Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have not seen any of the 2020 Transit owners with AWD post anything about their MPG ratings. We know the base rear axle ratio is the 3.73 Limited Slip rear axle and with the 10 speed transmission, it has the final comparative ending ratio to the 3.31 ratio with the 6 speed automatic transmission on the 2015-19 RWD models.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm curious what the #s are as well. Friend is considering the AWD Transit, I'd actually consider downsizing, mostly due to MPG. The 10 speed auto might help too. It doesn't make sense to run the big dually vs our 15 year old Subaru station wagon for a weekend trip, costs an extra $60-100 in gas for a slightly nicer driving experience and more space than I need (I'd rather blow that on a nice dinner).

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
It will be interesting to see real-world numbers, like on Fuelly.
A lot of the self-reported mpg numbers seem suspicious.

Reactions: therabbittree

·
Registered
F250 Transit AWD 2020
3 Posts
Have not seen any of the 2020 Transit owners with AWD post anything about their MPG ratings. We know the base rear axle ratio is the 3.73 Limited Slip rear axle and with the 10 speed transmission, it has the final comparative ending ratio to the 3.31 ratio with the 6 speed automatic transmission on the 2015-19 RWD models.
I'm getting around 15mpg with the standard engine, no eco boost, transit awd 2020, 250 chasis

·
Registered
290 Posts
I got 12-13 on my 1500mi drive from picking mine up. 148, MR, AWD, ecoboost, 3.73, empty cargo van.
That was an indicated 13.9 until I got to Wyoming which is consistently hilly and windy it dropped to 12.9
This was maybe a touch lower than expected, although I was pushing speed limits the WHOLE way and no city driving.
I expect combined 13-14 filled with junk.
At the same time it was a sigh of relief over the 7-8mpg my E350 v10 4x4 got a year earlier on the same/similar drive.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
I got 12-13 on my 1500mi drive from picking mine up. 148, MR, AWD, ecoboost, 3.73, empty cargo van.
That was an indicated 13.9 until I got to Wyoming which is consistently hilly and windy it dropped to 12.9
This was maybe a touch lower than expected, although I was pushing speed limits the WHOLE way and no city driving.
I expect combined 13-14 filled with junk.
At the same time it was a sigh of relief over the 7-8mpg my E350 v10 4x4 got a year earlier on the same/similar drive.
It's all relative. There really is no reason why Transits can't be 20mpg vans in real-world driving (not EPA estimates) other than Ford engineering them for the USA market demand of more power than needed. The Euro models seem to be fitted very well. The UK version with 2.0 diesel gets 33mpg in USA gallons. (to convert UK to USA, take UK mpg and multiply by .83). I think a similarly equipped AWD Transit would easily exceed 25mpg, even loaded. Why can't we have nice things?!

Of course the USA has different emissions and acceleration requirements, as well as crash-test requirements that might impact mpg due to more steel/weight.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hmm. I get like 13 or 14 with the dually, so not a huge improvement. If I stick to 55mph I get like 16 or 17mpg but it's almost never worth prolonging the drive, especially now the Arco down the road is at $2.09/gal for regular.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Its a good time to be a gas-guzzling Ford owner with "negative" oil prices; the 14-ish mpg I've gotten in my first 1K miles on the 2020 350 eco boost AWD gas engine doesn't sting so much. I don't expect real-world mileage after completing the campervan build to ever be above 14 mpg based on what I've seen so far, but fuel efficiency isn't the reason anyone drives a 306 hp 4-ton camper.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Again, lowest price ever in history for gasoline; adjusted for inflation.

Too bad there's nowhere to go! That would save me a whopping $75 on a roundtrip drive to the Grand Canyon or Las Vegas.

Reactions: Vanpackr

·
Registered
91 Posts
Nowhere to go, yes exactly. We moved to the PNW expecting lots of miles in road trips around WA and BC. Now the Transit is on a trickle charger in the driveway. Of course that will change, it might be that come summer, going camping will be one of the few things we'll be able to do.

Arco is down to 1.99, but we've only filled up the Subaru over the last six weeks, because it was on empty already. 1.99, though, I remember filling up my '86 Honda at that price a couple decades ago.

Does the AWD have higher ground clearance than 2wd? I've taken my dually on some rutted muddy roads and traction wasn't so much a problem as ground clearance. Especially the long rear end hits the ground. I can't get the van in our driveway if it is fully loaded, as the threshold is too abrupt.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Does the AWD have higher ground clearance than 2wd? I've taken my dually on some rutted muddy roads and traction wasn't so much a problem as ground clearance. Especially the long rear end hits the ground. I can't get the van in our driveway if it is fully loaded, as the threshold is too abrupt.
Good question.
If it has the same size tires, then it has the same ground clearance. Unless it's a completely different differential, driveline mount, and suspension system than the 2wd. I have the feeling that this wasn't designed for rough roads, but for slick surfaces like snow/ice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does the AWD have higher ground clearance than 2wd?
Good question.
The AWD Transit ride height is the same as the RWD Transit.

I've read it in a few places, tried to find it in the Ford literature. This came up first:

"Unlike the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 4x4—the only [other] full-size van to offer all-wheel drive—the all-wheel-drive Transit maintains the same ride height as its rear-drive brethren."
- Car & Driver

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm trying to decide between AWD and RWD. Can I assume the AWD is about 2 mpg less (driving about 60 mph) than the RWD? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I just drove my 2020 AWD 250 with the EcoBoost 1900 miles home and got an average of 13.6mpg. That was almost entirely highway driving with an average moving speed for the whole trip of 68mph. The headwinds across South Dakota and Montana definitely killed the 15.2 average I had before those states.
What drive mode did you have selected?

1 - 20 of 100 Posts