Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally getting my crew in 2 weeks and planning things out. It's a 148, HR, long. Anyway, I want the side airbags because I have kids riding back there, that's why I got the crew. But seeing as these are a new layout, I haven't found any information about the airbag situation. I will likely be removing the factory headliner, but I don't know how close I can put materials to the airbags.
Does anyone know how much space they need? Any actual measurements? They look HUGE. Great fro safety, bad for a camper build.
We are looking for this to be 90% just the family sport hauler, but eventually a modular camper with heat, water, solar, and beds. The airbags will be a limiting factor for the space the more I think about it.
Anyone else doing this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The airbags go all the way to the back on the wagons, but I bet they don't on the crew. You do lose a lot of space on the wagon with the airbags and the AC ducting, but I feel it's worth it for the added safety and comfort. Vandoit has some modular upper cabinets that they install in their wagons. With the exception of a few custom brackets they use it is all off the shelf 8020. Provided the airbags stop at the back of the crew seat, you are not giving up much space. You would most likely not have a cabinet over the slider door. So it is only the space over the crew seat driver side that you are losing, unless you install a Vandoit style cabinet up there. Feel confident in your decision and enjoy the new van!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've also ordered a crew for the second row airbags. There are some good pictures of the headliner etc in a recent for sale ad on this forum:

My plan is to leave that second row as-is, with headliner etc, and build from that line backwards. It's a compromise, but one I'm willing to make for second row passenger safety (i.e. my kids).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've also ordered a crew for the second row airbags. There are some good pictures of the headliner etc in a recent for sale ad on this forum:

My plan is to leave that second row as-is, with headliner etc, and build from that line backwards. It's a compromise, but one I'm willing to make for second row passenger safety (i.e. my kids).
In the end that's probably go until to be my route too. I need to see if I can find some double seats to fit in there too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah, I'd love to find a better seat setup for that second row. Two captain's chairs would be awesome. Putting my 2 kids in a 2 person bench is just asking for trouble :)

The stock 2-person Transit bench should fit the seat brackets without modification. Not sure exactly which 2-person bench, there are different versions of it. That for sale ad shows one strapped into the cargo area, so the seller will know which one is right.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And I'll probably get a set of rails to put behind it for guests too. I'm wondering if I can remove the middle seat and make it an armrest, storage type thing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If anyone figures out where to get a 2 person seat (or which one), please let us know because I am getting my crew van in 2 weeks and planning on taking out the 3 person bench right away. I am doing a similar build, leaving the headliner and building the back half out. I'm stoked that the slider door and above it come with factory panelling.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If anyone figures out where to get a 2 person seat (or which one), please let us know because I am getting my crew van in 2 weeks and planning on taking out the 3 person bench right away. I am doing a similar build, leaving the headliner and building the back half out. I'm stoked that the slider door and above it come with factory panelling.
I'm just wondering what the insulation situation will be like there. I'm assuming I'll probably still want more. Who will be the first to pull it down and look?!?!

We need a master "Crew Van" build thread!

I found local seats cheap on CL. But I haven't been there in person yet to confirm that they actually fit. I see extra seat rails on ebay all over.

For now let's post our findings here. Sounds like I might get mine sooner than you guys, so stay tuned.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Yeah, I'd love to find a better seat setup for that second row. Two captain's chairs would be awesome. Putting my 2 kids in a 2 person bench is just asking for trouble :)

The stock 2-person Transit bench should fit the seat brackets without modification. Not sure exactly which 2-person bench, there are different versions of it. That for sale ad shows one strapped into the cargo area, so the seller will know which one is right.
That seat is a matching 36" 2 passenger Ebony cloth seat I sold to him so he could change out the 62" 3 passenger that comes in the CrewVan with the smaller seat. It fits right into the CrewVan with NO modifications.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
There are 2 versions of the 36" 2 passenger seat that you can place in the CrewVan. One is from the XL passenger van and it is a stationary seat, NO recline feature or armrest. If you go with the seat from a XLT passenger van, it will have the 3" to 4" recline feature and the RH armrest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts