Ford Transit USA Forum banner

New to vans, seeking general advice

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Wood_Runner_8 
Hello,

I am entertaining the idea of selling my AWD Wagon and buying a van, possibly a Transit. My uses will be:

- Daily driver to include hauling a car seat
- Hauling lumber and other building materials for house projects and side jobs
- Single person camping with some home built cabinets/amenities
- Very limited lightweight utility trailer towing
We are talking full-sized Transit, here, right? Transit 150, 250 or 350. NOT a small Transit Connect variant... which this forum really does not cater to.

Transit is my daily driver. Medium roof is tall enough for a 5'8" person to stand in without rubbing head, even after putting in a slightly thicker floor, plus finished ceiling.

Moving lumber, be aware that the long wheel base 148" has a cargo floor of about 11'6". For longer lumber, you either need to load diagonal, or limited amount up between the seats, or remove the passenger seat, which is do-able in SOME variants.

I've got the Ecoboost 3.5L, and my 1-year gas mileage average is 17.5... not bad for a vehicle this size, with SO much power reserve.

Towing... apparently you may be frustrated by a van that was not equipped from the factory with the optional tow package. Putting on a hitch would be easy. The electricals, and especially the trailer brake, would be difficult, due to differences in the wiring harnesses used.

There are a lot of build threads on this forum. Mine is linked in the sig line.

I know the Transit has a number of models/sizes available, and I am just trying to get a general idea of where to start my research. This will be my only vehicle so I am willing to get a nice example. I am hoping to purchase the vehicle for somewhere around $20,000.

So, given the above, are my goals attainable? Which models/sizes would you recommend? Any years to avoid?

And lastly, I know this is a Ford forum, but are there competing vans from other makers I should consider?

I will begin poking around the forum to learn more, just trying to get a starting point. Thanks for your time!
$20,000 for 1-year-used has been showing up. Some NEW 2015s have been going for $28K, IIRC.

Mercedes Sprinter -- No. Too expensive; poor dealer support network. Diesel issues. Rust prominent in some years. Lot of other issues. Lot of Sprinter refugees on this forum, as generally happy Transit owners.

RAM (Fiat) Promaster -- No. Less expensive. Cheesy build. Under powered. LOTS of issues. For long loads, you have a step up from the (lower) load area floor, to the passenger area.

My personal opinion is that there really is NO competition for the Transit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.