Ford Transit USA Forum banner
41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Oh man! I'm picking up my 2020 T250 HR 148" AWD Metallic Grey Ecoboost 3.5L Crewvan later this month at my dealership in Bend and I'll be ecstatic if I get even close to the 19.5MPG you've been getting. Out of curiosity, do you use the ECO drive mode to help get that mileage?

Yes, I use ECO mode.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just took my first trip Detroit to San Francisco. New empty AWD van to 2500 miles. eco boost, eco mode, high roof. I took the 80 the whole way. I too mostly used trip computer but checked it against some math after filling up. The math checks were usually higher. First tank was 14.5 miles, 75-80 and AC blasting. Then 15.6 and I ran out of gas in Iowa. Next tank was 16.9. I think the fasting kicked it into performing better. Lincoln Nebraska to the contantianal divide it about 6000 foot climb that you barely notice over 750 miles. I put a tank of premium in to see if it would help and it was crap. i was getting 13-14 miles with the wind working against me. i was bummed. From western wyoming into Nevada i started drafting off the trucks. Using the adaptive cruise control, shortest car length. i started seeing instant MPG numbers in the low 20's. I hit 19mpg into Reno. Climb up the Donner pass and into Sacramento is like 40 miles down hill and i was at 21mpg for the whole tank, so don't count that. I have the 25 gallon tank and was getting 350 miles when the 50 mile light was coming one. My last tank was at 400 and i still have not got the light on. It was fun playing. What i realized is probably obvious for van people. The wind hurts, speed hurts. 80 mph in gusty winds in western Wyoming was as extreme as i'll have to do.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
2400 mile road trip last week Dallas area through Colorado and back... 17.6 average with fan and 400W of solar panels. HR EB AWD. Cruising speed of 72. I find it low stress to cruise in the right lane with the Adaptive Cruise and let folks pass me on the left. Anecdotally, I believe the lane keeping negatively impacts mileage and the "eco" setting makes a .5 MPG difference at HWY cruising speeds.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We are on the road for this first time since completing our 2020 AWD build. 1500+ miles with and average MPG of 15.2. We are fully loaded on rural highways in Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana. 70+ MPH is not uncommon. MPG was 15.7 for the first 900 miles on this trip but strong head winds in the past few days have reduced our mileage. Our van now has a total of 4000 miles since new.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A data point,
I have a 2020 150 LR 10 Passenger XLT AWD 3.5L V6 with a 10 speed and 3.73 LS axle.
I removed 8 of the 10 seats leaving only the Drivers and front Passenger seat. Added a cot, sleeping bag, cooler, one burner stove, food and suit case. Drove from OR to TX and back at speed limit on cruise control (~6,000 miles). Ford's milage computer fuel economy reads 19.8 mpg.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have not seen any of the 2020 Transit owners with AWD post anything about their MPG ratings. We know the base rear axle ratio is the 3.73 Limited Slip rear axle and with the 10 speed transmission, it has the final comparative ending ratio to the 3.31 ratio with the 6 speed automatic transmission on the 2015-19 RWD models.
Driving my 250 MR 148 9070 Ecoboost back to California with no load from Buchner - I got 15.5 mpg across Nebraska - went down to 15 across Wyoming driving 80 mph - 14.9 heading to mountains in Wyoming and through Utah and into Nevada at 75-77 mph - back up to 15 mpg from Reno to San Francisco. Ran with the Adaptive Cruise Control on almost all the time.
The turbos actually kicked in when I would be able to move to the fast lane when getting stuck for a minute behind a slow truck. :cool:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Switched to premium fuel as an experiment and road trip MPG has gone from 17.6 to 18.1 this weekend,.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
250 hr 148 wb. Oem aluminum wheels and tires.

When i reset the fuel economy on highway. I could get it down to 12.3-12.5liters per 100km.

Local will run above 16L/100km. Especially every traffic light will instantly add 0.1 or 0.2liter for idle and acceleration.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'm thinking it's using a front brake to effect steering and I have observed better mileage with it turned off.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Yep! Stability Control, Wind Assist, AWD all work by cycling the brakes momentarily. The core of the systems were initially developed for open diff AWD as used in BMW, Accura and MB and other SUV's. They were then developed into the stability and traction control systems that are now on all new vehicles.

If you have a Qugley or a QuadVan with true 4WD and locking diffs, you have to turn it all off when you go off-road otherwise they get into a fight with each other.

·
Registered
2020 148 HR 250 converted by AVC RIG
5 Posts
My first week of ownership.. drove ~300 miles around colorado, then home to MN 1500 miles.
2020 HR 250 with about 1000lbs added.. AWD 3.73 Ecoboost we are at 13.5 MPG average..

It should be noted, we drove 75 to 80 almost all the way home

·
Registered
89 Posts
After 6 months, 5,311 miles, 238.5 hrs van is showing 14.2 us mpg. All with 245/75r16 tires. Actual miles and mpg is about 8% more with correction for bigger tires.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Just got back from another road trip and still averaging 17.6 mpg for the trip (mostly highway, eco mode, cruise set for 72). Around town 14.5 or so in daily driving. Van now has 10,600 miles on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm trying to decide between AWD and RWD. Can I assume the AWD is about 2 mpg less (driving about 60 mph) than the RWD? Thanks!
I'm looking for the same info. What are the actual advantages to AWD, esp if you don't have the clearance to handle really rough roads?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
What are the actual advantages to AWD, esp if you don't have the clearance to handle really rough roads?
Here are a few I know from my own experiences:
  1. Not getting stuck on flat ground with wet grass.
  2. Being able to get back out of a dispersed NP camp via a forest road when it rained hard overnight.
  3. Being able to stay on your travel schedule when passes close to non 4x4 vehicles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
MPG update: 2020 AWD T-150, 3.5 eco, 3.73, low-roof = 19.6 mpg for the first 2600 miles with no resetting, town and city roads. Why AWD, that's Easy, it's Maine and its WINTER= Snow, Snow, Snow, Ice, Snow , Ice, and more Snow!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm thinking it's using a front brake to effect steering and I have observed better mileage with it turned off.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
This might explain the additional brake dust I observed on my left front wheel on a trip from SF to Portland recently. I thought that it was a bit odd because I didn't feel any drag and it wasn't pulling to that side. But there was definitely a lot of dust on that wheel and I was dealing with a lot of wind. I only got about 12.2 avg MPG on the trip cruising all highways 70-77 MPH. This was with new 245/75/R16 tires. The van's squirrelier in wind and corners for sure.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts