• You didn't do enough to help!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ford Transit 350 Extended High Roof
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently organized a tour of North America to pick up all the components to build out my Ford 350HD into a video production and podcasting studio and home on wheels that I plan to drive from Alaska to Argentina, then Africa, Europe to Asia. I am currently over a month into this tour and have put out a lot of videos on the process.

Here is a map of the journey Vanlife Tour - Official JaYoe website.

I met with the owners and crews at all these shops, and learned a lot along the way, and started to build up my system too. Here is a list of the things I have/will cover in my journey:

• Victron Energy – 48V power system, switches, inverter charger, BMS, Distributor, Shunt etc...
  • Wakespeed – Wakespeed 3000 DC control component
  • Backwoods Adventure Mods – Bumpers, Rack, Ladder, Winch, Pathfinder Lights
  • Wilson Amplifiers – WeBoost Fleet Series Booster
  • Lizard Skin – Sound Deadener / Ceramic Barrier
  • Nations Alternator – 48V alternator
  • Cruise and Comfort – 48V DC Air Conditioner
  • Van Windows Direct - Windows for the van
  • Agile Offroad – Lift kit and Suspension
  • BF Goodrich – K02 tires
  • Method Rims – Series 901 Rims
  • ZAMP Solar – 48V high Powered Solar System
  • Rixens Enterprise – Hydronic Heating System
  • Eberspaecher - Hydronic Furnace
  • Just Roaming – Floor, Victron Install and Support
  • Dometic – Dometic CRX 110S and 9500 Power Patio Case Awning
  • AutoVOX – V5 LCD Rearview Mirror
  • The Swivel Shop – Drivers side and Passenger side Scopema Swivels
  • Bluetti - EB70

I am going to use this thread to feature each video in the series. If you are interested, you can follow along and comment. I hope some of you can learn a bit or see some of the behind the scenes views of the companies a lot of us have bought from in the past.

I wont try to bog you down too much, just post a video a day until we are all caught up. Let me know what you guys think and follow the thread for future posting. the first video is the first day I started the tour, as I left Detroit with my fresh van driving to my first stop, Backwoods Adventure Mods in Springfield, Arkansas. I had a run in with a Coyote I rescued on the side of the road.

Hope you enjoy! Catch up with you tomorrow!

·
Registered
Transit-addict-in-the-making
101 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to do the videos and to share your passion and journey with the community. Doubtless there will be something of interest to many of us in the videos.

At first blush, one thing stood out to my eye: a 48V alternator. Is the design goal to run 12V for the chassis system, and 48V for the house/couch system? Curious how that'll work out.

·
Registered
2022 Cargo Extended HR AWD EcoBoost W3U
49 Posts
I have been watching them on Youtube! Great stuff so far!

Reactions: JaYoe Matt

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for taking the time to do the videos and to share your passion and journey with the community. Doubtless there will be something of interest to many of us in the videos.

At first blush, one thing stood out to my eye: a 48V alternator. Is the design goal to run 12V for the chassis system, and 48V for the house/couch system? Curious how that'll work out.
I am working on the Alternator install video today. It's a new alternator just produced by Nations. Its pretty powerful.. It was bench tested producing 7kw... so they had to govern it down to 5kw!
Auto part Machine Electronic device Electrical wiring Electronic component

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am working on the Alternator install video today. It's a new alternator just produced by Nations. Its pretty powerful.. It was bench tested producing 7kw... so they had to govern it down to 5kw! View attachment 167361

Love the videos! Have you noticed higher output at lower RPMs? We're needing higher output while idling and a lot of the alternator alternatives we've found don't provide a higher output at low RPMs. Does there happen to be a graph available showing output relative to RPM?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Love the videos! Have you noticed higher output at lower RPMs? We're needing higher output while idling and a lot of the alternator alternatives we've found don't provide a higher output at low RPMs. Does there happen to be a graph available showing output relative to RPM?
I was told that it will not need a high idle... but i wont know for sure until the unit is under load. I have not hooked up the house system until the cabinetry to house them is done.... when it is ill be able to tell you more.

·
Registered
Transit-addict-in-the-making
101 Posts
I am working on the Alternator install video today. It's a new alternator just produced by Nations. Its pretty powerful.. It was bench tested producing 7kw... so they had to govern it down to 5kw!
That's one spicy meatball alternator! :eek: I'm a newb, so this is a Newb Question: will the 48V system use the chassis as the ground path? Or will you end up having to have a wholly separate 48V ground for all the 48V gear?

Looking forward to learning vicariously through you <GRIN>

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's one spicy meatball alternator! :eek: I'm a newb, so this is a Newb Question: will the 48V system use the chassis as the ground path? Or will you end up having to have a wholly separate 48V ground for all the 48V gear?

Looking forward to learning vicariously through you <GRIN>
Im pretty sure that the ground is just a common chassis mount. there is a dedicated post on the alternator itself though. Here is the video i shot of it
There was not a lot of the actual install... it was a tight space. but we really just mounted it first. the connections will be made when we integrate the electrical components in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts