Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new 2015 TRANSIT Wagon, soon to be converted, has MYFORD TOUCH HD/Sirius/Nav. To my surprise and disappointment, it does not have a CD player. From what I can see, the sticker shows the AM/FM Single CD w/aux jack. Several of the brochures, Product Information Book, Small Brochures indicate there is a standard CD player in the XLT wagon. When I could not find it, I was first told it was there and they gave me clues as to finding it. The salesman then took a look and could not find it. Now they tell me when the factory installed MYFORD TOUCH HD is installed they do not install a CD! I'm having trouble getting past the idea that $1,595.00 Entertainment upgrade excludes a CD player. I had to drive home 450 miles without listening to my Cracker Barrel rented $3.50 wk. audio CD. I was able to find a $75 CD player at Best Buy. This CD/AM/FM fits nicely in the slot in center of the overhead front shelf. I could make this work if I could figure out how to wire the power and speakers. I have spend last two days trying to locate a wiring diagram of the MYFORD system. The dealer Customer Service warned me that if I mess with the MYFORD system, I could void the warranty. Ouch! I need my CD.

· Registered
335 Posts
leapfrogging technologies

I hesitate to suggest, but will none the less - Converting CD's to computer files and storing them on a "thumb drive" will allow you to make use of the USB drive(s) the MT HD has tucked away down by the SD card slot (used by the Nav system). Not as simple as dropping in a CD, but "progress" tends to be painful when we're forced to move along with the "cutting edge" of technology. In FoMoCo's Transit world, taking the bitter with the sweet is part of the ride.

Sometimes it's best to find someone to do the conversion and demo how to use it.

dwb

· Registered
272 Posts
I think the reasoning is when you have my ford touch there's a Bluetooth connect to your cell and they probably think you would stream music from there instead of from a cd. I packed all my cds away about 7 years ago and haven't used one since. like 8track and cassette cd's are almost extinct.

· Registered
2,894 Posts
Geez, ShadeTree and Tchgrif... I think the point IS, that the CD player was listed. AND, when you pay more for the good stuff, you expect it to include features of the lesser models, along with the extra features. I've got basic Sync with CD player. It also has USB and Bluetooth. But, I just bought another album on CD, to add to the bunch I brought over from my old vehicle. I've got basic BT connectivity to my phone, but, have found that getting music and system sounds over the stereo is awkward, at best.

· Registered
1,286 Posts
What he said ^^

Although I am mostly a tech dinosaur, i made a switch to a decent smartphone 2 years ago. Definitely a life changer, but that's a whole new thread.

As soon as I get in my bluetooth ride, my Android phone starts playing my tunes thru the in house stereo, and my Google maps turn by turn directions give me a better route through real time traffic snarls. When my daughter calls me I see her photo on my screen and answer the call hands free. Some of my best conversations are on the car.

Once you get used to this kind of performance it's hard to go back to CDs and proprietary nav systems. The smartphones we are used to are just easier to use, highly refined, and more familiar than automobile stuff.

Don't resist fords nudge to new tech, you won't be sorry!! It's worth the initial painful learning curve to make the switch IMO.

Reactions: Duster

· Registered
201 Posts
You should get what you pay for or your money back (I doubt Ford sees it that way). I use CDs all the time. Perhaps not the most modern method, but certainly not extinct. Most retail stores have a large selection of CDs. I will be plenty upset if this happens to me (after I finally pull the trigger). In a perfect world Ford should pay to have a CD installed.

· Registered
335 Posts
Geez?

Now, now Eddie - calm down. ;-]

I started out with "I hesitate to suggest" due to this being a "fired up topic". The OP stated: "To my surprise and disappointment".

I had "assumed" my 2015 Ford My Touch/Navi came with a CD. I had to go back to the Selected Options print out and there beside option 584 it said "Does not include single CD". Too much small print to keep up with and my eyesight isn't what it use to be.

.​

Click ...

.​

When it comes down to renaming the book's audio file chapters to get them to come out in the right order on a "MP3" player - that can get tricky sometimes.

Enjoy the ride and the journey.
Darrell

· Registered
2,894 Posts
Now, now Eddie - calm down. ;-]

I started out with "I hesitate to suggest" due to this being a "fired up topic". The OP stated: "To my surprise and disappointment".

I had "assumed" my 2015 Ford My Touch/Navi came with a CD. I had to go back to the Selected Options print out and there beside option 584 it said "Does not include single CD". Too much small print to keep up with and my eyesight isn't what it use to be.

Darrell
Ah, well, there must have been several versions of what's included in 584, since CrewVanMan quotes another with CD, in the other thread, from January.

http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/...manager-answer-myford-touch-cd.html#post82409

And, I'm pretty sure this has been covered in still more threads. Then, there's apparently misleading promo materials, and, again, flying against common sense.

· Registered
272 Posts
I never expected a cd player once I had bluetooth and for me it would have been useless, but I understand others think they should have it and still use cd's. To be fair my bmw has bluetooth streaming and a cd player as well but so did my last three cars and I use the ipod hook up in the center console or my phone with bluetooth but never once had a cd in any of these cars save for the volvo which had yearly dvd updates for the navi which they sent me in the mail. I reviewed my order list and it doesn't list a cd but I did notice that in the online brochure with interior upgrade it does say single cd player so I understand the confusion.

· Registered
335 Posts
to include features of the lesser models

Ah, well ... {snip} ... this has been covered in still more threads ... {snip} ... flying against common sense.
A lot of issues related to FoMoCo's US Transit covered on this forum just plain old stink, but I can't argue with something I got in print when I placed the order. Let's wait and see if rascorp has the CD player listed on his order or window sticker.

If you have a bunch of CDs and a USB drive in the transit, well ...

I hesitate to suggest, but will none the less - Converting CD's to computer files and storing them on a "thumb drive" will allow you to make use of the USB drive(s) ... {snip} ...
It hurts me to think about how many CD's you can load on a 32GB flash drive. I've even got a bunch LPs (full albums) just for the old school pleasure of listening them from one end to the other. And then there's the meta data / tags you can tune up with a program like TagScanner (custom album art, embedded lyrics ...).

dwb

· Registered
2,894 Posts
It hurts me to think about how many CD's you can load on a 32GB flash drive. I've even got a bunch LPs (full albums) just for the old school pleasure of listening them from one end to the other. And then there's the meta data / tags you can tune up with a program like TagScanner (custom album art, embedded lyrics ...).

dwb
I have already begun experimenting. But, the Linux distro on my old, spare box is being flaky. Got half of one album ripped, to check in the Transit, on a thumb drive. If that looks encouraging, I'll set up a new Linux distro to rip and experiment further.

Later: wow, the dash menu really blows, and, I'm not yet convinced that the voice menu is much better. It's hard to find a Return or Up or Escape menu item.

· Registered
2,894 Posts
I believe!

If you have a bunch of CDs and a USB drive in the transit, well ...

dwb
Thanks to your prodding, I have made the jump, from physical CDs, to digital files on a USB thumb drive.

Not so much for you, as for the OP or others...

Using software in a Linux distro, I was able to rip about 4 albums an hour to a decent 190 kbps quality level, with little trouble. Not a bad task to do while watching TV or surfing the net. Very important to do the ripping with Internet connectivity; this way, all of the song titles are automatically downloaded and incorporated into the file names. Then, song titles show in the dash display -- much nicer than seeing only "Track 2" in a CD player display.

I suppose current versions of WinDoze may have some ripping software included. Not sure. But, it's easy for me to get free, reliable, safe software for most typical tasks, with Linux.

The SYNCvoice commands are sufficient for starting up any album (or group of albums by a particular artist). "Play album Dark Side of the Moon". You can pause/resume by voice, or use the press the power button to pause/resume. If you want to see a list of all albums or artists, you have to suffer with the dash menu and controls... a minor and infrequent downside.

Then, so as not to have a thumb drive sticking out of the dash, in the way, I've ordered one of the mini-nub thumb drives:

I'm actually going to get much more use out of the albums I've paid for, since it's so convenient to play anything I want, with no fumbling or stopping or dangerous shuffling while driving.

Another advantage is that you can make multiple thumb drives of your files, to leave in different cars, or on different computers, etc. I wish my home entertainment amp was new enough to have a USB input. But, for now, all of my CDs can live in the house, near the music system.

· Registered
2,928 Posts
The only Transits that had the 'CD' listed on the window sticker were the ones built BEFORE January 2015. Literature that was printed earlier in 2014 and still distributed to the dealers through 2015 was showing the 'CD' as part of the HD/NAV radio. Thought the NEW SYNC radio coming in the 2016 Transit would be different and may include the CD. Literature so far shows NO CD which has been the case since Ford updated the literature in early 2015.

