Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed hoses to my header drains and removed the TURD. I bought 2 catch cans that came with two 2 foot 3/8ish ID hoses that was not good for the can system, so I repurposed them for the header drains. I installed a 1/2 piece of aluminum tube as an insert, a piece of screen on the end, and shoved them home. The drivers side drain gutter wouldn't stay up after, so I shot a rivet to secure it. I also routed that hose thru the inner fender thru a Ford installed plug above the front tire. I'd like to route the PAX side also, but can't reach the inner fender hole with the airbox in the way and am too lazy to remove it just for that right now.

0118201028.jpg
0118201110_Burst01.jpg
0118201113.jpg
0118201121a.jpg
0118201134.jpg

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
That's a great execution, I need to get around to adding some hoses like everyone else so the water doesn't run through the body cavities the way Ford wants it to. However, the hose alone doesn't stop water from getting in the engine compartment. Besides plugged drain holes and overflow, the crappy windshield to body design allows water to go behind or around the plastic gutters as it runs down the windshield when it's parked. Add the hoses, but keep the TURD.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just went through this last week, not Nearly as clean of an install as yourself though. Nice work there. Anyway, in testing I found that the tray that collects the water leaks at the junction with the "corner" pieces (the one that comes off with the 2 fasteners from the top), so I sealed those. Then I found that it leaks Behind that tray just like Bill mentioned and couldn't think of a good way to seal ALL of those leaks in a way that wouldn't be a PITA to deal with later. In the end, I decided to leave my TURDs to deal with the leaky overflow.

·
Registered
713 Posts
People unfamiliar with the history of this forum may be perplexed by the terminology.

That said, seems obvious Ford should be including an engine cover and upgraded drainage on the van, as soon as possible.

Assuming it’s really a problem, since I have never looked!

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
For newbs:
Ford redesigned the upside-down air filter housing so that water no longer collects at the joint and gets sucked into the airbox, soaking and disintegrating the paper filter into the engine intake. The NEW airbox has the top section overlapping the bottom; opposite of the original genius design. I believe that happened in mid 2019. However, water still runs down the windshield and in to to engine compartment to drip on the airbox, and wiring harness at the firewall on the other side. Some people report water sitting on top of the engine and filling bolt wells and other crevices, which can lead to rusted bolts and parts.

Please refer to Air Filter Nightmare thread and read all 200+ pages.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I reinstalled the TURD and also made a driver's side shield out of a piece of inner tube that lays over the connectors and ECM.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
You know you are:

·
Super Moderator
1,662 Posts
For newbs:
Ford redesigned the upside-down air filter housing so that water no longer collects at the joint and gets sucked into the airbox,....<snip>...I believe that happened in mid 2019.
I think it was a bit earlier than that. I've got a 2018 built in July and it has the new air box design.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts