I dunno, but the whole job took about 3 minutes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You need to remove the lower cover over the dashboard. Next squeeze on tabs to get the tabs past the stops. Next, using a mirror, remove the pins from the hinges for the glove box. Use a small screw driver to get them started and a large screwdriver to completely remove them then remove the glove box. Next disconnect the negative terminal on the battery where it is bolted to the chassis just to the right of the battery. Now remove the body control module which is the part with all the fuses and plugs. Now you can get to the cover for the cabin air filter which on the side of the blower housing for the heater. It's on the left of the BCM next to the firewall mounted vertically. Squeeze the handles to release the tabs. I just did this for the first time today.
You just described how to replace the cabin air filter on a 2018 Explorer. When you said "remove the pins from the hinges" it was deja vu.
On a serious note I'm getting my third Transit, company vehicle, and I came here to see if they finally came with a cabin air filter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts