Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/d/mercedes-unimog-404-cant-be/6470295415.html

I sent him a link to this Unimog for sale over ten years ago and he bought it the next day. The thing has most of it's original equipment in the radio box, plus some giant modern electrical power system stuff (5000 watt inverter, and another 2000 watt one?) back there for who knows what purpose (owner before him).

It's way underpriced, a chop shop would make make a killing selling the parts. If you want a REAL offroad camper, take a look at this and stop trying to make your plumber van into an offroad capable vehicle.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Oh, that's funny. Close to my old neighborhood, too.

I may even have seen it. There is (or was) a shop on Old County Rd. that specialized in Pinzgauers and possibly dabbled in Unimogs as well.

Yes, fun toy, great for off-road. But makes absolutely no sense on the Peninsula - where would you drive it? If it's only good for 35mph on the highway (and I understand it would be a beast at that speed!), it'll take days to get anywhere you could take advantage of its capabilities.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was leading a wilderness trip up in the Redwoods, basecamp was at Prairie Creek Gold Bluffs campground, and he drove it all the way up there! I think he said it took 10-11 hours. I did another trip up near Covelo, at Yolla Bolly wilderness, and he drove to that one, too. We have some neat footage of a creek crossing that's needed to get to the site we stayed at near Howard Lake; I had to get a little run at it with my Sprinter because the hill coming out the other side is steep and I didn't want to stop with my rear wheels still in a foot water in the creek, I dragged my rear bumper because of the angle, but he just idles through it like he was in a parking lot. It really is a monster off road. They are basically 4x4 tractors that you can drive on the highway.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SOLD. Took almost a whole day at that price. Everyone told him it was way too cheap. He just wanted it gone asap, like tearing off a bandaid. He said if he had to think about it much he'd keep it.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Back in the '70s, we used to take our VW bus out to Gold Bluff regularly.
Been decades since we've been down to Prairie Creek. Used to love the hike our to Fern Canyon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts