Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next week, I am traveling from NJ to NH. The navigation system suggests routes that include NY parkways. My transit is a 150 MR 148 cargo. It is not registered commercial. Am I allowed on NY parkways? I searched here and also via Google but the results are inconclusive. Even the NY DMV site is vague on this issue.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not an answer but some bridges on the parkway system have posted vertical clearances as low as 6’11”. This link maybe of interest...

https://www1.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/trucks_nycarea_parkways.pdf
Yes, I saw that one... thanks. A few years ago, I pulled a toy hauler home from up north and followed the navigation system. I was not paying attention and wound-up with a $100 ticket on a four lane parkway. Believe me when I tell you it is difficult to avoid these roads in certain sections of NY.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Another reason I'm so happy to live on the Best Coast.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
natural disasters are natural.
we get earthquakes, midwest gets tornados, beast coast gets hurricanes, we all get unprecedented weather events now.

Man-made impediments such as 7' clearance overpasses because the infrastructure is made for a time and use long since gone is avoidable. Most of the infrastructure on the best coast was built after WW2 and even more so in the last 30 years, so it's capable of modern uses and needs.

Not really a debate about best vs beast coast; rapper style, but a debate about infrastructure and development. A lot of stuff needs to be leveled and built over again because it just doesn't work the way we need it to anymore, yet that creates a whole domino effect in heavily urbanized/suburbanized areas, and you'd end up having to tear down nearly everything as well as some residences and other personal property to do it "right".

Or maybe Elon Musk and his Boring Company will save us, as will HyperLoop.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
... A few years ago, I pulled a toy hauler home from up north and followed the navigation system. I was not paying attention and wound-up with a $100 ticket on a four lane parkway. Believe me when I tell you it is difficult to avoid these roads in certain sections of NY.
A couple years ago I was just following the Transit's navigation system and it led me into those NYC parkways. Luckily I spotted a low clearance warning sign (I have a high roof Transit) and was able to get turned around at a highway maintenance depot.

Wouldn't it be nice if the Transit's navigation system would keep us out of places that don't fit/allow our vans.

Cheers.

·
Registered
179 Posts
When traveling I always right down the hwy's I want to use. My gps will reset it when I go where I want it to do. To answer your question you should be fine on the parkway.
I would go 287 N then over the tappan zee bridge. 684N - 84E to mass pike (90)- then where ever from there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You should be fine on the Bronx River in NYC, Saw Mill and Taconic Parkways. The really low parkway bridges are on Long Island (purposely built that way for both aesthetics and to keep commercial traffic/buses from using the parkways). If you have non-commercial plates and side windows (even the little port holes) you will be okay.

///

Vans (Part 106.3 (d))
You can register it in the 'Passenger' class if the van has

at least one side window behind the driver, and
at least one seat or set of seat fittings that is installed behind the driver, or
camping equipment that is installed behind the driver.
'camping equipment' indicates that you have a permanent bed, a permanent stove, or a permanent refrigerator in the vehicle
if you install seats behind the driver, you must also install seatbelts that meet NY State Occupant Restraint Law requirements

NOTE: These modifications must be permanent. If you use a van or pick-up truck without the required modifications, then you must register it in the 'Commercial' registration class.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can you clarify what "parkway" laws your describing, what to look our for other than a height limit sign 8'6" (MR) This West Coast guy planning trip to east coast via NYC & Niagara Falls. Thanks

·
Registered
425 Posts
Don't use the parkways if your passenger has been removed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The clearances are the only issue and I've driven most of that Parkway with an 11' vehicle a number of times. If you don't have a commercial plate, you won't have a problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You won't have a problem legally as a passenger vehicle but you will have to watch clearances. As others have said, some of the bridges are 7'6" or less. When I want to go somewhere on NYS parkways I virtually drive it using Google Street View before I go. It saved me some embarrassment on Long Island last time I want out there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I grew up on Long Island and way back then the parkway was an old scenic freeway. The bridge underpasses are arched and if you vehicle is tall you better drive through dead center in the middle. The arches cut into clearance on both lanes. This is why vans are banned, as is all commercial traffic.
DougB

