Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ford Transit, Eco-boost, 148" wb, high roof
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, just joining up on the forum. I've jumped right in by buying a VanDOit LIV model on a 2019 Transit chassis with the 3.5 EcoBoost and a Quigley 4x4 conversion. As much as I would have liked to build my own, when I examined my personal situation and my target timing, it wasn't going to work. In part due to other projects around the house and with my Wrangler.

I've been surfing around the site a bit, amazing work that some of you are doing on your own conversions. Looking forward to learning from everyone.

Here's my van:

·
Super Moderator
1,666 Posts
Welcome! I'm sure many people on here will be envious of your decision to buy a completed conversion. I think a lot of members on this forum had this vision of the time and expense needed to do it ourselves and then got a reality check.

Does that roof rack howl in the wind ? It looks like it could be pretty noisy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome! I'm sure many people on here will be envious of your decision to buy a completed conversion. I think a lot of members on this forum had this vision of the time and expense needed to do it ourselves and then got a reality check.

Does that roof rack howl in the wind ? It looks like it could be pretty noisy.
Thanks. It was a tough process to go through in making that decision to build or buy. I have made a living as a Mechanic in a previous life, I do enjoy working on my own vehicles and I do have the ability to learn those things needed for DIY. I wanted to be able to pull that trigger to DIY, but those other projects plus building a van within my time frame forced me to make a decision. It was actually a relief once I did make that decision and send my deposit check.

The rack does make some noise, thus I have ordered a fairing from Colorado Fairing Company. I anticipate it will be here in a couple of weeks (or sooner - not sure how the Virus is impacting them).

·
Super Moderator
1,666 Posts
I'll be interested in hearing how the spoiler works. I'm looking at making my own rack out of 80/20 extruded aluminum. but smaller cross sections than your rack.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be interested in hearing how the spoiler works. I'm looking at making my own rack out of 80/20 extruded aluminum. but smaller cross sections than your rack.
A number of people on the VanDOit owners group have installed the Colorado Fairings and all have commented on improved noise levels. I think the Jury is still out on any improvement in fuel economy but at least there's a chance for an improvement.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Welcome! That's a beautiful looking van, inside and outside. Would you mind sharing more details of the build?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2019 148" HR, EcoBoost, 3:31LS, Quigley 4x4 conversion, full tow package with brake controller. Electric heated seats, steering wheel controls, Pioneer NEX navigation system. The chassis is actually a passenger van and I have two 2 person benches and a single jumpseat in black or dark grey leather that I can put in the van if I remove the kitchen pod.

The van has 3 x 100Amp-hour AGM batteries connected to a charge controller that can switch between 400W of solar, alternator or shore power. 2000W inverter. LED exterior lights on front, side and back. Side and back are on the same switch, front is separate.

The Awning is from Thule. It is a manual awning that functions much like an electric. I like it a lot, very easy to deploy with the provided crank arm.

The kitchen pod contains a water module which consists of a hot water heater and the water pump. 6 gallons of fresh water and a 6 gallon gerry can for the grey water. If necessary, I can remove the water module and separate it from the kitchen pod. There is a extendable hose that plugs into the front of the water module so I can use the garden style sprayer to clean my gear or as a shower. You can see the hose and sprayer attached in this photo. The fresh water is behind the driver seat with the grey water next to the water module. The entire kitchen pod can be removed if I need to use the van for hauling something - people for example. It's held in by two ratchet straps which have orange handles visible on each side of the kitchen pod. It's a dometic sink with a lid.

The chest syle fridge is also from Dometic. It's a single compartment CFX50W but it can act as a freezer or fridge.

Here's some different configurations I've tried with the kitchen pod, refridgerator and seat(s):

The bed is on a hydraulic lift system to allow me to carry stuff on the slide-out gear tray. Even with the bed at maximum height I still have room to sleep up there - thus the reason I opted for the high roof even though I'm only 5'5" and could easily have stood up in the mid-roof.

The gear tray will hold up to 750 lbs distributed evenly. I've seen people hauling 4-wheelers on their VanDOit gear slides. I don't think they pull the slide out when they are loading or unloading, but I can't say for certain.

For a toilet I use a BlackPine Turbo Toilet - actually I haven't used it yet, but I have it in case I need it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One more shot of the garage area because it looks cool with the green lights:

You can see in the roof there are two MaxxFans deluxe. VanDOit gives an option for an air conditioning unit but it only really runs on shore power. I hope to be spending more time boondocking than at a campsite so I opted for the twin fans.

The roof rack is also made of 80/20 and has 4 x 100 W solar panels. I'll have to dig up the manufacturer on the panels - it escapes me at the moment.

The wrap is my design and harkens back to my Military days. Even the name of the van - Galahad is a tribute to the men who I served with.

I have just received the Aluminess hinge mount ladder and spare tire carrier which I hope to mount up on Saturday. I did get a spare Ultra TOIL wheel with the BFG All-terrain T/A (245/75R16), thus the need for the tire carrier.

One of the coolest things about the 80/20 is the ability to attach stuff to it. A colleague of mine 3-d printed a couple dozen hooks for me and I purchased some bungee cord to help secure some of my storage areas:

There is also an 80/20 skeleton on the interior of the roof which I've suspended a cargo net where I'll store my sleeping bag, blankets, pillow, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to the group, thank you for your service brother.

I love the rear window American flag. Did you add that yourself?
The wrap design is mine - so in effect you could say I added it myself. However, the wrap (including the flag on the rear window) was actually applied during the build of my van by a company contracted by VanDOit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts