Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone on here added an oil cooler and/or trans cooler setup to a 3.5L ecoboost?

I know there is this thread on reducing engine temps while towing:

https://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/towing/29290-reducing-engine-temps-while-towing.html

but I am looking at attacking it from the trans and oil side as well. It will be interesting to see how it effects coolant temps. I currently use Forscan and monitor it in hot weather while climbing or towing. I have seen engine coolant temps as high as 245 F which is a bit concerning.

I am thinking about adding this transmission cooler:

https://www.mishimoto.com/heavy-duty-transmission-cooler-kit-electric-fan.html

And these parts for the oil cooler:

https://www.mishimoto.com/rear-mount-thermostatic-sandwich-plate-m-22.html

https://www.mishimoto.com/dual-pass-oil-cooler-large.html

There is exactly enough room for the oil cooler setup behind the bottom of the radiator (excuse the oil residue, the photo was post oil change, pre cleanup):

Anyone done this or something similar? Any thoughts good or bad?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Something to consider. At that location you will be using air that has been heated while passing through the AC condenser and the radiator before reaching the oil cooler.
That's a great point, I was thinking the same thing but it's got to be better than no cooler right? I would think that it couldn't possibly be hot enough to heat the oil more? I guess I won't know until I try....it would be interesting to measure ambient air temp in front of and behind the radiator/condenser combination.

The other option would be to remote mount it horizontal under the van body with a fan? But I worry about running the oil a long distance for pressure reasons?

I considered putting it in front but I would think that you wouldn't want to block flow to the radiator and a/c condenser. Plus there really doesn't appear to be much room in front.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
https://www.buildyourownracecar.com/race-car-aerodynamics-basics-and-design/2/

Keep in mind vehicle aerodynamics and areas of high pressure besides the most obvious one which is the front grill. For example, the base of the hood/windshield is a high pressure zone and why the fresh air vents are located there. Subaru puts their intercoolers on top of the engine but not in a high pressure area of the hood so they used hood scoops. Top mounted oil coolers is a possibility with the long oil line runs and need for scoops or vents. Which could be cool looking. Or not.

I'm not really suggesting you top mount the oil cooler but to point out the aerodynamics may lead you to find the best place. Under the car is mostly low pressure except near the front of the engine bay. So the location you suggest in the photo may be ideal but rather than positioning the cooler vertical, it may work fine positioned horizontal without even needing a fan.

The air passing through the grill and radiators need to exit somewhere and I suspect it exits at the back of the engine bay. You'll have to do more research and maybe experiments to figure out what the airflow in that location is. It could work.

My Dodge Caravan had a small steering fluid cooler mounted horizontally on the bottom of the van at the rear of the engine bay. It was designed for cooling in a horizontal position and it was also small. Maybe there are oil coolers for horizontal airflow too?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Anyone on here added an oil cooler and/or trans cooler setup to a 3.5L ecoboost?

I know there is this thread on reducing engine temps while towing:

https://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/towing/29290-reducing-engine-temps-while-towing.html

Anyone done this or something similar? Any thoughts good or bad?

I basically copied woodgeek with the Derale cooler, with one exception-
My P van has rear heat and air- so I plumbed the add on cooler into the lines going to the interior heater rather than the oil filter adapter lines.

The interior heater is inop that way but it is a time honored way to reduce engine temps by turning on the heater. I can do that- just the heat is released outside.

I did this install a little quickly and finished it the day before I left on a long trip out west towing a 4,000 lb travel trailer. When I get back I may clean it up a little with a valve to direct the engine coolant either to the interior heater or to the add on Derale under the van.

I too saw very concerning temps around 250F towing on 80F days on steep long climbs.
The climbs out west can easily put anything to shame in the east. Max I've seen has been 242F on Torque. So far so good!

Sitting in the campground right now near Alpine WY enjoying the cool air.:D I was so glad to leave hot humid SC behind for awhile.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
No, just above the top of the bumper on the passenger side. I always assumed it was an oil cooler but don’t know for sure. You don’t have one?
You're showing only a portion of the cooler. I assume the cooler you're looking at is pretty tiny in which case it's the power steering fluid cooler.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
You're showing only a portion of the cooler. I assume the cooler you're looking at is pretty tiny in which case it's the power steering fluid cooler.
Oddly the diesel does not have the PS cooler- I never looked on my gas Transit.
Curious to me why.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I basically copied woodgeek with the Derale cooler, with one exception-
My P van has rear heat and air- so I plumbed the add on cooler into the lines going to the interior heater rather than the oil filter adapter lines.

The interior heater is inop that way but it is a time honored way to reduce engine temps by turning on the heater. I can do that- just the heat is released outside.

I did this install a little quickly and finished it the day before I left on a long trip out west towing a 4,000 lb travel trailer. When I get back I may clean it up a little with a valve to direct the engine coolant either to the interior heater or to the add on Derale under the van.

I too saw very concerning temps around 250F towing on 80F days on steep long climbs.
The climbs out west can easily put anything to shame in the east. Max I've seen has been 242F on Torque. So far so good!

Sitting in the campground right now near Alpine WY enjoying the cool air.:D I was so glad to leave hot humid SC behind for awhile.
That's a great idea! Great to hear the Derale setup works for coolant temps! I'm interested to find out once I get my oil cooler and trans cooler installed what effect it has on the engine temps. I'll probably end up adding the Derale setup as well but i'll do those first just to see the results isolated.

Jealous! Sitting in the office about to start the day, not the same!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oddly the diesel does not have the PS cooler- I never looked on my gas Transit.
Curious to me why.
Correct that looks like the power steering cooler to me as well. The parts diagram confirms that the diesel doesn't have it...very interesting! Wonder if there wasn't room? I cant imagine the diesel steering runs cooler than the gas but maybe it has a bigger power steering pump?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Power steering pumps have been covered on TV car channels lately. The pumps are being replaced with pure hydraulic pumps, that also handle the vehicle brake system. A "two-fer". Starters are being replaced by aircraft-type starter-generators. A "two-fer". Oil pumps age going electric. I call these changes the "Boeing 787 Dreamliner effect". Go all-electric for less weight and drag.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
re Transmission cooler- I now have an interest in that- today we descended several grades of 6-10% for miles.
The transmission ran hotter than I've ever seen under load- we were in lower gears for engine braking. We weren't even towing the trailer!
When I get back home I guess that will be my next project.

Interesting side note- we went up Mt Evans in CO last friday- spotted 3 Ford pickups and a Mustang all done up in that funky camouflage they use testing new vehicles.
For those that don't know that is the highest elevation paved road in the US. Tops out at 14,XXX ft. It is the 5th highest in the entire world.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
re Transmission cooler- I now have an interest in that- today we descended several grades of 6-10% for miles.
The transmission ran hotter than I've ever seen under load- we were in lower gears for engine braking. We weren't even towing the trailer!
When I get back home I guess that will be my next project.
Yeah honestly that is easy insurance in my book. The mishimoto kit looks pretty nice for the price but there are plenty of aftermarket trans coolers available.

What kind of temps are you seeing?

·
Registered
396 Posts
With my history of Ford van transmission issues, I definitely recommend the trans cooler.

Not sure the specific trans in these vans, but if a deep pan is available I would look into that too.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts