Ford Transit USA Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Agreed. From the outside looking in, it seems quite strange that Ford doesn't make more parts compatible across the F series trucks and the Transit. This lug pattern is particularly confusing. I just don't understand why they went to such an unusual pattern. Those wheels by Ultra Wheel Company are the only ones that I could find that look even remotely close to correct.

Oddly enough, the 2020 Transit that we have on order (T350 LWB HR EB) from Eddie (CrewVanMan) is not an AWD van, but it still has the heavy duty front axle, which includes the 6-lug heavy duty wheels. I'm not actually sure which option/combo that we selected forced us to have the HD front axle and accompanying wheels. Eddie seemed to think that it was the combination of EcoBoost and T350.
Transits and F series trucks grew up on different continents, with very different use cases and starting points. The early Transits were metric, car-based, uni-bodies. Over the decades they have started to use common parts but Ford has a long way to go before they have rationalized their van and truch part bins to a sensible level. I pine for the day when the Blue Oval builds a Transit Raptor or makes it feasible for someone else to build one.

·
Registered
2020 Cargo T-350 LWB HR EB on order...
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Transits and F series trucks grew up on different continents
Good point. I hadn't thought of that. It's hard to wrap my head around a company being so large that its left hand is metric and its right hand is english.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
A lot of the components for the Ford Transit are based overseas and nothing is really common between it and the F-150 truck that is made in the same adjoining plant. Would be nice to have more common parts between the 2 vehicles.

Just think of ALL of the different wheels you could select from as well as going from the 10 exterior colors to the 14 offered on the F-150.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Good point. I hadn't thought of that. It's hard to wrap my head around a company being so large that its left hand is metric and its right hand is english.
Lol, England has been metric for decades. Its so ironic that the only place using the "British Imperial System" is the US

·
Registered
194 Posts
A lot of the components for the Ford Transit are based overseas and nothing is really common between it and the F-150 truck that is made in the same adjoining plant. Would be nice to have more common parts between the 2 vehicles.

Just think of ALL of the different wheels you could select from as well as going from the 10 exterior colors to the 14 offered on the F-150.
For sure. It seems even more crazy that Ford refused to bring the Transit - which is easily the World's most successful commercial vehicle - to the US, until MB forced their hand with the Sprinter. They should have been sharing parts for 50 years by now.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
According to his comment on his YouTube, Chris Polvoorde's AWD Transit has the Ultra Wheel Hunter Van Dually (see my very first post in this thread). His van was built by Outside Van. He doesn't say how much of a lift was added to his van, but he says that he's running 275/75 R16 tires (32.24 in diameter) on the Hunter Van Dually wheels. Those seem quite large, so I wonder if he made a typo and actually has the standard 245/75 R16.

In another thread, @Cooper says that he tried these wheels and that they interfere with the brake calipers. These wheels are only 6.0 in wide compared to the OEM wheels that are 6.5 in wide.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Emialed Waldoch asking about these wheels and got this reply:

"We will have those on our website soon, they are not for sale yet. only Prototype Wheels. We will have testing done by july we are a little behind from some virus."

41 - 51 of 51 Posts