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The clearances are the only issue and I've driven most of that Parkway with an 11' vehicle a number of times. If you don't have a commercial plate, you won't have a problem.
I don't have commercial plates BUT I also do not have any windows behind me. Will that matter?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can you clarify what "parkway" laws your describing, what to look our for other than a height limit sign 8'6" (MR) This West Coast guy planning trip to east coast via NYC & Niagara Falls. Thanks
Wiki has a pretty good source of info about the various NYS parkways. For the most part, parkways do not allow commercial vehicles. You see privately owned full size pickups, vans, mini "cut away" van school buses etc. As long as the vehicle isn't screaming "commercial" (ie: "Joe's Plumbing" graphics on the side, ladder racks etc.) you should not have any problems.

(cut 'n paste, can't post links yet)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkways_in_New_York

·
Registered
142 Posts
You should be fine on the Bronx River in NYC, Saw Mill and Taconic Parkways. The really low parkway bridges are on Long Island (purposely built that way for both aesthetics and to keep commercial traffic/buses from using the parkways). If you have non-commercial plates and side windows (even the little port holes) you will be okay.

///

Vans (Part 106.3 (d))
You can register it in the 'Passenger' class if the van has

at least one side window behind the driver, and
at least one seat or set of seat fittings that is installed behind the driver, or
camping equipment that is installed behind the driver.
'camping equipment' indicates that you have a permanent bed, a permanent stove, or a permanent refrigerator in the vehicle
if you install seats behind the driver, you must also install seatbelts that meet NY State Occupant Restraint Law requirements

NOTE: These modifications must be permanent. If you use a van or pick-up truck without the required modifications, then you must register it in the 'Commercial' registration class.
You won't have a problem legally as a passenger vehicle but you will have to watch clearances. As others have said, some of the bridges are 7'6" or less. When I want to go somewhere on NYS parkways I virtually drive it using Google Street View before I go. It saved me some embarrassment on Long Island last time I want out there.
Next week, I am traveling from NJ to NH. The navigation system suggests routes that include NY parkways. My transit is a 150 MR 148 cargo. It is not registered commercial. Am I allowed on NY parkways? I searched here and also via Google but the results are inconclusive. Even the NY DMV site is vague on this issue.

You will be traveling on the parkways I grew up around.

Anyone who said YES, you can drive on these parkways are not informed.

NO - You can not!

To legally drive on these roads, you need both rear and side windows
You need to be under a specific weight (5,500 lbs GVWR)
You need to have passenger seats

RV's are NOT allowed.
3/4 Ton and larger Pick Up trucks are NOT allowed
Super Stretch Limos are NOT allowed.

Ask me how I know. I'll gladly let you pay for the tickets I have accumulated over the years here.

Also, while all the Parkways in NY are under the same regulations, they police them differently above I-84 and below. What you can get away with in lower Westchester County and on LI, you will be pulled over for in Dutchess and Columbia Counties.

An alternative is to either take Rt 22 or go up through Connecticut. While they too have the Merit Parkway, they are not nearly as aggressive as restricting traffic on it like NY is.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, wow. I appreciate the intel from a local source. On last week's trip to New Hampshire, I had to override my navigation system because it kept putting me on NY parkways.

NO - You can not!

RV's are NOT allowed.

Ask me how I know. I'll gladly let you pay for the tickets I have accumulated over the years here.

Also, while all the Parkways in NY are under the same regulations, they police them differently above I-84 and below. What you can get away with in lower Westchester County and on LI, you will be pulled over for in Dutchess and Columbia Counties.

An alternative is to either take Rt 22 or go up through Connecticut. While they too have the Merit Parkway, they are not nearly as aggressive as restricting traffic on it like NY is.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts

NO - You can not!

RV's are NOT allowed.

I'm assuming everything you said is posted at the entrances of the parkways?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts