Ford Transit USA Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

Registered
2021 T350 Cargo HR 148 AWD
Don't be intimidated to winterize pex plumbing under the floor. On 5th wheel toyhaulers I've owned, I found it best to blow all the plumbing out with compressed air like a sprinkler system, then suck a little RV antifreeze into the system, then blow out the plumbing again. Never had a problem with this method.

Registered
if you search my posts, i have one showing actual van weights.
Y'all do know you can run things UNDER the van? Reading some of this i guess that's just not a thing most people do?
i have all kinds of wires and drains and pex running around (neatly) underneath. For instance cable from CCP to B2B runs across floor between front seats, under passenger seat, and then thru water tight strain relief in the floor (with a bunch of other wires) and back to C pillar and electronics and batteries mounted above wheel well.

Registered
2022 W2X 350 HR AWD EB
I see lots of builds with the electrical system built on the drivers side of the van and water tank and other stuff on passenger side. Is there any real reason for this?
Being that I'm going to install a Rixen system I was planning on water system on the driver side and electrical on the passenger. Of coarse this means running water lines over to the kitchen by the slider under the floor, Getting electrical to the other side should be easy.

Is there a reason I should rethink these plans?
What about a fresh water tank going east-west between the wheel wells?
Last does any one put both systems on the same side? I would assume drivers side if you did and would this be bad?
I鈥檓 thinking my placement of water/electrical will be based on location of where I install the sink. Originally I was going to have the sink and cooktop (induction) on the driver side. For this arrangement the water tank and water heater (Rixen) was going to be on the drivers side and electrical on the passenger side. Now I鈥檓 thinking of the sink on the passenger side and cooktop on the driver side. For this arrangement I鈥檒l put the water tank on the passenger side (inside) and electrical on the driver side.

I like the idea of the water tank under the van on the driver side but then I鈥檇 have to heat the tank and protect it from rocks/tree stumps.

Then again, I may change my layout again and rethink the whole water tank/electrical placement.

Registered
2022 T350HD #11000 Avalanche Gray
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I鈥檓 thinking my placement of water/electrical will be based on location of where I install the sink. Originally I was going to have the sink and cooktop (induction) on the driver side. For this arrangement the water tank and water heater (Rixen) was going to be on the drivers side and electrical on the passenger side. Now I鈥檓 thinking of the sink on the passenger side and cooktop on the driver side. For this arrangement I鈥檒l put the water tank on the passenger side (inside) and electrical on the driver side.

I like the idea of the water tank under the van on the driver side but then I鈥檇 have to heat the tank and protect it from rocks/tree stumps.

Then again, I may change my layout again and rethink the whole water tank/electrical placement.
My current plan is an East-West platform bed in back with garage under it, then the rest of the right side will be kitchen with an extra swing up counter on the end. The kitchen will extend thru half of the sliding door opening. On the left side we are going to have a shower and the rest of the space on that side is still undecided. We will play with it and decide after we have the van. So in the garage will be our water and electrical systems.
I want to build the electrical system in an 8020 frame that can be removed as a complete system. So there will have to be some disconnect switches and plugs but we will see.
The Rixen heater and water setup will also be back there. I see no way to make the Rixen removeable so the water system will stay. The bed will be removable. That way we can use the van to carry some larger items if needed.
Would be nice to make the kitchen removable but then I would have to figure out hoe to disconnect water supply lines and the drain.
The only items I plan on having under the van are the rixen furnace and 2 gray water tanks and they will have heat pads on them incase we end up in some freezing weather. 1 tank under the shower and one under the kitchen.

Registered
2022 W2X 350 HR AWD EB
My current plan is an East-West platform bed in back with garage under it, then the rest of the right side will be kitchen with an extra swing up counter on the end. The kitchen will extend thru half of the sliding door opening. On the left side we are going to have a shower and the rest of the space on that side is still undecided. We will play with it and decide after we have the van. So in the garage will be our water and electrical systems.
I want to build the electrical system in an 8020 frame that can be removed as a complete system. So there will have to be some disconnect switches and plugs but we will see.
The Rixen heater and water setup will also be back there. I see no way to make the Rixen removeable so the water system will stay. The bed will be removable. That way we can use the van to carry some larger items if needed.
Would be nice to make the kitchen removable but then I would have to figure out hoe to disconnect water supply lines and the drain.
The only items I plan on having under the van are the rixen furnace and 2 gray water tanks and they will have heat pads on them incase we end up in some freezing weather. 1 tank under the shower and one under the kitchen.
Sounds very similar to what I have planned minus the shower. Our shower would be off the back on the outside. Cooktop is on the driver side to provide separation in the case two people want to be involved with the meal preparation (keeps elbows at a distance). I鈥檒l have to wait until I get the van to see it that鈥檚 really possible.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Sounds very similar to what I have planned minus the shower. Our shower would be off the back on the outside. Cooktop is on the driver side to provide separation in the case two people want to be involved with the meal preparation (keeps elbows at a distance). I鈥檒l have to wait until I get the van to see it that鈥檚 really possible.
We are going to use induction cook top and decided not to mount it so we can use it outside the kitchen when we want. We have been RV'ing for 36 years and prefer to cook outside as much as we can. Shower/toilet inside is a requirement as we plan to full time in it or at least go months at a time.

Registered
2022 W2X 350 HR AWD EB
We are going to use induction cook top and decided not to mount it so we can use it outside the kitchen when we want. We have been RV'ing for 36 years and prefer to cook outside as much as we can. Shower/toilet inside is a requirement as we plan to full time in it or at least go months at a time.
I had thought of a portable cooktop so we could cook outside but lately decided to keep everything inside and ready to use. If I鈥檓 outside it would be for grilling. We too have been camping/RVing for years. We are currently full time (5 years) in a class A and pull an overland Jeep. We spend about equal time living in the Jeep as we do in the RV. Currently in Baja with only the Jeep for 4 months.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I had thought of a portable cooktop so we could cook outside but lately decided to keep everything inside and ready to use. If I鈥檓 outside it would be for grilling. We too have been camping/RVing for years. We are currently full time (5 years) in a class A and pull an overland Jeep. We spend about equal time living in the Jeep as we do in the RV. Currently in Baja with only the Jeep for 4 months.
I agree with the drilling but we will not be taking a grill with us and often we are at places without fires being aloud. So the cook top will be the answer then. I will have my camp stove that I can use too and often that will be what we do.

Registered
2022 W2X 350 HR AWD EB
I agree with the drilling but we will not be taking a grill with us and often we are at places without fires being aloud. So the cook top will be the answer then. I will have my camp stove that I can use too and often that will be what we do.
With that U8X you can probably bring everything you would dream of 馃槈. Our little W2X will need to be trimmed down a bit but it will hold more than the Wrangler.

I use a FlatPit grill. Folds flat, can be used as a BLM approved fire pit and even has a propane adapter if wanted. It鈥檚 stored on the floor behind the driver seat in my Jeep.

What size fresh water tank are you thinking of?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
With that U8X you can probably bring everything you would dream of 馃槈. Our little W2X will need to be trimmed down a bit but it will hold more than the Wrangler.

I use a FlatPit grill. Folds flat, can be used as a BLM approved fire pit and even has a propane adapter if wanted. It鈥檚 stored on the floor behind the driver seat in my Jeep.

What size fresh water tank are you thinking of?
I will check out that grill.
I'm thinking 30-40 gallons, yes it is a lot but if we are not planning on being out away from water I will not fill it.
We are also doing a recirculating shower.

Registered
BLM approved fire pit
I looked around a bit for a regulation(s) document for fire pits and only found general rules for campfires. Would you know where I might look? I'd like to see if my Volcano grill would meet the regulations (seems like it would).

That Flat Pit grill sure does look nice. If I hadn't already been gifted my Volcano a while back ...

Registered
2022 W2X 350 HR AWD EB
I looked around a bit for a regulation(s) document for fire pits and only found general rules for campfires. Would you know where I might look? I'd like to see if my Volcano grill would meet the regulations (seems like it would).

That Flat Pit grill sure does look nice. If I hadn't already been gifted my Volcano a while back ...
Here is one for the John Day River
BLM Fire Pan

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.