Ford Transit USA Forum banner

101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
At 10,390 miles, 15.3 mpg average, hand calculated.
130 WB, 2016 3.7 med roof, Quigley 4x4 cargo van converted to RV with 2 rectangular solar panels sticking 3 inches above roof line, a ceiling fan, and always carrying around 1500 to 2000 pounds.

Not sure if it matters or why, but I live in a humid climate. For 2090 miles in the dry climate of Utah I got 16.4 mpg average hand calculated. Also consistently got my best numbers from the onboard computer (max 18-20 mpg range).

·
Registered
671 Posts
... Utah I got 16.4 mpg average hand calculated. ...
Air is thinner at the higher altitude. Makes a difference. Gasoline formulation is also different (lower octane), and that may or may not influence apparent fuel economy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
5 refills since I got the caribou beast, always the high octane stuff 92 or 93, and most miles on the Jersey Turnpike at just about 60mph...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good info, thank you everyone. Will be picking up a reg roof short wheelbase 3.7 soon. Waiting for a good used passenger version to pop up locally. Will be picking up a mid roof in a few more years to build a basic camper with also. Mileage isn't stellar I suppose but its a low torque high ish revving 3.7 liter v6. We have an 07 Gm van with a 5.3. On the highway I've gotten as high as 20.9, locally average around 17. Most highway jaunts average 18.5 to 19.5. I put firestone destinations on last time and lost some, due for tires again. Wish I could remember what used to be on there... Will bite the bullet and go Michelin this time I think. Will be keeping for several more years.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Got my best avg so far today. 2016 low roof plain old van, no special anything like ecoboost etc. This was after about 60 miles of combined city and interstate driving.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Last road trip, Texas, Oklahoma,New Mexico, S California, and back. Least use of freeways cruising at 2,000 rpm. And what surprised me was my hand calculated mpg agreed pretty close to the trip mpg !!

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
From Houston, Texas to Bangor, Maine, all highway miles--generally at about 71-73 mph, averaged over the whole trip on the so-called "lie-o-meter": 19.3 mpg

·
Registered
274 Posts
13.6mpg over mixed SoCal driving, mostly around town. I've seen close to 17mpg on a road trip to SF with cruise set at 70mph and lightly loaded.
That seems about right. I work San Diego, Orange and Riverside counties. My mileage varies from tank to tank depending mostly on where I go. The OC-SDC route is quite a bit flatter and I can get 16+ on that side. SDC-RC is more like 14.5 to 15. If I do some city driving that quickly falls below 14.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The single biggest factor for me is wind. One trip from Texas to Arizona into stiff gusty headwind cruising conservatively managed 14.6. On return trip I had pretty much the same wind but now at my back, averaged 20,7. The load and my driving habits were the same.
Recently towed my 16' aluminum fishing boat with a wooden kayak in the boat from East Texas to Fort Worth mostly Hwy 80 then I20 averaged 16.2, didn't feel like I was towing anything.

MM

·
Registered
10 Posts
Picked up a 3.7 medium roof 148 weekend style build transit. has a van compas lift and 245 tires BFG KO2 tires on it. aluminess roof rack and a pedal box on it.
ive noticed thru a gps speedo that my mph was 72mph when the transit was saying 65. ( to be expected) its also showing my average mpg being 12.9..i need to do the math hoping that smore like 14-15 reality. thinking about doing a fairing on the aluminess rack .cant imagine it being much heavier than a passenger van with all the seats in it. we have just a 2 person bench. i am going to weigh it at my work today on our scale and see what the total weight is.

101 - 112 of 112 Posts