Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Pretty common stuff,, Forklifts, Submarines and Residential/Commercial solar power all use big batteries. For 150 years AT&T/Bell Telephone ran on batteries 24 hours a day/365 Days a year.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it was a nice size , like big enough but not too big , 75 amp charger would go nice with it .
I didn't know that about the phone companies , interesting

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Phone company batteries ended with Fiber optics I think, 10 Years ago AT&T sold off all of the copper wire infrastructure and the battery system with it I believe. The phone company based their phone systems on batteries because commercial power was not available everywhere until recent times.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
150 amp hours
....cut....
I like that they can be installed in 4 parallel strings and also 4 batteries in series, for up to 16. That’s a maximum of 29 usable kWh at a price of $22.000. :eek:

About 1/4 of that may not be too bad compared to other options like diesel generators in small RVs. Still too pricey for me at well over $700 per kWh. Getting close to being able to justify larger systems though.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bigger version is what I have, version 1, cheaper per ah with the 300ah. I'm loving it so far.

https://www.altestore.com/store/deep-cycle-batteries/lithium-batteries/kilovault-lithium-solar-battery-p41011/#KLV3600HLX-V2
Do the handles on the battery case prevent you from being able to sit the battery on it's end side?
Example : I want to sit the battery in a upright position kinda like a tower , it looks like the battery case has plastic sticking out on each end for rope handles to go through , I'm thinking that the plastic that sticks out won't let the battery sit flat.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Now this is interesting from the website.......

What is the best operating and storage temperature for the KiloVault?
The optimal temperature range overall is 59 – 95°F (15 – 35°C). Full operating temperatures must be greater than 32°F (O°C) and less than 133°F (45°C). Charging the battery below 32°F (0°C) will potentially damage it.

So in a camper van that lives in the Arizona desert I get over 133 interior temps alot....of course I am planning my build to have some type of vent fan to at least keep me at ambient but that can be 115 no problem

If someone lives in cold areas the solar panel could try to charge a battery when it is below freezing inside the vehicle and result in damage. Is this something I have been missing in reading about other Lithium batteries, never thought about it with my AGM setups

·
Registered
71 Posts
The ends of the kilovault do include the ropes and additional plastic used to lift it, but it's nothing that you can't shim if you want to stand it on end, you'd have to brace it heavily regardless.

I don't see this battery fitting under the seat, it's substantial. 20.5in x 10.6in x 8.7in

The battery has a built-in BMS that will shut off charging if it gets too cold or too hot, mine has stopped charging many times in the winter, there's a bluetooth dongle that talks to a kilovault app on my phone that shows what's going on. The website doesn't mention the bluetooth or app, at least that I could find, I was pleasantly surprised to discover it, it's very nice to have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts