Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
In my case it my plan is the result of other layout (packaging) considerations. It also happens (well not just chance), that the location also corresponds simpler installation of the utilities. With the sizing of my systems they should be pretty close in weigh (about 100 lbs).

That will be offset by the fact that the density of stuff stored under on the drivers side will be less dense (bicycles) than "stuff" stored on the passengers side. The garage will have 3 "bays" so it will be possible to adjust the weight distribution in that area.

As to the native weight distribution of the vehicle: The gas tank is located towards the centerline of the van and is somewhat offset by the exhaust system and even a bit by the further outboard by the sliding door. BTW - pretty much all of that weight is located between the axles, so a good percentage of that weight differential will be carried on the font axle.

There may be some postings with weights on individual wheels were posted. That would be the proof in the pudding.
If you are significantly concerned about weight distribution in the vehicle, it might be a good idea to get your actual wheel weights as a starting point. I suppose you have the heavy duty front axle, even so, it may be a good idea to keep tabs on that load.

Personally, even though I am more concerned with and designing for COG and total weight in my build there are still some big compromises that will need to be made in those regards. 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Nearing the end of my first build. Electrical on drivers side rear, water tank on passenger side rear and sink on drivers side front. This was a really dumb design that added significant complexity to plumbing and uneven weight distribution. Why did I do it this was? Configuration ofr 4 precluded the ink being in the slider and I was thinking about electrical more than plumbing initially and read too much faroutride, where heavy emphasis was put on keeping electrical lines as short as possible, primarily the CCP to B2B charger and the main ground I routed back to the front of the van.

In retrospect extending electrical is going to be far more straightforward with less risk than plumbing and running the ground all the way back to the front of the van seems unnecessary. My advice keep your plumbing simple and short. Consider your weight distribution for when you're fully loaded (full H2O/people/gear etc) as well as unloaded.
Yea, my total novice take was it is better to locate water for simplicity than electric. One of the factors that steered me to DC-AC-DC was that my layout puts the batteries in the furthest location possible from the CCP. Another advantage of the electrical on the drivers side I if I ever go down the dedicated second alternator path, it simplifies and shortens that large gage dc wire run. My highest DC load (fridge) an A/C for cooking appliance will be near the batteries/inverter. Short runs are a nice benefit, but I don't really see that as a huge advantage.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
having just run 2x 3/0 cables, 1x 2/0 cable, and a bunch of smaller cables from the driver seat, through the B pillar, through driver side wall, under the floor through aluminum square tubing conduits, and to the back passenger rear wall - it really wasn't that bad. Took me a day to install. Just had to upsize the wires to account for long wire runs.
Yea, that through the B-pillar routing to the CCP is pretty slick. Not sure I am comfortable (yet?) with the possible compromise in pillar strength. (Not saying is necessarily a problem though). That spot is a highly visible area in my design that I would like to keep "clean" if possible as well a maximize the clearance. 🤷‍♀️ Decisions, decisions ...

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
If side to side weight distribution and the variation in water levels is a big concern, putting the tank between the wheel wells eliminates that issue. Depending on what water is used for then grey tanks are less of an issue but there would be ways around that if one was so inclined. But yea, it isn't a Miata , nor should it be driven like one. Jinba Ittai Funny thing is I am more concerned about COG and I plan to place the water tank and batteries on TOP of the wheel wells of my high roof van, since helps a lot with packaging. 🤦‍♂️ But at least no lift kit/big wheels, roof rack/solar panels/fixed awning/mad max lights. 30K "analysis" of my L/R weight is it should be pretty balance and can be fine tuned by where some stuff will be stored.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
That must be something new, On a early model Transit the gas tank is clearly on the drivers side with the driveshaft in the middle and the exhaust on the passenger side.
gas tank is located towards the centerline
Towards the centerline does not equal on the center line. Sorry if my statement was not clear.
Product Rectangle Font Schematic Parallel

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
BLM approved fire pit
I looked around a bit for a regulation(s) document for fire pits and only found general rules for campfires. Would you know where I might look? I'd like to see if my Volcano grill would meet the regulations (seems like it would).

That Flat Pit grill sure does look nice. If I hadn't already been gifted my Volcano a while back ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts