Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Cargo T-350 LWB HR EB on order...
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone found aftermarket wheels that are compatible with the OEM 6-lug, 6 x 180-mm wheels? I found these from Ultra Wheel Company, but I'm not sure if the wheel width (6 in) and offset match that of the OEM wheels. I would be purchasing four of the front-wheel variant.
Ultra Wheel Company Hunter Van Dually

I just recently placed an order through Ed (CrewVanMan) for a 2020 Transit (LWB HR T350 SRW 2WD), and I was required to get the heavy duty front axle. As such, I will have the 6 lug, 6 x 180-mm wheels on all four corners. I understand that all of the AWD vans will have these same wheels. As far as I can tell, it's the same wheel that comes on the front axle for the DRW van. I am having the QuadVan 4x4 conversion added to my 2020 Transit, and I would like to upgrade the wheels and tires in the process. If aftermarket wheels are not an option, I plan to have QuadVan refinish the OEM steel wheels.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
1,801 Posts
I would be really surprised if the front wheels were the same on the SRW and the DRW. The DRW versions use wheels with a significantly higher offset so that they can be mounted back to back on the rear and be far enough apart not to touch. Usually the front axle on a DRW is wider to accommodate the negative offset of the dually wheel. The bolt pattern and circle may be the same, but the offset will be much different between a SRW van and a DRW van.

If FORD is using a new bolt pattern and circle for that model, then there won't be much available from the aftermarket at first.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Based on the images on the Ford website and in the 2020 Transit Order Guide, it appears to me the the front and rear wheels on the AWD SRW van are the same as the front wheels on the DRW. Granted, it's difficult to tell from a photo if the offset is exactly the same, but there appears to be negative offset.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
From the information I got from the various aftermarket wheel manufactures at the 2019 SEMA Show, they were stating that they would not have the correct wheels available for the AWD Transit. The bolt pattern would not be the problem but the offset would be different from the DRW front wheel.

I would not get any wheels until you have the correct offset for the Transit AWD and can compare it to the available aftermarket wheels.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
1,801 Posts
Based on the images on the Ford website and in the 2020 Transit Order Guide, it appears to me the the front and rear wheels on the AWD SRW van are the same as the front wheels on the DRW. Granted, it's difficult to tell from a photo if the offset is exactly the same, but there appears to be negative offset.
Those images were probably used when that document was first in draft mode probably several months ago.

I'd wager that since it is a new bolt pattern and offset that they didn't have an actual wheel yet to photograph. It's probably the same style, but with the more realistic offset of the other wheels. Maybe something along the lines of this from an F-350. Yes, I know this is an 8 bolt, not 6 bolt but the overall size is similar.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The wheels on the 2020 AWD Transit this video appear to be the same as the ones shown on the Ford website.

Twice, I have tried contacting Ultra Wheel Company about their Hunter Van Dually wheels (putting the front dually wheels on the front and rear of the AWD Transit), but they haven't responded to either of my attempts.

Has anyone found the specs for the stock, 6-lug wheels on the 2020 AWD Transit?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I find it comical that they keep upping the size of the bolt circle. 5x160 was already huge for a van. Then they came up with 6x180. Couldn't they use 5x135 parts like a F-150?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I find it comical that they keep upping the size of the bolt circle. 5x160 was already huge for a van. Then they came up with 6x180. Couldn't they use 5x135 parts like a F-150?
Agreed. From the outside looking in, it seems quite strange that Ford doesn't make more parts compatible across the F series trucks and the Transit. This lug pattern is particularly confusing. I just don't understand why they went to such an unusual pattern. Those wheels by Ultra Wheel Company are the only ones that I could find that look even remotely close to correct.

Oddly enough, the 2020 Transit that we have on order (T350 LWB HR EB) from Eddie (CrewVanMan) is not an AWD van, but it still has the heavy duty front axle, which includes the 6-lug heavy duty wheels. I'm not actually sure which option/combo that we selected forced us to have the HD front axle and accompanying wheels. Eddie seemed to think that it was the combination of EcoBoost and T350.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Got the information on the bolt pattern and specifications.
Bolt Pattern 6 X 180mm
Offset 116.8mm
Center bore 139mm

Now we can start looking for any wheels that are a fit for the AWD Transit.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Bolt Pattern 6 X 180mm
Offset 116.8mm
Center bore 139mm

Now we can start looking for any wheels that are a fit for the AWD Transit.
That is the same as the DRW wheel on the 350HD

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
From a design/fabrication viewpoint it makes sense to design around universal parts. It would be GREAT if Ford made the Transit and F series pickups to share wheels, rotors, calipers etc. That would greatly cut down on the production cost. Maybe the components would be overkill on some of the lighter models, but so what?

I wonder if FoMoCo purposely makes Transit rims a different bolt circle from the pickups so that dealership parts replacers (disservice centers) won't mix them up? Having a different offset is probably the biggest hazzard, there isn't much room for error on the Transit front end. The inner sidewall is pretty **** close to the strut with the OEM tires.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Great, Eddie! Thanks so much!!! Where were you able to track down this info? Would you confirm that they are 16 in x 6 in?

Here are the specs for the Ultra Wheel - Hunter Van Dually (front):
size - 16 in x 6 in (EDIT: compared to 16 in x 6.5 in)
lug pattern - 6 x 180 mm (same)
offset - 110 mm (compared to 116.8 mm)
bore - 138.8 mm (compared to 139 mm)

(EDIT: The stock wheels are 6.5 in wide instead of 6.0 in wide, so my logic below no longer holds. At the time, I had mistakenly assumed that they were the same width.)
Given that the Hunter Van Dually has slightly less, positive offset, it seems to me that these wheels will fit, but the wheel will extend 6.8 mm farther out of the wheel well. If I understand correctly, this would be equivalent to adding a 6.8-mm spacer to the OEM wheels. This would give an additional 6.8-mm clearance with the strut on the inner face of the wheel. I assume that 7 mm isn't a big deal, but I'm certainly not an expert.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
The guys in the Ford Transit Brand Group did not have any answers so I went to a Engineer at the Transit plant and got the information. Good to be at Matt Ford and have those kind of guys walk into your place for service.

The standard AWD 6 lug wheel is a 16" X 6.5" width, Argent painted with 6 lug center cap. Retail price for the wheel is $502 EACH!! It is the only spare for the AWD whether you order the Forged Aluminum wheels or just get the standard Argent one.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is the first pic I've seen of the AWD wheels. Which of the two options is it? I'd like to see the other one so I can compare. I'm guessing it's the standard option, and that the forged wheel is chrome plated (I hate chrome wheels)

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
1,801 Posts
This is the first pic I've seen of the AWD wheels. Which of the two options is it? I'd like to see the other one so I can compare. I'm guessing it's the standard option, and that the forged wheel is chrome plated (I hate chrome wheels)
I have the forged wheels on my 2018 DRW and they are polished aluminum, not chrome.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the forged wheels on my 2018 DRW and they are polished aluminum, not chrome.
Are your wheels 6-in or 6.5-in wide? It's my understanding that the wheels on previous DRW Transits are 6-in wide. It seems odd that Ford would switch to a new wheel for the AWD Transit.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts