Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I plumbed my house with Pex 19 years ago and I used Pex compression fittings, Which Ace Hardware still sells. Only tools needed to install are 2 Crescent wrenches.
Only 1 leak in 19 years, A outside water faucet.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
The step drills worked great for me for making or expanding holes for plus nuts.
I used the existing van holes for 1/4-20NC Plusnuts without expanding the holes. A light tap with a hammer inserted the Plusnuts into the holes.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I do plan to use pex tubing. Do you have a preference for the two types of crimping tools/rings or clamps that you suggested? I see that there is also a version by Sharkbite that just pushes in without an external clamp. I think that would make me nervous.
I used shark bite fittings in my cottage and van. They work great and I’ve never had a leak They are expensive but so are the tools so it just depends on how many you need

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used shark bite fittings in my cottage and van. They work great and I’ve never had a leak They are expensive but so are the tools so it just depends on how many you need
I agree with sharkbite fittings being much easier, but much more expensive, so it does depend on how many you need. At least for me, anytime plumbing is involved, I always need to make several runs to the hardware store for something else. Based on the research I did, I ended up buying the cinch strap style because many seemed to prefer it. Either is good. The only negative I read about with the crimp ring type is the 1" crimp rings have a greater tendency to cause problems (leaks), but I cant't imagine needing 1" tubing in a van conversion

·
Registered
160 Posts
There are so many tools needed to do a complete build out on your own that it is worth considering other options. I am almost afraid to add up what I have invested in tools and parts just to do van electrical systems. Even with this investment, I always order heavier duty wire (1/0 type sizes) as it is actually cheaper to buy than to build even the highest quality USA made wire / lugs vs doing at home. DIY builders just can't compete with a company buying 10K wire lugs and 1000 ft rolls of wire at a time.

I don't normally promote the idea, but in addition to our van electrical kits, I also occassionally will have customers come to the shop and rent the use of it for the day. Tools, wire, parts, etc. Maybe you can find something like that near your location.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts