Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as some of you know I have an 04 with over 500,000 miles on her. And of course I will be owning a Transit in the near future

I predict

by the end of 2016 Sprinter will lose 20% of the market share in N. America:|

2017 will be the last year Sprinter will be produced in N. America:crying:

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Sprinter current share of the large van market is about 8 1/2%. I would be very surprised if they can hold 4% after Transit. There are only so many tour bus companies that buy black vans for show. People do think the Sprinter has prestige.
I would also be surprised to see them leave this market.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
They have a niche as upscale limos for celebrities and for companies that want to show off that they are "environmentally conscious", so go with the four-banger Sprinter. That, and the general disdain of Americans to buy domestic (something that makes me scratch my head, because if you buy overseas... the jobs tend to go overseas.)

I think M-B doesn't care that much if they lose marketshare with the Sprinter. Freightliner even more, because the Sprinter isn't a big rig. Mercedes seems to be wanting to go the hybrid or diesel route for cars with high MPG. The Sprinter really doesn't fit into their luxury car, hybrid car or "eco-car" market, so it seems that it gets the second class treatment in most places. I do say where I live, Austin, is an exception because of two very good MB and FL dealerships, but most places tend not to have anyone savvy with a Sprinter for hundreds of miles.

I don't think it will disappear entirely. They will be the only van maker with 4WD, and a lot of luxury-car features for the driver, so for small businesses looking for something to use long term, Sprinters still have a market. The name recognition also will keep people buying it just to have the Mercedes name on a product.

The Transit is going to do well. The market for the van is going to come from not just people moving from Sprinters, but people wanting to move from their old Econoline and Express vans to something more spacious and fuel efficient. Especially fleets which might hesitate on moving to Sprinters in the past due to the difficulty of finding service stations and paying Mercedes prices for parts and labor. A lot of fleets have deals with Ford already, so moving Transits across the entire inventory will be a simple matter of course.

Of course, there are people saying that the Transit will have problems due to no 4WD. However, this is a specialty item. Unlike Mercedes which (IIRC) would pull dealer authorization, Ford doesn't care if a company sells 4x4 upfits. So, this relative niche market will definitely be addressed by Sportsmobile or Quigley.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I think Ford will watch how many 4wd Sprinters sell in the USA, Does any body know what Quigley's market "forcast" is? They are laying out their $ to develep, how many to they need to build/sell to break even?

·
Registered
110 Posts
The transit will be the sales leader but here's what you're over looking. MPG for both gas engines is very poor. Avg mpg will be 15 or less. Almost no improvement over V8. Sprinter 2.1 will avg 10 mpg or better. Transit diesel to costly, 6000$ option. Price of transit to close to sprinter, maybe even higher with diesel option. May 2014 sprinter sales 2264 units, up 23.9%.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The sprinter 2.1 will avg 10 mpg more than transit gas. Maybe even more than 10 mpg. That would be huge for a company like FedEx who runs 12000 sprinters.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I heard that FEDEX drivers own their vans?, they get them at a bulk discount price?
Is so,who is paying for the fuel?

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
The sprinter 2.1 will avg 10 mpg more than transit gas. Maybe even more than 10 mpg. That would be huge for a company like FedEx who runs 12000 sprinters.
Doubt that. Gas at 16 and Sprinter 4 at 26?

Is the Sprinter 2.1 engine as robust as the Sprinter V6? Only time will tell.

Can you imagine the repair costs involved with 12,000 Sprinters?

12,000 Sprinters may become zero Sprinters if the Ford proves to be less costly to operate which appears to be very likely to happen.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
You have left out one minor detail. Last time I read the Ford option list I saw a diesel as an option. Best to compare apples to apples. Sprinter diesel to Ford diesel. About same price and mileage. What will be different is service locations and the price of parts and probably reliability.

·
Registered
110 Posts
FedEx has there own service locations for sprinter. If Mercedes sells less Sprinters, will that make it more enjoyable to own a Transit? If it wasn't for the Sprinter we wouldn't be getting the Transit or the Promaster in the USA.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
FedEx has there own service locations for sprinter. If Mercedes sells less Sprinters, will that make it more enjoyable to own a Transit? If it wasn't for the Sprinter we wouldn't be getting the Transit or the Promaster in the USA.
Yes

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
There is a rumor that the Sprinter is about to be put on the endangered species list due to declining number of live Sprinters.

PS: I started the rumor!

·
Registered
118 Posts
In general this is how it works. If Ford has some success with Transit it will continue to make huge investments in the future of the Transit. An example may be the 2.7L EB/10 speed transmission. MB can't hope to keep up with investment and will become a niche player and will eventually either leave the market or will revamp the Sprinter line.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
In general this is how it works. If Ford has some success with Transit it will continue to make huge investments in the future of the Transit. An example may be the 2.7L EB/10 speed transmission. MB can't hope to keep up with investment and will become a niche player and will eventually either leave the market or will revamp the Sprinter line.
Mercedes has the resources and ability to compete. The question is more if are they willing to invest the money to remain competitive.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mercedes has the resources and ability to compete. The question is more if are they willing to invest the money to remain competitive.
I fully expect Sprinter's market share to dwindle significantly. They certainly have expertise but if they don't have sufficient market share it becomes unprofitable to come close to Ford's investment in innovation. Mercedes has to see a road to long term profitability to remain in the market.

·
Registered
640 Posts
What do you guys see with the "big Transit" in Europe doing to Benz?
2.2L diesel w/ 6 speed manual.
I have seen You tube videos in Europe with it, will try to find it again and post.
The euro Transit was the #1 seller

1 - 20 of 36 Posts