Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner, was reading up on the known issues and when I saw the ECU plug proximity to the water drainage, I look in my cubbard and I save these Arizona Ice tea jugs to carry water in to rinse off after riding my dirt bikes. When I measured the plug from one side to the other, it is roughly 9 inches, so I took the Arizona jug, cut the handle out and cut a slot on the bottom and in the neck to slip over the wire looms on both sides. Used a zip tie on the neck side and it fits perfect! Open and allows alot of air flow around the plug but makes a nice "garage" over the plug

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nice idea! What year and model is your transit? Also try to update your signature with that as well. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks Firebolter. I haven't seen any water dripping on mine since the new diverter was added to the later models. But I like your idea and will use it if I see an issue.Others use plastic ziploc bags which are doable as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Firebolter. I haven't seen any water dripping on mine since the new diverter was added to the later models. But I like your idea and will use it if I see an issue.Others use plastic ziploc bags which are doable as well.
Yeah, It rained pretty good the day I got mine and I did see some water sitting on the ECU, so I decided it wouldn't hurt to do something easy like this. I kinda don't like plastic bags because humidity can form in the bag sometimes. This has lots of air flow around the plug and no heat gets trapped. That Arizona jug is the perfect size and shape!

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
This has lots of air flow around the plug and no heat gets trapped.
Good thought process. I cringe at non-factory methods that try to seal those connections. You're not going to prevent moisture from entering. It's more important that moisture has an easy way out. This applies to everything in van building.

I did similar with the same dishpan used in the airbox TURD. Just cut the dishpan so it keeps out water from above but plenty open underneath for air circulation and drying.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Wow, that's a lot nicer than my used bread bag and zip ties!

·
Super Moderator
2,338 Posts
If you're worried about the water from the cowl drain, you can just slip some tubing onto it.
If you're worried about the water that gets in the engine compartment from the roadway, don't drive in the rain.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
If you're worried about the water that gets in the engine compartment from the roadway, don't drive in the rain.
Hey Super Moderator, I'd like to report the above comment as being snarky and unhelpful.

;)

(You're someone who can pick up joke telltales over the internet but just in case - I'm kidding. I liked the 'meta' aspect of my comment. And explaining the humor to kill it.)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Really??

SMH...

ICYMI, water intrusion into the engine compartment happens by going UNDER the good for nothing ‘water catch’ tray. Easy to demonstrate with a water hose (or bucket of water).

If you’re going to soap box preach, at least be accurate.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I know where you're coming from. I had the same reaction for a minute but then remembered that we know @asdrew and he's not that kind of person. He's making that comment in a high pitched squeaky tongue-in-cheek voice.

Yah, I put the mini-turd on after noticing dried water spots on the ECU, the upward facing 128 pin ECU plugs from water going under the cowl drain shield.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I remember a time when I had to sell the idea that water even gets into this plug.

I tried to help sell the idea of drain hoses on the trough too but no one was listening and many have yet to try drain hoses today, It is more fun to complain instead of finding a solution.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you drive in the rain you will get water in the engine compartment. You can stop it from coming in the hole in the cowling at the driver's side windshield wiper post - for the most part.

Both of the hood vents drain in up by the radiator.

·
Super Moderator
2,338 Posts
Yes, I think the drain hose is a quick and simple help for those having the issues. I added it even though the reported problems have not been observed on my 2015 any of the times I looked. Our 2018 has the diverter tray, which seems to do its job well enough. All of my vehicles have had their share of water - even mud - splashed into the engine compartment when driving in the rain and through puddles, yet not from above.

And yes, it's possible I've made one or two tongue-in-cheek comments (though in more of a low-pitched tone like Sam Elliot), so there was no problem appreciating the intent of Eiko's report 😁

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Whatever, it's the internet. I read what folks like you guy post, I take what I find useful and ignore the rest. I don't know him and he doesn't know me, so no effs given! 😀

I have thought about the hose/drain option, but if I do that, I plan to add a drain nipple to the "tray" he removed and add hose there as the "tray" has a purpose to catch what gets past the wiper tray, so adding a drain hose from it seems to be the best approach, but then again, I have the benefit of all you guys figuring all this crap out before I bought my Transit!

·
Registered
209 Posts
so no effs given .... all you guys figuring all this crap out

Try a little experiment if you want to see how the hood vent drains. Open the hood and shine a light into the engine compartment. Open the glove box, remove the cabin air filter cover and remove the filter if you have one in. Look in and see if you can see the light. Then go for a drive in the rain .... ;-]

·
Registered
2,197 Posts

1 - 20 of 22 Posts