Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Transit was ordered with the tow package and brake controller. We have the extended mirrors and tow/haul. Set up for towing a large RV. Well the RV sits and hasn't been towed by this vehicle. Borrowed a friend's trailer to move a large mower a couple of weeks ago. No trailer lights. Was in for 52,500 mile service yesterday at the dealer and asked that the system be checked. Obviously out of warranty so charged $135. Sounded reasonable. Didn't hear from them by late afternoon so I called. Has the service been performed? No, working on the tow system electrical. Obviously, not getting it back that day. Called today at noon. Have to have master electrical technician check it they say. Has the service been performed? Yes. Fine, I'll be right over. I know - dealership. I've been going there with various Fords for thirty years (two Aerostars and four F250s) except for five years with the Sprinter experiment. Come back and we'll schedule the master electrician they said. The service tech had already spent five hours. Can't imagine how that went. Anyhow I have a vehicle set up for towing but the trailer lights don't work. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
1,662 Posts
To clarify, your Transit has the OEM trailer wiring and OEM hitch, and an OEM brake controller. If so the dash should recognize when a trailer is connected. If you actuate the brake controller manually do you get a message on the dash? Have you checked fuses ?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All OEM. Fuses checked twice, once during the recall and again yesterday. There was a message "trailer not connected' - if I remember correctly. Can't confirm this as trailer is stored remotely.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Make sure your friends trailer has working electrics. It might not be your van that has an issue. Also many RV and Trailer Hitch shops have a plug-in tester that can check your vans wiring quickly. Something a Ford dealer might not have. Worth checking with an specialized shop with tester. Been there done that. Here is listing of some testers from e-trailer.com.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked the RV 7 way hook-up today. Brake controller reads 'trailer connected' and the gain worked. Checked the 4 way with an old trailer. Message reads 'trailer not connected'. Tried again with the 7 way to 4 way connector but no change. Next step is to find a circuit tester and try that. Have an appointment with the dealer's electrical master next week. Will also disconnect the receptacle from the bumper to check that connection. Expect that this is something that wasn't working from the factory.

·
Super Moderator
1,662 Posts
Have you tried an actual trailer connector tester? It plugs into the 7 and 4 pin and has LED's on it to simulate a trailer. It removes the variable of the wiring on the trailer. If the tester works, the issue is with the trailer. You mentioned testing the 4 way with an old trailer. The trailer might be faulty.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, back to the dealer yesterday. The van was there two weeks ago (see 1st post). Nothing done yesterday. called this am and was told master electrical mechanic hadn't seen it yet. Told them I had to pick up a freight package this pm so they gave me a 2020 F150 loaner. Nice. Anyway, picked up package and went home. Received a call at 3:30 that the van was ready. Picked it up and reviewed the work order. Turns out that the trailer module recall that was done last August (without my approval) was done incorrectly. Ground from module was taken to battery positive. Wow. Hard to believe these people keep their jobs. So I guess I'm good to go. Will check this w/e.

·
Super Moderator
2,420 Posts
So, back to the dealer yesterday. ...Turns out that the trailer module recall that was done last August (without my approval) was done incorrectly. Ground from module was taken to battery positive. Wow. Hard to believe these people keep their jobs.
Thanks for updating with the solution. Kudos to the dealer for being persistent enough to discover their lackey's error. Hopefully the service mgr will note the employee''s file, this is likely not the only blunder on them.

Years ago a GMC dealer had me trying to train a new guy to apply our product, and he just didn't get it. Then one day I witnessed him wedge a just delivered truck in the door of a bay at an angle with everyone running and screaming for him to stop as he continued to go forward and backward making it much worse. A week later looking at the bay being repaired I asked where the guy was.They said, oh, he's not here any more. Maybe he now works at your dealer! o_O

1 - 9 of 9 Posts