Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 148" medium roof crew, 3.5L PFDI, 10 spd, 3.73
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Transit came out of the shop on Monday and by Saturday all of the cabinets were back in and the ceiling completed. We are very happy with the "finished" conversion and are already planning a 10 day trip. As with all RVs, the conversion will never be complete as every time we take ours out we come up with changes that make the experience more personal, but for now, all major components are in place so it is time to pack up and hit the road.

I have posted pictures of the cabinets in earlier "My simple build" threads, and plan on adding some more in this thread of the van in use, but I do want to post pictures of the completed ceiling. I went with a 3 section design for a number of reasons, the first being not to have it too thick as we have a mid-height Transit. I ended up with 3/4" thick in the center because I needed it to be flat for the fan molding. I was able to do this by overlapping the center section of the ceiling over the two side panels. I installed wires for the "puck" lights that are arriving next week and as each panel is easily removable it shouldn't take more then an hour to install them.
Wood Floor Rectangle Paint Gas
Light Wood Line Fixture Tints and shades

·
Registered
2016, MR, 130"
782 Posts
Your simple is my fancy. Looks great!

Reactions: rahtware

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ceiling wood is all 1/4" ply with 1/2" strips backing up the inner and outer edges of the side panels to keep them from warping and give me something to screw into (if needed) in the future. The upper shelves in the photos are 8" deep and made out of 1/2" ply. the only thing holding them in place right now is 4, 1/4" bolts that go through the back board of the shelf and the 1/4" side wall ply into rivnuts mounted in original holes in the van. The shelves are very solid so I don't think I will need to add any more supports. The ceiling boards are held in place with #14 SS screws and seem OK as they are holding very little weight.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your simple is my fancy. Looks great!
Thanks, but looks are deceiving. That ceiling only took about 3 hours total, most of that was waiting for the glue on the backer strips to dry. The nice thing about the 3 panel design is that the two side panels don't have to be perfect as the center panel(s) covers up any imperfections. I also didn't bring the side panels all the way to the walls, ending them at the bottom of the roof beams. Using 1 3/4" wide strips of 1/2" ply on those edges keeps them stiff. Doing it this way allowed me to make simple straight cuts instead of having to fit everything.

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
Thanks, but looks are deceiving. That ceiling only took about 3 hours total, most of that was waiting for the glue on the backer strips to dry. The nice thing about the 3 panel design is that the two side panels don't have to be perfect as the center panel(s) covers up any imperfections. I also didn't bring the side panels all the way to the walls, ending them at the bottom of the roof beams. Using 1 3/4" wide strips of 1/2" ply on those edges keeps them stiff. Doing it this way allowed me to make simple straight cuts instead of having to fit everything.
That is a great build strategy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts