Ford Transit USA Forum banner

New-to-us Transit 350 HD for family van-camping

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  gregoryx 
#1 ·
Hi, we are a family of four living in California. We purchased our 2017 Transit 350 HD Wagon a few weeks ago and are working on converting it to a "van camping" rig for our family. We'll be adding sleeping area, a fan and insulation over the next few weeks in preparation for our first trip. Our 'build' will be minimal and we're keeping most of the systems modular, using a portable power station for electricity and a Joolca Nomad for sink and shower. We have two small children and are hoping to spend most of our time outside the van when we can, using our big screen tent and outdoor kitchen. We previously had a small camper and both grew up tent camping, so a lot of this is new to us. We're looking forward to getting outdoors!

#3 ·
Are you using the full size or mid size airbedz?
I'm having one of the kids sleep across my 3rd row on a plywood plank + upholstery foam.

I was contemplating making a cot with PVC pipe and hang it off the head rests. That's what a lot of vanagon folks do for the front seats.

Something that can get put away quickly as we are 6 in the van so we put away sleeping gear every morning.

#4 ·
This is the one I got from amazon.

Pittman Outdoors - PPI-TRK_MAT

I also got 2 of the Betus 13x8 air pillows to place under the front airbedz support since the front of the Transit seat is higher than a normal SUV or car seat.

Reactions: ERTBen
#6 ·
I have one and it works pretty well. We bought it pre-van and used it for camping and beach days. Having a hot shower before the 2 hour drive home has been great. The pump is a little loud, but you could replace it with a permanent pump in the van if it's an issue. I don't have anything to compare it to. The heater works well. I'm going to use it with our van to start with and figure out if it's a good permanent solution. If you have really cold water, like from a stream you can always pump and heat, then run it back through the heater again. The customer support has been great. They sent me a new lid for the tub after I broke it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.