Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I could do with abit of help I'm thinking of changing the oil in my rear diff and was wondering which oil to use , ive had parts before from partco etc and lots of times they have been the wrong parts and struggle to find the bits for my van,
My van is a 2.2 AWD 4x4 2015 l2 h2 any help appreciated.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Welcome

EDIT: You must not have a domestic (U.S.) vehicle based on your stats. I'm deleting the info I pasted in from my 2019 full-size Transit manual.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome!

Your owner's manual, providing you have one, specifies the information. For my 2019, this is what it says. Note that the friction modifier is only needed if you have a limited-slip differential (LSD).

Rear Axle Capacities
Variant Quantity
Rear axle fluid, vehicles with limited slip differential. 2.9 qt (2.72 L)
Rear axle fluid, vehicles with conventional differen- 3.0 qt (2.84 L) tial.
Rear axle friction modifier. 0.1 qt (118 ml)
Note: Ford rear axles contain a synthetic lubricant that does not require changing unless you submerge the axle in water.
Materials
Name Specification
Motorcraft® SAE 75W-85 Premium Synthetic Hypoid Gear Lubricant (U.S.)
Motorcraft® SAE 75W-85 Premium Synthetic Hypoid Gear Lubricant / Huile synthétique de haute qualité pour engrenages hypoïdes SAE 75W-85 Motorcraft® (Canada)
XY-75W85-QL (U.S. & Canada)
WSS-M2C942-A
Motorcraft® Additive Friction Modifier (U.S.) Motorcraft® Additive Friction Modifier / Additif modificateur de friction Motorcraft® (Canada) XL-3 (U.S.)
CXL-3 (Canada)
Thanks for that , I also heard something about if it was an electric lock on the diff then you don't use the friction modifier.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Thanks for that , I also heard something about if it was an electric lock on the diff then you don't use the friction modifier.
That makes sense, assuming that the diff is open when it isn't locked.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I assume you have the Ford 9.75 diff. so this is what it needs: 75W-140 synthetic gear oil. Open diff, no friction modifier.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I assume you have the Ford 9.75 diff. so this is what it needs: 75W-140 synthetic gear oil. Open diff, no friction modifier.
Cool thanks fella 👌 any recommendation in oil make , does the same go for the front dif

·
Registered
212 Posts
Do you have AWD Transit?

It does not matter for diff oil. But if it makes you feel better, get Mobil 1.

Honestly speaking diff oil does not degrade unless the water gets in. If you open a 30-year-old diff, the old oil is just like the new oil. Many auto manufacturers label diff oil as lifetime oil. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't suppose you know where the drain and fill is on the front diff by any chance , mine is a AWD modle !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts