Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was mine on Tuesday. Wed morning at 0930 I left fora whirlwind trip from fla to St Thomas, Canada--a few miles short of 3,000 in 3 days.

My gas mileage was better than expected. I tracked it with a calc at 18.82, 20.39, 16.19, 18.1, and 20.54 mpg's. Normal speed was 75 except for snow at 35mph. Many time I only put in 10 gallons and took off, adding that ten to the next calculation.

Visibility out back is strictly by mirrors and the door windows were useless. It was had to judge distance of vehicles behind me with that door design.

Another feature I don't like is the gas door. I hate having to leave my door open to fuel, particularly when it's blowing/rain/sleet/snow. All the heat sucks out when it's 7 degrees!

The stereo i have is 6 speaker, cd only and it sounds great! But no SEEK or SCAN! that was on of Ford's STUPID ideas.

The transmission is so smoothe that i never once felt it shift, other than to pass. The turbos only came on once i think as this vehicle goes with the flow very well, and loves to lead the pack :)

I was surprised how well the van drives with no body rolls/squaks/rattles or inside noise. It is very quiet.

The seating position is great but when driving 10 hours it would be nice to have a little more foot room.

traction was very good in the snow, crossing from asheville to knoxville, dodging jack knifed trucks, and icy roads up 75 through kentucky. And then driving back on 77 to Charlotte during our present storm was a hoot, guessing whre the road is.

The gas door and the rear windows are the big screw ups in my opinion, with all else just a preference thing.

· Registered
371 Posts
Congratulations Kitesurfer. Can you tell us little more about your Transit (size, engine, etc...)

· Registered
80 Posts
How tall are you? I'm 6'2" and waiting for delivery this spring. I hope I don't hate the leg room issue. Thanks and congrats on your new van.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
148", low roof, eco boost.

fuel door--you're right! I just checked it. I wish I had known
i have no problem backing/parking. I'm talking driven down the interestate at 79 and trying to remember who's back there. I really dread pulling my motorcycle because I may not be able to see it. It would be nice if that camera worked while driving just to see your tow.

I'm 6' even, and my normal daily driver is a Miata--totally different seating positions. My feet position in the Transit was great for the most part. But driving that long there were times when i really wanted to stretch my left foot farther.

· Registered
82 Posts
i have no problem backing/parking. I'm talking driven down the interestate at 79 and trying to remember who's back there. I really dread pulling my motorcycle because I may not be able to see it. It would be nice if that camera worked while driving just to see your tow.
Shutting the door also keeps the fuel smell out of the cabin. :)

I do understand the rearward vision the door frames are so wide they block the view. It really bothered me at first, but I've gotten used to it. If I was towing, I'd probably devise some sort of trailer corner marker.

It might be possible to rig up a garmin or other rear camera to be switchable.

I'm 6' even, and my normal daily driver is a Miata--totally different seating positions. My feet position in the Transit was great for the most part. But driving that long there were times when i really wanted to stretch my left foot farther.
Yep, if you aren't careful you'll end up sitting sideways, but it is very comfortable otherwise.

· Registered
501 Posts
That my friend is a classic brainfart.

Congrats and great to see it performed very well with such a big drive.

Reactions: Budsky

· Registered
2,286 Posts
The stereo i have is 6 speaker, cd only and it sounds great! But no SEEK or SCAN! that was on of Ford's STUPID ideas.
I have the very rock bottom 2 speaker stereo, no CD no USB input, and even it has seek.
Something isn't right.

· Registered
202 Posts
i just went out and verified. I do not have SYNC. when i push those buttons at the bottom, i do get a change of display but i do not get a seek or a scan THAT SEARCHES FOR A NEW STATION.

So when you press the forward/reverse button is only goes through your preset stations?
Does the menu option have anything about changing the function from tune to seek, etc.?
If you don't have seek....that sucks big time! hahaha, it would be like having an old fashioned radio where you turn the knob until a station sounds clear aka "hand and hear seek function"

· Registered
2,286 Posts
In the 2016 owner's manual it shows 4 different configurations of radio controls- the first is plain jane like mine- seek at upper right just below the clock button.
Next is the AM/FM/CD panel and seek is at the upper right.
The next two are variants one with SYNC and one with SYNC and Sirius. They both have the seek buttons above the volume knob.

So kitesurfer- which is it you have? You said you were pressing buttons at the bottom but do not have SYNC- which the owner's manual does not show as a possible config- it could be wrong though.

· Registered
82 Posts
In the 2016 owner's manual it shows 4 different configurations of radio controls- the first is plain jane like mine- seek at upper right just below the clock button.
Next is the AM/FM/CD panel and seek is at the upper right.
The next two are variants one with SYNC and one with SYNC and Sirius. They both have the seek buttons above the volume knob.

So kitesurfer- which is it you have? You said you were pressing buttons at the bottom but do not have SYNC- which the owner's manual does not show as a possible config- it could be wrong though.
Yep, neither the 2015 or 2016 manual show a radio that does not have seek.

FWIW, I was playing with this today (2015 AM/FM/CD/Sync) and the buttons on the radio seek to the next station, however pushing the same button on the steering wheel control scrolls through presets. I had not messed much with it prior because I usually just use bluetooth audio.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks guys! I've made 3 trips out to the van this morning. I have the AF/FM/CD/SYNC radio as referred to in the owners manual. Those little arrows are very hard to see if not looking for them. they work great. But now i'm wondering if I have SYNC as I don't ;'think' i paid for it. my window sticker shows AM/FM-SINGLE CD @ $210.

edit. my owners manual picture shows PHONE on the left -- mine has MUTE instead. So I guess i don't have SYNC.

My test drive was last march and we did not even turn on the radio. I drove back home 20 minutes the day of delivery without the radio on. The next day I left for a 3 day drive. Couldn't access the owners manual while driving . Just in case any were wondering how i could miss something so small. Thanks to all of you who responded.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.