Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Ongoing EGR Cooler, and DEF System issues 350HD 3.2L Turbo Diesel

806 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  kingbird101
Any help would be greatly appreciated! My 2017 350HD 3,2L turbo diesel has 102,000 miles, and I am now on my 4th EGR cooler. I had it replaced once before moving and driving it to California (I think around 80k). I had problems with the engine not turning completely off and "chugging" for lack of a better word as I turned the key to the off position. brought it to a dealer in California and got EGR cooler replaced again under warranty less then 6000 miles after my first egr replacement. Less then a couple months later I had similar problems and took my van to another shop because I was not fond of the service at the first shop. new shop said my EGR cooler was bad and was needing replacement. Again it was covered under warranty. Last time I took it to the new shop they said I needed a new catalytic converter, and vaporizer fuel assembly(I think this is unrelated). By the time I drove it home after the diagnosis the "chugging" came back which is related to the EGR cooler. I'm taking it back to the shop tomorrow, and I am pretty frustrated.

Notes:
-Vans is restricted to reduced power mode. I get notifications saying drive to clean, engine fault, diesel particulate filter clogged. seems like the soot levels are off the charts.
-Ford truck center quoted me $8684 to replace the catalytic converter, vaporizer fuel assembly, a module, and related components in august of 2021.
-My adventure van has been sitting ever since.

A couple questions for you guy's:

1) Do you think its possible something is permanently damaged at the EGR cooler interface causing it to fail? I'm tired of replacing this thing.... and I have reason to believe it may be related to my clogged/damaged catalytic converter. Seems like if the fuel is running rich for long periods it could cause premature failure? Catalytic converters should not go bad at 102,000 miles!
2) Is the vaporizer fuel assembly related to the reductant heater and sender assembly which is covered under the customer satisfaction program?
3) Do you think I could argue the clogged catalytic converter should be covered under the "related damages" clause within the EGR cooler or reductant heater and sender assembly customer satisfaction programs?

Customer Satisfaction Programs:

EGR COOLER REPLACEMENT
Campaign#
18M06

REDUCTANT HEATER AND SENDER ASSEMBLY
Campaign#
20M02
Reactions: Fanbulance
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
227 Posts
Sorry to hear you've had so much problems. I have a 2016 3.2L diesel with 120K miles. I had both the EGR Cooler and DEF sensor replaced recently before the warranty expired, although I was not sure if the previous EGR cooler had problem. I'm watching all the parameters carefully while driving with ForScan. I'm mostly concerned about the DPF soot level and regeneration frequency.

I am not an expert on diesel engine, but I question that engine chugging is caused by the EGR cooler. Did the engine light turn on and what are the codes? Where are you located at and which dealers did you bring your car to? I'm in San Jose. I have taken my car to 3 different dealers and am not impressed at any of them. The last dealership was the "best", and the service manager gave me the number of a nearby independent mechanic. He said diesel mechanics are becoming rare at the dealers and actually recommended this guy a block away. This independent mechanic shop had very good review. I came to talk to him - he seemed very knowledgeable on the diesel engine and the EPA equipment, although he never serviced the Ford Transit Diesel engine before. If I have any issue I will bring it to this guy.

So ... you may want to call and ask around for a good diesel mechanic in your area. I don't trust the dealership anymore.

· Registered
2015 350 HD EL 3.2L HR Diesel Wagon
426 Posts
Have you done a forced regeneration?

· Registered
25 Posts
Any help would be greatly appreciated! My 2017 350HD 3,2L turbo diesel has 102,000 miles, and I am now on my 4th EGR cooler. I had it replaced once before moving and driving it to California (I think around 80k). I had problems with the engine not turning completely off and "chugging" for lack of a better word as I turned the key to the off position. brought it to a dealer in California and got EGR cooler replaced again under warranty less then 6000 miles after my first egr replacement. Less then a couple months later I had similar problems and took my van to another shop because I was not fond of the service at the first shop. new shop said my EGR cooler was bad and was needing replacement. Again it was covered under warranty. Last time I took it to the new shop they said I needed a new catalytic converter, and vaporizer fuel assembly(I think this is unrelated). By the time I drove it home after the diagnosis the "chugging" came back which is related to the EGR cooler. I'm taking it back to the shop tomorrow, and I am pretty frustrated.

Notes:
-Vans is restricted to reduced power mode. I get notifications saying drive to clean, engine fault, diesel particulate filter clogged. seems like the soot levels are off the charts.
-Ford truck center quoted me $8684 to replace the catalytic converter, vaporizer fuel assembly, a module, and related components in august of 2021.
-My adventure van has been sitting ever since.

A couple questions for you guy's:

1) Do you think its possible something is permanently damaged at the EGR cooler interface causing it to fail? I'm tired of replacing this thing.... and I have reason to believe it may be related to my clogged/damaged catalytic converter. Seems like if the fuel is running rich for long periods it could cause premature failure? Catalytic converters should not go bad at 102,000 miles!
2) Is the vaporizer fuel assembly related to the reductant heater and sender assembly which is covered under the customer satisfaction program?
3) Do you think I could argue the clogged catalytic converter should be covered under the "related damages" clause within the EGR cooler or reductant heater and sender assembly customer satisfaction programs?

Customer Satisfaction Programs:

EGR COOLER REPLACEMENT
Campaign#
18M06

REDUCTANT HEATER AND SENDER ASSEMBLY
Campaign#
20M02
the Catalytic converter/DPF on my 2019 F250 pickup went bad at 14K miles. If it happens again and it's not covered by warranty, I'll just cut it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.