Ford Transit USA Forum banner

My TURD ECU plug cover

16K views 44 replies 18 participants last post by  Dirk Gently 
#1 ·
New owner, was reading up on the known issues and when I saw the ECU plug proximity to the water drainage, I look in my cubbard and I save these Arizona Ice tea jugs to carry water in to rinse off after riding my dirt bikes. When I measured the plug from one side to the other, it is roughly 9 inches, so I took the Arizona jug, cut the handle out and cut a slot on the bottom and in the neck to slip over the wire looms on both sides. Used a zip tie on the neck side and it fits perfect! Open and allows alot of air flow around the plug but makes a nice "garage" over the plug

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks Firebolter. I haven't seen any water dripping on mine since the new diverter was added to the later models. But I like your idea and will use it if I see an issue.Others use plastic ziploc bags which are doable as well.

#5 ·
Yeah, It rained pretty good the day I got mine and I did see some water sitting on the ECU, so I decided it wouldn't hurt to do something easy like this. I kinda don't like plastic bags because humidity can form in the bag sometimes. This has lots of air flow around the plug and no heat gets trapped. That Arizona jug is the perfect size and shape!

#11 ·
If you're worried about the water from the cowl drain, you can just slip some tubing onto it.
If you're worried about the water that gets in the engine compartment from the roadway, don't drive in the rain.

Reactions: 1x1_Speed_Craig
#12 ·
If you're worried about the water that gets in the engine compartment from the roadway, don't drive in the rain.
Hey Super Moderator, I'd like to report the above comment as being snarky and unhelpful.

;)

(You're someone who can pick up joke telltales over the internet but just in case - I'm kidding. I liked the 'meta' aspect of my comment. And explaining the humor to kill it.)

#16 ·
If you drive in the rain you will get water in the engine compartment. You can stop it from coming in the hole in the cowling at the driver's side windshield wiper post - for the most part.

Both of the hood vents drain in up by the radiator.

#17 ·
Yes, I think the drain hose is a quick and simple help for those having the issues. I added it even though the reported problems have not been observed on my 2015 any of the times I looked. Our 2018 has the diverter tray, which seems to do its job well enough. All of my vehicles have had their share of water - even mud - splashed into the engine compartment when driving in the rain and through puddles, yet not from above.

And yes, it's possible I've made one or two tongue-in-cheek comments (though in more of a low-pitched tone like Sam Elliot), so there was no problem appreciating the intent of Eiko's report ?

Reactions: 1x1_Speed_Craig
#18 ·
Whatever, it's the internet. I read what folks like you guy post, I take what I find useful and ignore the rest. I don't know him and he doesn't know me, so no effs given! ?

I have thought about the hose/drain option, but if I do that, I plan to add a drain nipple to the "tray" he removed and add hose there as the "tray" has a purpose to catch what gets past the wiper tray, so adding a drain hose from it seems to be the best approach, but then again, I have the benefit of all you guys figuring all this crap out before I bought my Transit!

#19 ·
so no effs given .... all you guys figuring all this crap out

Try a little experiment if you want to see how the hood vent drains. Open the hood and shine a light into the engine compartment. Open the glove box, remove the cabin air filter cover and remove the filter if you have one in. Look in and see if you can see the light. Then go for a drive in the rain .... ;-]

#20 · (Edited)

#22 ·
The tube mod works great as long as there isn't anything clogging the drain hole. It's a MUCH better system that Ford allowing the water to drain through the body cavities, but you should still add a TURD and miniTURD.

Reactions: asdrew
#26 ·
There was a recall/TSB to put on the gutters for the early Transits (15-16) that did not have them installed at the factory. If you don't have the gutters, you should be able to get them put on for FREE at any dealership. Or maybe they'll just give you the parts and you can snap them into place yourself. But maybe not. I tried to get them to exchange my OEM bad battery so I could put it in myself instead of leaving my van for half a day, but they wouldn't do it. I went across the street to Walmart and bought a new battery for $100 instead.

#28 ·
Just checked under the hood of my 2020 to find water all over the ECU connector and wiring after a heavy rain and found this thread. I like the drain/hose retrofit. I found the items below that might be almost perfect for this application.

#30 ·
Newbie who wants to thank everyone for your info. My PCU/ecu was shorted out by water intrusion where the plug connects to PCU/ECU. The contact pins were corroded and looking pretty ugly. Safe to say i need at least 1 wire harness as well.
Just to let others know the ice tea jug did not work for me as it did for OP. i have 2 plugs which enter the PCU from bottom near the edges (OP seems to have 1 top and 1 bottom both centered, but cannot tell from photo.
I had a tarp over the entire front and lapped onto the roof about 3'. I thought it was the ultimate T.U.R.D ha ha ha, WRONG, while under the tarp during a very brief light rain shower i was amazed to find water seeped down along side if winshield and never even come close to cowel drain....and slowly drip on my dead PCU. So i determined my NEW drain tube was useless....and ordered the water diverters to dump water into fender wells. Hoping the diverters will catch water from the edge of widshield and divert it away from PCU.....before i get it replaced at dealer.

How my truck seemed to run flawless for 5 years with no drain tubes, no fender diverters, AND a broken cowel panel (lip where it locks into windshied was cracked and hidden) is simply amazing....but luck ran out.

#31 ·
Got my water diverters today and took tarp off entire truck to install and test during todays rain....opened hood, which dumped water all over the PCU/ECU ha ha ha.
As soon as i clipped diverters in place they started working very well catching water from winshileld side which would not fall into cowl drain (see above post). I plan to install a 3rd drain hole in the side of the cowl drain like i have seen elsewhere on this excellent site. Last step will be to install a turd over the NEWpCU and plugs once installed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.