Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Just talked to Wheel Pros, a major distributor of aftermarket wheels all over the USA and they do not show any available wheels for the 2020 Transit AWD model and are NOT going to be offering any in their NEW 2020 catalogue.

·
Super Moderator
1,343 Posts
Just talked to Wheel Pros, a major distributor of aftermarket wheels all over the USA and they do not show any available wheels for the 2020 Transit AWD model and are NOT going to be offering any in their NEW 2020 catalogue.
I'm not surprised. Any new products in the 2020 catalogue will have been under development 8-14 months ago. You need to time to measure, design, prototype, test, manufacture, distribute, advertise, etc. Given that the 2020's are just now hitting the dealer lots it's no surprise that some wheel company doesn't yet have wheels for it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Looks like this is the forged aluminum wheel. It looks a little different from the pics in my order guide, I suppose it's just missing some kind of hub cap.

source:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Crap, I appear to have fallen in love with yet another vehicle where owning a separate, dedicated set of snow tires/wheels is ridiculously expensive, due to the wheel portion of the price.

I was hoping there would be cheap(ish) steelies available.

Maybe something will change by next fall......

·
Super Moderator
1,343 Posts
I was hoping there would be cheap(ish) steelies available.
Don't worry, there will be. There are a lot of people who will get their new 2020 Transit AWD's and as soon as an aftermarket wheel is available they will buy them with larger tires, and the OEM ones will be for sale on here and/or eBay.

A lot of the Class B converters will be ordering the Cab chassis and then putting Hunter or CWS wheels on, and the steel takeoffs will also be on eBay.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looks like this is the forged aluminum wheel. It looks a little different from the pics in my order guide, I suppose it's just missing some kind of hub cap.

source:

Are there no center caps on the forged aluminum wheels or do they use the same ones as the standard AWD wheels? Would they be swapable?

I would be satisfied (for now) if I could find a different center cap in black and then painting/powder/plastidip standard wheels.

Anyone have any ideas on where to find a 6x180 center cap? The google hasn’t led me anywhere good yet

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Are there no center caps on the forged aluminum wheels or do they use the same ones as the standard AWD wheels?
If you look at the 2020 Transit build-your-own page on Ford’s website, the image now updates with the correct wheels when you add AWD. Steel wheels are standard. Forged aluminum wheels are optional.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
That dealer left off the center caps for the Forged Aluminum wheel. You should be able to get the lugs nuts for the Aluminum wheel and then order the cap for that wheel so it would clip over the lug nuts. Not sure that the lug nuts for the Argent Steel wheel has the correct lug nuts to hold the chrome center cap from the Forged Aluminum wheel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please check my logic as I'm considering the Ultra Hunter option for the 2020 AWD I have on order. Given that wheel is 6" wide it would be prudent to replace the 235 tire with a 225. My back of the envelope calculation indicates (in theory) I'd gain 1.8 mm between the tire and frame and lose the same amount between the tire and fender. Sure seems like that wouldn't pose any issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please check my logic as I'm considering the Ultra Hunter option for the 2020 AWD I have on order. Given that wheel is 6" wide it would be prudent to replace the 235 tire with a 225. My back of the envelope calculation indicates (in theory) I'd gain 1.8 mm between the tire and frame and lose the same amount between the tire and fender. Sure seems like that wouldn't pose any issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Could you share the details of your logic? Did you account for the difference in offset?
Yes and no. Yes in that I did account for offset, no in that I did it wrong... The logic is as follows:

1. The difference in offset moves the wheel to the outside by 116.8 - 110 = 6.8 mm
2. The difference in tire increases the gap on either side of the tire by (235 - 225)/2 = 5 mm
3. The new gap on the inside of the tire is then 6.8 + 5 = 11.8 mm
4. The new gap on the outside of the tires is then 6.8 - 5 = 1.8 mm

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Yes and no. Yes in that I did account for offset, no in that I did it wrong... The logic is as follows:

1. The difference in offset moves the wheel to the outside by 116.8 - 110 = 6.8 mm
2. The difference in tire increases the gap on either side of the tire by (235 - 225)/2 = 5 mm
3. The new gap on the inside of the tire is then 6.8 + 5 = 11.8 mm
4. The new gap on the outside of the tires is then 6.8 - 5 = 1.8 mm
Thanks! That makes sense to me.

·
Registered
608 Posts
205/75x16. Another common size with plenty of load E options (eye roll). Come on Ford. Just come out with 245/75x16 capability...at least. at least on 250’s & SRW 350’s. The government isn’t going to come down on you.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Most Transit buyers are replacing the original tires with other tread patterns and sizes once they get their Transit or when they get close to the 40,000 mile range when the original tires have been worn down to their limits.

I replaced my tires at the 50,000 range with the Michelin 245/75-16 LTX Load range E tire. They fill out the wheel well a lot better with a slight rub at full lockdown turning. They work well especially if you do a lot of highway driving with a smooth and quiet ride.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts