Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This informational only and not a discussion about using a portable ac, single house vs. dual hose, or cost/value of running off batteries.

Goal was to be able to run a/c on shore power (for long run times) or on my solar/battery system (for short run times).

Van: insulated Ford Transit T-250 High Roof 148
A/C: LG portable a/c (LP1015WNR)
Solar/Battery setup: Goal Zero Yeti 1400 Lithium (1,500 watts/3,000 surge), with 300 watts solar, battery-to-battery charging to the vehicle, and shore power hookup.

Challenge: startup surge for the compressor exceeded the capacity of my Goal Zero Yeti.
Solution: Micro-Air easystart 364-x20-ip

My Goal Zero Yeti 1400 Lithium can start the compressor and run cool air using this unit with the Micro-Air easystart soft start installed for about 1.5 hours - could add additional battery ($) capacity to add run time.

The portable air conditioning unit, LP1015WNR (10,000 BTU), has an LRA of 40.0A and an RLA of 9.6A. I don't have equipment that can measure the exact surge before/after installation of the easystart. So far, I've got about 80 hours on this setup without issue.

While driving, the unit is secured behind the driver seat using D-rings through my wood paneling secured to rivenuts I installed throughout the van.

When parked, I place the portable a/c on the driver seat, facing the year of the van, and ven the single hose through the driver window via a window port I made from plywood that fiis within the window channels on the tops and sides and has a channel for the window to slide up into on the bottom to create a "secure" seal.

I insulate the exhaust hose with reflectix via velcro straps to reduce heat transfer from the hose to the van. The van is not 100% air tight so I don't suffer from negative air pressure with "cooler" air seeping in from under the van.

The angle of the portable a/c fan blows strong and sends the cool air along the roof and down over the bed in the back of the van.

Attached is the wiring diagram for the LG air conditioner, annotated with red for how to hook up the easystart 364. Simple installation process, however I spend a lot of time triple checking everything and microair (easystart) customer support was very helpful in verifying my installation was correct.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Regarding this 1.5 hours, is that constantly on with the compressor and fan or is that cycling to maintain a certain temperature inside with another temperature outside? Higher temperature differential will obviously require more run time. Maybe some inside/outside temperature data along with how the A/C cycles would round out the information better.

After you've run the A/C from your battery setup for 1.5 hours, what does it take to get your batteries up to full again using only vehicle charging?

For completeness, what's your vehicle charging setup as well?

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Thanks for posting . I have the exact ac unit and soft start but gave up on the wiring . Good job by you !

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Today's shore power test:

Outside temp of 91F and 38% humidity, van parked in full sun.
Inside Van initial temp of 95F - 45 minutes running to bring the inside temp down to 77F and maintain this temperature.

Note that van is insulated with a combination of materials: rockwool and polyiso board. Windows have reflectix.

Note also that rear windows and side cargo sliding door window have white perforated vinyl wrap which helps reflect heat.

If I recall correctly, using my 10amp battery-to-battery charger (goal zero's), plus 200 watts full sun, takes about 5 hours to bring my Goal Zero from 10% to 100% charge

In the future, I'll run some more "scientific" tests on battery use.

1. Idle engine with a/c to bring temp to 78F, then see how long the goal zero setup can run the LG portable A/C to maintain temperature.
2. do not idle engine, the see how long the goal zero can run to knock the temperature down.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Update. It’s about 1.5 hours later. outside temp is 92F. Inside van temp in the back half of the van is 73F, front half is 83F.

Note that 1.5 hours ago, I turned off the mini-fridge.

Daniel

Today's shore power test:

Outside temp of 91F and 38% humidity, van parked in full sun.
Inside Van initial temp of 95F - 45 minutes running to bring the inside temp down to 77F and maintain this temperature.

Note that van is insulated with a combination of materials: rockwool and polyiso board. Windows have reflectix.

Note also that rear windows and side cargo sliding door window have white perforated vinyl wrap which helps reflect heat.

If I recall correctly, using my 10amp battery-to-battery charger (goal zero's), plus 200 watts full sun, takes about 5 hours to bring my Goal Zero from 10% to 100% charge

In the future, I'll run some more "scientific" tests on battery use.

1. Idle engine with a/c to bring temp to 78F, then see how long the goal zero setup can run the LG portable A/C to maintain temperature.
2. do not idle engine, the see how long the goal zero can run to knock the temperature down.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The temp now, with the mini-fridge off is at 71F. So, the mini-fridge produces quite a bit of heat, hmmm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts