Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read a lot about this and haven't found a clear answer. So, I'll ask it. We have a 2020 Transit 250 148 mid and I am considering installing the Maxxair 7500 up top. Our van came with the upgraded dual battery system. I believe that means 140 amp hours total. I figure the fan draws only 5 amps. So... Anyone running from the van's batteries?

Also, an installer said the Upfitter Auxiliary Switches system includes a low voltage disconnect to prevent discharging the van batteries. However, I find nothing about that in the literature. Of course, I understand we can add one and I will, unless he is correct.

We live in hot North Carolina. My thought is to first install the Maxxair and lots of insulation to see how that is before moving to a full roof air conditioner. Thoughts?

Thanks for your time and experience.

Dave in NC

·
Registered
250 Posts
Firstly, I'd say you should just get a house battery. Even with my minimalist build I have one. I don't know if you are always in range of AAA but I am often not and a flat starting battery in the middle of nowhere sucks.

But as to your question, the answer is a little murky as I don't know exactly what SOC (state of charge) is required to successfully start a cold engine. Let's say it is 75%. If you have 140 amp hours that gives you 35aH to play with. That will allow you to run the fan for 7 hours. However, I find my maxxair draws less than 5 amps and that is with the fan on high. Maybe you can run it less than full blast. But then you probably have more than just the fan to run, which of course adds to the load.

I have no idea about the upfitter switches and a low voltage disconnect. As you say you can install one. But then in a best case scenario you are without lights, fan and anything else you usually run until you start the vehicle and run it. Me, I'd just get a house battery.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts