Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While at the dealership this AM, the fleet manager at Mac Haik Ford let me take some pictures of their first 2018 model Transit van. It was built the second week of production (9/12) and they just received it on Wednesday, 10/4/2017. You can easily tell the 2018 Transit models from the rear by seeing the black molding around the upper brake lamp assembly. This assembly houses the upper brake lamp and the rear view camera lens for the rear viewing from the radio screen.

One of the corner pieces was missing from the lamp assembly but it helped to show how the assembly was attached to the body. This side was held in with 2 bolts attached to the body. Not sure if any part of the metal surface in this area has been changed from the earlier model Transits so adding this to your existing Transit may be just a matter of drilling the holes to attach the assembly. The camera lens is mounted in the center of the brake lamp housing to give you the view from a higher point than in the 2015-17 models that had the camera lens mounted in the lower door area. The left side of the brake lamp assembly had the proper plastic plug in place so you can see what it looks like and what the reverse image would be to fit in the missing hole on the other side.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the view from the radio screen inside the Transit. As you can see, the view is from a higher position that in the older models. The Fiesta was parked right behind the Transit so you can see how the it relates to the position of the car in the rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
CVM,

Sure is a big housing to just hold the brake light and a camera.
Gives it an ugly look compared to the original brake lights.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Chevy rear view mirror

We were looking at a Chevy Traverse for my wife yesterday and I noted something cool. :cool:
The rear back up camera is like most and shows up in the radio / Nav screen area, BUT, there is also another camera connected to the rear view mirror. It is an always on rear view with an outside view at drivers height. Covers approx. 3 lanes without the conventional rear view look of the back seats, window etc. If you want to keep track of children or anything else that you would normally see with the conventional rear view mirror, you can switch to that view.
Forgot to roll around to the back to see where the camera was located, most likely in the upper brake light (cause like I said the view was from drivers height)

Semper Fi

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I had the Cadillac Escalade for the Byron Nelson Golf Tournament, the view in the rear view mirror comes from a camera view out the rear of the vehicle rather than a mirror looking through the vehicle. I hope to use this type of setup using the 2018 Transit high mount camera and then go with a aftermarket inside mirror that picks up the view from the H/M camera.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
When I make my conversion for the H/M camera, I may remove those plastic tabs on each side and make up a turn signal for each side. Then you would not only have a high roof stop lamp but a high roof turn signal. Would do it in a ORANGE color lens or bulb for a different color contrast.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think another option would be to mount some bright LED spotlights in the side spots instead that could be remote switched on to use as area spotlights for the rear when loading in the dark or backing up.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I think another option would be to mount some bright LED spotlights in the side spots instead that could be remote switched on to use as area spotlights for the rear when loading in the dark or backing up.
I was thinking the same thing. A few LED lights hooked up to one of the upfitter switches would give some good light in the back when needed. I don't have the night vision I used to have and even with the back up camera it can still be hard for me to see whats back there. Some extra light would make a huge difference for me.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That would be one way to use one or two of the upfitter switches to hook up some extra LED lamps on each side for more vision on each side of the Transit. Would also help when viewing out the outside rear view short or long mirrors adding light to the area.

Now we just need Ford to provide a part number for the complete housing. Wondering if the red parking brake lens is the same one as the factory one already on the 2015-17 and just inserted in the housing. I have ordered the wiring diagram from Helm Inc for the 2018 model and it is showing a December 2017 shipping date. Would like to see what the wiring harness looks like to see the connection for the brake lamp and the camera lens.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Their 2018 T-350 HR Extended van came in today. It has some pretty good options on it if you wanted to make a camper out of this one.

www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?vin=1FTBW3XGXJKA05367

A short summary of the window sticker:

2018 W3X...T-350 HR Extended single axle 9500 GVWR
3.5L EcoBoost engine
3.31 regular axle ratio
Trailer Tow package with Trailer Brake Controller
Reverse Park Aid
Cruise Control
Dual H/D Batteries
2 additional keys
Power Inverter
Load Area Protection package with Vinyl Floor covering

This is one of their stock units so that is why it is already on the dealer lot ready to sell!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I found this thread searching through for info on the upper rear view camera on the 2018 medium and high roof vans.
My experience with this new improved camera and upper light housing has not been good.
You can see the missing cover in the pics posted by CVM. This situation is likely to reoccur for 2018 owners because the gasket material seems to be biodegradable. I take the blame for bumping this cover on my van while clearing some snow accumulation. After retrieving the cover and getting a ladder to attempt re-installation, I found the gasket to be tattered and water soaked. It is made of foam with some adhesive backing to hold to the housing. I replaced that with some 3M Strip Calk that I had from a previous project and will see how that goes. It seems to keep the loose fitting cover attached a bit more securely.

I really wasn't interested in Ford attempting a fix, probably using the same type of biodegradable gasket.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I like the size of the housing. I mounted a 2nd camera in it for my rear dash cam camera lens. You have no idea it's there.
I do dislike the covers. Tape is holding them on now because the camera is not waterproof and I don't want them to fell out.
Crewvanman - do you know the part # for the black housing? The whole thing. I'd like to get a 2nd one to modify.
Wonder if the 19 model is different? Thanks in advance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts