Ford Transit USA Forum banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2019 MR RWB T150
88 Posts
If I drill a hole in my frame, under the van, and create a ground point there, and then run an appropriately sized wire up through the wall and connect it to my negative busbar which is mounted directly to a wood surface, will that work to ground my loads?

All positive loads terminate in a Blue Sea 12 circuit fuse block.

Thanks.
Yes. Mine is that way (wooden base) although I used a ground point on the E brake base. As long as the bus bar is somehow connected to the vans metal you're good.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Why? What were/are the pros and cons?

On a related question, should one ground the neutral of the 120V to the chassis, from the inverter/power-transfer/shore-power? I'm feeling like grounding would be a safety augmentation, so that live power shorts to metal would trip a breaker instead of leaving the chassis (perhaps intermittently) hot. On the other hand, no doubt the shore-power source is grounded, and if there are phase load imbalances in the shore power source (e.g. my house), there could be a couple of residual volts between shore-power neutral and the actual earth, which could be interesting if the van chassis is grounded to shore-power neutral...
My first conversion was a Sprinter and they have marginal electrical systems. Did not want to interconnect the house electrical to the vehicle electrical so installed the vehicle powered inverter.

I installed a two pole circuit breaker between shore power and the house inverter. I also understand that the 120 volt AC should be grounded to the chassis in only one location. Not an expert on grounding in a van.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts