Ford Transit USA Forum banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2020 T-250 AWD Blue MR 148" WB 3.5
42 Posts
I’ve been getting around 17mpg unloaded around the central Vermont in the mountains with temperatures in the 20’s with the base level engine. I am very easy on the throttle and the snow, hills, and dirt roads are normally not kind to mpg’s. Only driven through a few tanks so far.

·
Registered
2020 AWD 350 reg length medium height dual sliding doors gray
18 Posts
Have not seen any of the 2020 Transit owners with AWD post anything about their MPG ratings. We know the base rear axle ratio is the 3.73 Limited Slip rear axle and with the 10 speed transmission, it has the final comparative ending ratio to the 3.31 ratio with the 6 speed automatic transmission on the 2015-19 RWD models.
My transit 350 awd mid roof short wheel base gets 16.9 city driving

·
Registered
5 Posts
These numbers seem crazy! Makes me want to send mine back to the dealership.

2020 AWD high roof, 3.5 eco boost
Just drove to NY from Boulder, Colorado and back for the holidays. Straight and flat as a pancake for a total of 4k miles round trip. 11.5mpg. These are the first miles on the van.
Empty or full, 66 or 75mph didn't seem to make a difference. I drive on eco mode and it was all highway.

I installed the Goodrich KO2s, everything else is stock. I've seen others with lifts, beefier and bigger tires getting better MPG.

Do MPGs get better with more mileage?

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
2,259 Posts
Are you taking into account the larger tire diameter? With every revolution of the wheel the Transit thinks you have gone 87.96 inches, but if you have a larger tire since the KO2 doesn't come in stock sizes, then you are going a little further. What tire size do you have?

·
Registered
150 Posts
These numbers seem crazy! Makes me want to send mine back to the dealership.

2020 AWD high roof, 3.5 eco boost
Just drove to NY from Boulder, Colorado and back for the holidays. Straight and flat as a pancake for a total of 4k miles round trip. 11.5mpg. These are the first miles on the van.
Empty or full, 66 or 75mph didn't seem to make a difference. I drive on eco mode and it was all highway.

I installed the Goodrich KO2s, everything else is stock. I've seen others with lifts, beefier and bigger tires getting better MPG.

Do MPGs get better with more mileage?

Yeah, it sucks. I didn't do my research. I bought the van because an opportunity popped up, and have been really disappointed in the MPGs I am getting from the "eco" boost. I try to be a good environmental steward. I also try not to eat fast food. But driving this van, I might as well be sitting in the McDonald's drive-thru.

I kind of wish I got a Sprinter every time I fill up (a lot), but that has other downsides, so I think the grass would always seem greener either way.

I haven't seen better mileage from anyone else with an AWD, and it doesn't seem like the RWD eco-boost vans are any better. Into headwinds (which seems to be always), I get about 11-11.5. Without wind, I get 12.5 to 12.9. That's all indicated on the dash, btw, and I do have 245/75/16 KO2s. So it may actually be different if I actually calculated it (which I haven't).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, it sucks. I didn't do my research. I bought the van because an opportunity popped up, and have been really disappointed in the MPGs I am getting from the "eco" boost. I try to be a good environmental steward. I also try not to eat fast food. But driving this van, I might as well be sitting in the McDonald's drive-thru.

I kind of wish I got a Sprinter every time I fill up (a lot), but that has other downsides, so I think the grass would always seem greener either way.

I haven't seen better mileage from anyone else with an AWD, and it doesn't seem like the RWD eco-boost vans are any better. Into headwinds (which seems to be always), I get about 11-11.5. Without wind, I get 12.5 to 12.9. That's all indicated on the dash, btw, and I do have 245/75/16 KO2s. So it may actually be different if I actually calculated it (which I haven't).
Thanks for verifying my bad dream. McDonalds it is! I guess the sprinter diesel is worth the extra 9K if you account for gas mileage. Live and learn, I bought mine for the large angled cup holder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Are you taking into account the larger tire diameter? With every revolution of the wheel the Transit thinks you have gone 87.96 inches, but if you have a larger tire since the KO2 doesn't come in stock sizes, then you are going a little further. What tire size do you have?
I haven't, I have LT255 /70 R16

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
2,259 Posts
Thanks for verifying my bad dream. McDonalds it is!
Don't use the drive through! You will be too tall.

I guess the sprinter diesel is worth the extra 9K if you account for gas mileage.
I really doubt that. Every diesel versus gasoline cost benefit analysis shows that it can take 10 or more years to recover the 'savings' of diesel, and thats only for people who drive a lot of miles. There are also higher than I would be comfortable with occurrences of DPF filters throwing the vehicle into limp home mode, and when you travel there may not be a Sprinter dealer in your half of the state. If you get one with no issues I am sure they are a fantastic vehicle. They seem well built, well appointed, and the ones I have driven feel very solid.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
2,259 Posts
I haven't, I have LT255 /70 R16

So your stock tire rolls 87.96 inches with every revolution, and your KO2 rolls 94.24 inches, difference of about 7 percent. 11.5 mpg indicated is now 12.3. Are you calculating that 11.5 number or relying on the onboard computer? The on board is a little optimistic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So your stock tire rolls 87.96 inches with every revolution, and your KO2 rolls 94.24 inches, difference of about 7 percent. 11.5 mpg indicated is now 12.3. Are you calculating that 11.5 number or relying on the onboard computer? The on board is a little optimistic.
Thanks, I was just using the onboard computer. I'll do a couple tests on the next fill up!

T

·
Registered
7 Posts
12.5 mpg all day everyday ecoboost. 350 MR....90 miles total on clock. Eco mode and engine start stop off with button on first ignition. Excited to see how well it rides with a 4000lb trailer on back from Oregon to Florida in a few weeks . Manual says shouldn't tow till 1000 miles on clock, not sure if thats a norm but going to listen, and rack up miles then head cross good.ol America... Loven my Transit though, big A$# window love it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have not seen any of the 2020 Transit owners with AWD post anything about their MPG ratings. We know the base rear axle ratio is the 3.73 Limited Slip rear axle and with the 10 speed transmission, it has the final comparative ending ratio to the 3.31 ratio with the 6 speed automatic transmission on the 2015-19 RWD models.
I'm thinking it's using a front brake to effect steering and I have observed better mileage with it turned off.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
2020 148” high roof AWD non turbo 4:10 gearing. Picked it up from the dealer and drive straight to Indy getting 16.3 with lane assistance off. I’m leaving for Albuquerque tomorrow and will update after that longer stretch. I kept it between 65-73 mph mostly.

·
Registered
2020 Crew Van AWD, 148WB HR, 3.5 Ecoboost
130 Posts
2020 HR 148" WB Ecoboost AWD, 3.73 axle. Drove from MO->MN->CA with adaptive cruise set between 70-75 for most of the journey. At times we were driving around 50mph due to severe weather, but that was probably 100 miles in total. Hand calculated average over the course of the entire journey was 15.3 mpg. Some fillups were around 18, others around 13. About what I expected, I suppose.

BTW I use an app called Fuelio to track my gas fillups on all my vehicles.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm at around 13.5 mpg 148 WB HR EL AWD. split between city driving and mountain driving unloaded. Stock tires. I drive with a very heavy foot, and highway average around 74 mph. Can't say I'm surprised. I get about 15 mpg in Ecoboost F150 crew cab or Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

When I got a 10 mile to empty warning (and drove another 7 miles), I filled up 28 gallons. So I had 3 gallons left in the fuel tank at "Empty"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Awesome. Went to Mounthood to drop off God son from Troutdale Oregon. Logged in 110ish round trip miles. First true trip for the van ecoboost, which first 80 miles was showing 12.6 mpgs on dash, with time mileage rating was going up, pulled into driveway at 15mpg. Drove lovely up the mountain, awd and transmission feels very engaged. Nice connection from the go pedal to the wheels. Enjoying the large window still. Excited to take cross country soon. Manual says towing should wait till 1000miles before towing, but Im feeling froggy to tow ASAP as i would have to drive another 800miles before doing the right thing...idk what yall think, im aware its a blah blah question but interested to hear what you would do? Enjoy yalls ride.

·
Premium Member
2021 R2X high roof long carbonized gray - TURBOCHARGED!
481 Posts
Does anyone use actual fueling data versus their tripmeter? The first thing I do when I get a new vehicle is add it to my account at Fuelly.com and then text my fueling data in each time (mileage, $, and gallons). Trackable over years, comparable to other similar vehicles, and way more accurate that the van's computer. Plus it will alert you when you're due for maintenance.

Here are some Transits:

Then instead of reading random posts asking what people get, you can just browse hundreds of fill-ups across millions of miles. That first transit group says, "223 Ford Transits have provided 2.8 million miles of real world fuel economy & MPG data." Too bad that includes zero 2019 or 2020s.

·
Registered
2020 148 HR 250 converted by AVC RIG
5 Posts
Does anyone use actual fueling data versus their tripmeter? The first thing I do when I get a new vehicle is add it to my account at Fuelly.com and then text my fueling data in each time (mileage, $, and gallons). Trackable over years, comparable to other similar vehicles, and way more accurate that the van's computer. Plus it will alert you when you're due for maintenance.

Here are some Transits:

Then instead of reading random posts asking what people get, you can just browse hundreds of fill-ups across millions of miles. That first transit group says, "223 Ford Transits have provided 2.8 million miles of real world fuel economy & MPG data." Too bad that includes zero 2019 or 2020s.
I log my van into Fuely.. the problem is that it does not indicate roof height.. over my reading of these posts, I feel confident the HR I have has significantly lower fuel mileage then the MR

·
Registered
10 Posts
2020 148” high roof AWD non turbo 4:10 gearing. Picked it up from the dealer and drive straight to Indy getting 16.3 with lane assistance off. I’m leaving for Albuquerque tomorrow and will update after that longer stretch. I kept it between 65-73 mph mostly.
made it back to Albuquerque with the van. Drove great and has just over 1700 miles on it now. High roof, AWD, non turbo, 148”. Averaged 16.2 for the entire trip. Started doing 75 mph from Oklahoma City the rest of the way. Overall very happy. My last vehicle was a cutaway bus with a Chevy 350. Felt much more confident in the transit and very happy with the mileage.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts