Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I just bought a used 2012 Ford transit connect XLT. Has a tad over 65,000 miles and is already having transmission problems. Has anyone here added an auxiliary transmission cooler to the 2.0 engine/tranny?

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Van
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Van

· Registered
2,885 Posts
Was that previously an ATT or Pac Bell vehicle? May have been run hard.

Yes, the transmissions are known to be a weak point, at least when the vans are overloaded or used hard. I bought a 2013 Connect a while back with only 5K miles. Now considering myself to be the "original" owner, I'm approaching 20K miles. My plan is to take very good care of the transmission.

I have acquired a spare transmission pan, and have had a drain plug welded into it. In the next few months, I will do a preventative transmission fluid and filter service, and install the new pan. Then do fluid changes every 20 or 25K miles.

Transmission cooler sounds like a good idea to explore.

· Registered
2,885 Posts
Wow, I didn't know about the transmission coming from Mazda -- even though I've been aware of their long collaboration on a number of vehicles. I'm sure it would have been cheaper and easier to buy the Mazda pan with standard drain plug, than to go the customized route (my fee to the welding shop, alone, would probably have paid for a pan).

I read vast quantities of online posts on the Gen1 Connect, and never saw that tidbit of information. It might have showed up if I had focused my attention on Focus forums.

I also was not aware of the easily replaced solenoids. Any chance those might help you?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I simply read the Wiki history on the Ford Transit Connect & relevant models.
Just dropped off van to have the transmission rebuilt & the aftermarket transmission cooler added. $3,200, 4-5days, 12mo/12k mi. Warranty.

· Registered
2,885 Posts
I hope the transmission has come out OK.

I looked further at the Mazda transmission pans. $40 on Amazon, about $30 less than I spent putting a drain plug in a standard pan. I had the sads, until I realized mine is probably better: it drains from the actual low point of the pan, whereas the factory pan drains from the end, which will leave some fluid pooled at the bottom.

I know why I wanted a drain plug, but started wondering what Mazda's intention was. I downloaded the Owner's Manual for 3 of the models that transmission was used in, to see if there was a scheduled transmission service. Nope, nothing!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts