Ford Transit USA Forum banner

OEM Brake controller has gone flaky?

1306 4
Trailer brakes quit working, not sure exactly when. Wife uses horse trailer she was "pretty sure" it was working a week ago but when I used the the trailer the other night, checked trailer brakes in the driveway and nada. This is a full factory (not dealer) installed trailer set up on a 2016 150 wagon.

Did the usual, read all bazillion posts in the great trailer wiring thread (thanks to all the pioneers) which enlightened me enough to; find all the components, sus basic operation and do some troubleshooting. Think I have narrowed it down to the OEM dash controller module.
With brake pressed I am getting from no to intermediate to full brakes by sliding, wiggling working the manual handle (quite a bit) With the module unplugged, jumpering red to blue on the connector applies full power.
I am using a headlight bulb on a pigtail plugged into the 7 pin connector on the rear bumper so I can "see" operation under load. Also have a smaller bulb on the tail light pin so the ECM "sees" a trailer hooked up. Figure that 60 watt headlight bulb should be enough load to simulate the brake coils.
Spent the better part of today chasing, figgerin' and trying to narrow it down. The footwell module "appears" new, doesn't look like any water has ever been near it. Did the usual plug unplug connectors looking for corrosion. Ended up at the dash module.

The only anomaly I can report is that last week the breakaway switch was activated when my wife drove off with the lanyard still looped over the hitch ball. Something she didn't mention til the following day. Couldn't find an exact replacement pull out pin so made one. Charged the trailer battery, all seemed well. Then about 5 miles from home the trailer brakes "self applied". Found the pin not seated reseated it and completed the trip with no trailer brakes. Enough of that, went and bought a replacement breakaway unit and installed it. Checked trailer brakes using a 12 volt battery on the trailer plug with a wheel spinning while jacked off the ground, all good.

So anyone else had the dash module get squirrelly, fail?
THe 30 amp and 15 amp trailer brake fuses "look good" didn't attempt to remove the 30 amp jcase fuse, but the link is visible in the window and the test load headlight powers up by the controller feed.
Vendors are looking for $120 for the CK4Z-2C006-A module.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Honest to God I want the time back that I spent reading your post. I got to the point where you DIY'd a janked up fix under the guise of the bullshit post headline of: "OEM xyz..." There's nothing OEM about your whittled "... so made one." pull-out pin. Your wife fkd up the works and your inquiry about the dash module was in the very last paragraph of the short story of how you spent your summer vacation~ You did notice that exactly noone posted a response in two years, right?

·
Premium Member
2016 150 mid roof wagon 3.5 eco 3.31 posi
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You are welcome SmokeCage, thanks for posting such a pleasant reply.
I should have revisted the thread after the replacement proved the diagnosis.
Better late than never?
The second and third paragraphs supplied a means to test if the bypassing the dash control module allowed the brakes to work. Even for slow readers that seems soon enough. Perhaps in your hurry to read the FULL juicy tale you missed that? The rest of the story was giving full details, and the trail leading me to the controller, along with "perhaps" a reason for the controller failing, shrug.
There were two parts to the story; as mentioned the break away brake unit was damaged, a temp test piece allowed confirming the break away was no longer the problem. AND I then replaced the break away with a new one. But still no brakes, the module lever and "I'll assume a wire wound resistance" sliding switch had become VERY intermittent.
My wire/pin jumping wasn't a fix, it was troubleshooting. Bypassing the module applied the brakes, ipso facto; the module/ rheostat was most likely the issue.
Grabbed one from fleaBay, exchanged, all good since with wife hauling horses frequently.. I hauled a 3500 pound milling machine home in the horse trailer last week, worked perfectly.
Since you are here you are experiencing brake issues, you have a road map to some tests techniques to isolate if it's the control module. I found several ford model numbers that were very close that allowed me to extend my search and find a plug and play factory module at a reasonable price, that cured my issues. The fog of time has obscured the exact number I found/used.
Wait for it.....
my excellent email archiving allowed me to recover the info from the one I bought, JUST FOR YOU.
I did find the exact part number Ford Trailer Brake Control CK4Z-2C006-A Paid $106 delivered, at that time.
Now go fix yourself. ;^)

·
Premium Member
2016 150 mid roof wagon 3.5 eco 3.31 posi
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll add that using a good old sealed beam headlight as a proxy for the trailer brakes is sheer brilliance, see what i did there? with it sitting where you can see it from up front it 's great visualization of the circuit function while supplying enough load to hightlight any weak points in the circuit that a tiny load might not disclose. .I'm the king of use what I got, inexpensive, testing/troubleshooting. Like most of us, I work alone. The wife always wanders away before the tests are complete.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders - SOLD
2,663 Posts
Honest to God I want the time back that I spent reading your post.
Hello @SmokeCage,

I would invite you to post an Intro about yourself in the Introductions forum located at Introductions

So far your first impressions haven't been great. A post in the Introductions area might be a way to redeem yourself. Think before you post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.