Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Great resource here, I have been lurking for a while. Getting ready to order a Transit here in Canada, unfortunately the 2016 Build and Price isn't online yet. I have a couple questions regarding the build I am hoping you can help with.

1. I looked at a 130" passenger wagon on a lot, and the doors only opened 180 degrees. Do they open 270 degrees on the 148" WB passenger wagon?

2. I do not want cloth seats.... I do dirty work during the week and go out with the family on trips and weekends, so to me something we can wash is very important. I am considering the XL with vinyl seats and floor for this reason. Does anyone with the vinyl seats have any reviews? Are they awful in summer or are the driver/passenger vinyl seats comfortable?

3. If I upgrade to XLT I can get leather seats (I think... dealer is having trouble configuring that). If I get the leather seat option, what do the passengers get (cloth, vinyl, leather)?

4. There were a bunch of threads early on regarding removing the seats in the passenger van, and I think the determination is that it can be done. Can anyone comment on how easily this is to do? I can get the seats out of my sprinter in about 3 minutes, if I have someone to help carry them out.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

· Registered
38 Posts
1. The Transit 148" does have fully opening doors. I don't know why the baby Transit doesn't.

2. I ordered a 2016 xlt wagon with leather seats and it was rejected by Ford. I had to change to cloth, which I did not want. I, nor the salesman, understand why leather is not offered in the wagon. When my van comes in, I'm having the seats redone in leather (http://www.gtcovers.com/)

· Registered
1,286 Posts
The 130" rear doors only open 180 deg due to contention with the side slide door on the shorter body.

· Registered
243 Posts
mcsar1- Leather seats in the wagon are only available in the regular wheel base (130"), no clue why not on the 148" wheel base. I believe that the doors don't fully open, on the baby Transit (130) because the sliding Pax door will run into them. I also believe it has caused a problem on the 148" but they changed (2016) the door to some where around 240 degree's for opening to eliminate any contact with the sliding Pax door.
Geoman- I believe that the rear seats (when ordering leather up front) are cloth. No rear leather seats.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great, thanks for the help so far!

Can anyone comment on the ease of removing the rear seats and/or bench combos? Is it a 5 minute process to get them out or a 60 minute job? I know that you need to use a screwdriver and pliers... Maybe there is a kit to convert them to tool-less removal?

· Registered
243 Posts
Try using, seat removal in the search function, lots of info.

· Registered
185 Posts
Quoting 2016 Transit Major Product Features:

"50/50 hinged rear, 180-degree opening. Regular wheelbase.
50/50 hinged rear, 237-degree opening. Long wheelbase and long wheelbase EL."

Only mention of 270-degree opening doors was under Model Line-Up Changes where Ford says they're 237-degree now.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. Can anyone just clarify how quickly they can remove the seats with a screwdriver and pliers? I move seats in and out frequently so speed in doing so is quite important.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

· Registered
42 Posts
May I recommend neoprene seat covers? I used wet okole seat covers in my 06 f250 over cloth seats. Removable and washable, comfortable both summer and winter. They were expensive, but its the first mod I do to any vehicle, especially as we have dogs. When i sold truck in 13, after a lot of use, seats were brand new looking.
rei

· Registered
672 Posts
Thanks for the help everyone. Can anyone just clarify how quickly they can remove the seats with a screwdriver and pliers? I move seats in and out frequently so speed in doing so is quite important.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
The seats with the quick latch (that is a plastic tab to pull on) are very easy and less than a minute to take out. The other seats (excepting the single jump seat) are pretty easy. I really haven't gotten it down and have to refigure out how everytime I change them, which isn't often and soon will be never.

HOWEVER, all the seats are HEAVY. I have taken them out and put them in by myself but it is a tough job. A couple of extra hands (with a strong back) is very helpful.

As to the jump seat. It's a 10 minute job.

I hope that helps.

· Banned
214 Posts
The seats in my Sprinter are also really heavy and awkward. Seats in these vans are NOT like minivans, they are not meant to be handled by a mom with a bag of groceries in one arm. I built a saddle frame to place the awkward seats vertically on a moving dolly so I can easily move them in and out on a ramp (pair of 6' 2x12's with ramp ends). Since I only need to take seats in/out at home, this isn't a problem.

· Registered
8 Posts
Your seats can come out quite easy with just a screw driver, and on my 148 inch wheelbase 350 Transit Wagon
the rear row has a quick lift tab on the seats, these tabs can be purchased for the other rows as well, and then you can
just use the tabs to remove all the seats, except for the little single one in the 3rd row, It needs a special screw
tip to get the two bolts out of the floor. The rear seats, are only good for kids, and a very slim adult. It is a shame that the
Ford company does not make a bench rear seat available, without those skinny buckets.
Stargeezer. If you have not ordered the van yet, You may want to get the 3.5 Eco boost engine, as it is
a bit peppier than the 3.7 standard model.

· Registered
95 Posts
I haven't posted my 'tip/trick' yet - but I too take the seats out a bunch. Rather than purchasing the tabs for the other rows [or removing them from the back] I just used two zip ties per clamp. 1 as a "loop" and the other to secure it to the arm. I'll take some photos later.

Would I trust my life with the zip-tie? no, but if it fails, then I just have to remove them the normal screwdriver way. I find my zip-ties work just as well as the expensive ford fancy ones.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.