Ford Transit USA Forum banner

New push down pking brake option = no modification necessary for swivel seats

14K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Covid van de Mic 
#1 ·
(Note: also posted in the Push down brake thread in "Dealers, Purchases, and Orders" but thought it might receive more useful exposure here for those installing swivel seats.)

I have the Push Down Manual Parking Brake option on my 2018 cargo . It has been a question for some time whether this option would allow installation of a driver swivel seat without needing to modify (lower) the parking brake, which is necessary with the standard parking brake.

I just installed a swivel seat on the driver's seat and can confirm I did NOT need to modify (lower) the parking brake. No modification to the parking brake was necessary.

The swivel cleared the parking brake when the seat was raise to it's highest setting. I did, of course, have to cut about an inch of the seat skirt, but that is necessary for all swivel installations including the passenger side, regardless of the parking brake.

Note in pics that:

1. The parking brake housing prevents fully lowering the seat once you have swiveled it. You can lower it maybe 10% before it hits the housing. If I did not have the heated seat button, presumably you could shave off more of the skirt and lower it further, though I have not explored that. Having it raised is fine. And you have to raise it anyways to swivel it back, so not terrible to have it always up.

2. Related: After the seat has been swiveled, the parking brake cannot really be engaged as it runs into the skirt. You can swivel a bit to one side to partly engage the brake but it rubs a bit on the skirt. I'd cover the skirt surface with a pad of some sort to prevent abrasion.

Both of theses may have been issues with standard parking brake (lowered by people) as well. I don't know.

I'll probably add more details once I start my build page. There were some minor challenges, but they were unrelated to the brake clearance issue. Just got the van.

Details:

- 2018 Cargo
- Power / Heated seats
- Purchases Push Down Manual Parking Brake - $225 Cdn
- Scopema swivel

Pic sequence

1. Parking brake up
2. Parking brake down
3. Seat raised to full height and swivel begun.
4. Swivel complete. Seat has to remain in (almost) full height.
5. Raising parking brake once swivel complete. Sort of possible. Not perfect.

(Note: wood under seat is a quick fix to prevent a rubbing issue others have mentioned. You have to "shim up" a motor to ensure a cable is not pinched. I'll come up with a more elegant shim in time.)

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Just came across this thread. Can someone kindly post a part number for the PUSH DOWN MANUAL EBRAKE. Since our car does not have this option, i cannot use my VIN to search for this part.

We have just separated the ebrake from the chair pedestal and now trying to figure out how we can keep the floor metal plate as well as where to shorten the cable. Then, we came across some pics of the PUSH DOWN Ebrake, and thought maybe we can just install the "lower" version of a similar brake. We don't mind drilling new holes and install new cables to make it fit.

Anyone has done that? Thank you very much in advance.

#7 ·
Just came across this thread. Can someone kindly post a part number for the PUSH DOWN MANUAL EBRAKE. Since our car does not have this option, i cannot use my VIN to search for this part.

We have just separated the ebrake from the chair pedestal and now trying to figure out how we can keep the floor metal plate as well as where to shorten the cable. Then, we came across some pics of the PUSH DOWN Ebrake, and thought maybe we can just install the "lower" version of a similar brake. We don't mind drilling new holes and install new cables to make it fit.

Anyone has done that? Thank you very much in advance.
Did you ever find an answer to this question? I am wondering about the same thing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.