Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few NEW features on the 2020 Transit not listed or discussed before.

NEW driver side assist handle. So many Transit buyers wanted this and when I went to Ford over 2 years ago, they stated the wiring going to the rear of the van was in this area and they would have to redesign the pillar panel to accommodate adding the handle.

This was done for the 2020 model! NOW you have it on BOTH sides!

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did not get a close direct picture for this one, but Ford did make a bypass for the Start/Stop feature that comes on the 3.5L EcoBoost and future 2.0L Diesel engine. See it on the far right side with the 'A' and circle 'O' around it.

Surprised it is not closer to the driver's area but past the Temperature dash control switch.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Did not get a close direct picture for this one, but Ford did make a bypass for the Start/Stop feature that comes on the 3.5L EcoBoost and future 2.0L Diesel engine. See it on the far right side with the 'A' and circle 'O' around it.

Surprised it is not closer to the driver's area but past the Temperature dash control switch. View attachment 131346
That is a weird place for the switch. Sounds like it has to be turned off every time the van starts with the ignition also.
They must have added that lower trim piece on the C pillar for the courtesy light on the cargo van?
Looks like they also added "neck" heating and cooling. ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
The auto start/stop is the main reason I decided to not wait to buy a 2020. The placement of the switch is dumb what a hassle if it has to be turned off with every start. Hope they change that by time I plan on trading in my 2019 in 2022.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
A few NEW features on the 2020 Transit not listed or discussed before.

NEW driver side assist handle. So many Transit buyers wanted this and when I went to Ford over 2 years ago, they stated the wiring going to the rear of the van was in this area and they would have to redesign the pillar panel to accommodate adding the handle.

This was done for the 2020 model! NOW you have it on BOTH sides! View attachment 131338 View attachment 131340
My 2016 has Drivers Assist Handles mounted in the same location. Do you even own a Transit?

(Number 4)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
My 2015 did not have one. Up fitter installed one for me. Great for helping me get positioned in seat. Wife loves being able to have something to grab onto when getting in or out when she's driving.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Yeah I do not use them either, I think they are put there for short people.
My E-Series has one on passenger side that gets used every time either of my parents travel in front seat. At their age even with factory running boards the handle makes it much easier and safer for them to climb in and out.

When entering or exiting through side door, the handle on back of passenger seat also comes in very handy, playing a similar role. Not only does it help them pull themselves in, it adds a lot of stability. I can tell they feel secure holding on to a sturdy handle.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
.......cut....... A lot of the lady owners made this comment and I relayed it to Ford. ......cut.....
If looking for additional comments to relay, I’d suggest a de-tuned entry-level Diesel engine similar to those of European Transits. I’ve read that in Euro the +/- 130 horsepower engine choice is most popular across many brands. Even if in 160 to 170 HP range, a simpler and cheaper single turbo should be an option. The idea of twin turbos to get over 100 HP per liter may be undesirable for those who like the KISS principle.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The auto start/stop is the main reason I decided to not wait to buy a 2020. The placement of the switch is dumb what a hassle if it has to be turned off with every start. Hope they change that by time I plan on trading in my 2019 in 2022.
My 2019 Transit Connect has the switch and has to be pushed every time you start up and I forget until it cuts the engine the first time - I hate it and wish it were reversed where I had to push the button to engage the start/stop. There is a split second delay when you push the gas at a light and I hate that hesitation. I didn't even know what was going on for the first few drives - thought it needed to go for a repair.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
1,866 Posts
My 2016 has Drivers Assist Handles mounted in the same location. Do you even own a Transit?
I know for a fact that Ed owns a Transit, and he has seen the inside of more Transits than most people. Do you have a picture of this assist handle on your Drivers side A pillar? I'd like to retrofit one to my 2018. It doesn't appear on any Ford parts diagrams. Does it match the one on the passenger side?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Post #7, pic # 5 below Thread for mine.

Semper Fi

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
1,866 Posts
Thanks USMC Vet. I had seen mention of your aftermarket A pillar driver handle before. User Michael Ophus makes it sound like his Transit came with one from the factory. That's the one I am interested in seeing.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I know for a fact that Ed owns a Transit, and he has seen the inside of more Transits than most people. Do you have a picture of this assist handle on your Drivers side A pillar? I'd like to retrofit one to my 2018. It doesn't appear on any Ford parts diagrams. Does it match the one on the passenger side?
Number 4 in the diagram, In this link.
It looks identical to the one in Crewvanman's photo

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Here is a mention of it, The Grab handles may be omitted with certain option packages.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
1,866 Posts
Number 4 in the diagram, In this link.
I saw that in your earlier post, but number 4 is the passenger side handle, and there is no part listed for the driver side on that microfiche. That's what is confusing me. You appear to be the only person with a 2015-2019 Transit that has an OEM drivers side grab handle. I may have to remove the A pillar trim to see if there are screw holes under there.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I saw that in your earlier post, but number 4 is the passenger side handle, and there is no part listed for the driver side on that microfiche. That's what is confusing me. You appear to be the only person with a 2015-2019 Transit that has an OEM drivers side grab handle. I may have to remove the A pillar trim to see if there are screw holes under there.
I have A-pillar grab handles on both the driver side and the passenger side

1 - 20 of 35 Posts