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, I appreciate the input. I thought I had stated my interest in a CD. I'm not a techy, so have little interest in all the new gadgets being sold these days. That being said, I'm not opposed to learning new things at age 71. My Sticker, shows an AM/FM CD. Yes, it does also show the MyTouch option but as far as I am concerned they were shown as stated as independent items. I learned long ago not to cry over "spilled milk" so I'm not going to think negative thoughts about my friends at Ford. What I do expect is for them or hope someone else will help me determine how to hook up the single CD unit I purchase at Best Buy for $75. No I prefer not to lay it on the floor and plug it into the audio jacks provided, nor do I wish to plug into the 12v power receptacle. I have Sirus with enough music to keep me going for a long time, which I don't have. What my wife and I really like is to continue to listen to the CD novels that we are able to rent from Cracker B. I do plan to use a TV/CD/DVD combo in house portion, but that would be inconvenient while driving along at 70mph.
Thank you all for your comments, they were really entertaining.. Contemplate more as I progress with my build. I will report with pictures and parts list as I move forward.

· Registered
88 Posts
Later: wow, the dash menu really blows, and, I'm not yet convinced that the voice menu is much better. It's hard to find a Return or Up or Escape menu item.
Yes, let me know if you figure how to navigate to bluetooth without using the voice. Or if you can turn off the voice that says "your phone is now connected and is reminding you 911 is off", or if you can turn off the screen when driving at night..

I'm sure I will rip the entire radio out if cannot turn this off soon... :mad::s

no radio/xm/fm/xxx feature is worth the assault that is the microsoft sync user experience.

· Registered
2,894 Posts
Yes, let me know if you figure how to navigate to bluetooth without using the voice. Or if you can turn off the voice that says "your phone is now connected and is reminding you 911 is off", or if you can turn off the screen when driving at night..

I'm sure I will rip the entire radio out if cannot turn this off soon... :mad::s

no radio/xm/fm/xxx feature is worth the assault that is the microsoft sync user experience.
I guess you get the connected+911 message because you have not turned 911 on...? Mine is on, and, I never hear anything. My phone's BT is always on; when I get in the van, there's no audible signal.

Yes, it would be nice if you could keep the SYNC screen off, or dimmed more than the dash dimmer does; the SYNC screen is always brighter than the other dash lights, no matter how dim the setting.

Heh, I forgot that Microsoft was responsible for SYNC.

· Registered
257 Posts
Ok, I appreciate the input. I thought I had stated my interest in a CD. I'm not a techy, so have little interest in all the new gadgets being sold these days. That being said, I'm not opposed to learning new things at age 71. My Sticker, shows an AM/FM CD. Yes, it does also show the MyTouch option but as far as I am concerned they were shown as stated as independent items. I learned long ago not to cry over "spilled milk" so I'm not going to think negative thoughts about my friends at Ford. What I do expect is for them or hope someone else will help me determine how to hook up the single CD unit I purchase at Best Buy for $75. No I prefer not to lay it on the floor and plug it into the audio jacks provided, nor do I wish to plug into the 12v power receptacle. I have Sirus with enough music to keep me going for a long time, which I don't have. What my wife and I really like is to continue to listen to the CD novels that we are able to rent from Cracker B. I do plan to use a TV/CD/DVD combo in house portion, but that would be inconvenient while driving along at 70mph.
Thank you all for your comments, they were really entertaining.. Contemplate more as I progress with my build. I will report with pictures and parts list as I move forward.
I was charged $2,170 for the Sync/MyFordTouch/CD package and received my vehicle without the CD. Other people ordered the same system without the CD for $1,000 less. After some discussion with Ford Customer Service they agreed to compensate me for the difference. My advice is for you to pursue a similar path if you have the patience. Why Ford could not just admit that this feature (and some steering wheel controls) had been removed from the package and compensate people accordingly is beyond me. Life doesn't have to be as hard as we make it.

· Registered
2,894 Posts
... What my wife and I really like is to continue to listen to the CD novels that we are able to rent from Cracker B.
There you go! No matter what anyone thinks of digitizing music collections, being able to use available novels on CD rentals is a compelling case for having the CD in your rig.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.